* How to search emails in Gnus?
@ 2012-07-24 16:40 Marius Hofert
       [not found] ` <mailman.5506.1343152278.855.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Marius Hofert @ 2012-07-24 16:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Hi,

I recently realized that I have (require 'nnir) in my ~/.gnus.el but I am missing some nnir-related functions. Do I have to download nnir.el and load it or should it come/be installed with Gnus by default?

How do you search for Mails at a specific date, e.g., 2012-03-04?
I tried it with C-u G G, then DATE and "2012-03-04", but it didn't work.

Cheers,

Marius

* Re: How to search emails in Gnus?
@ 2012-07-24 17:50 ` Tassilo Horn
       [not found] ` <mailman.5506.1343152278.855.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2012-07-24 17:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Marius Hofert <marius.hofert@math.ethz.ch> writes:

> I recently realized that I have (require 'nnir) in my ~/.gnus.el but I
> am missing some nnir-related functions.

Basically, there's only one user-frontend function:
gnus-group-make-nnir-group bound to `G G' in *Group*.

> Do I have to download nnir.el and load it or should it come/be
> installed with Gnus by default?

It comes with Gnus.  You don't even need to configure anything for
searching IMAP and Gmane groups.

> How do you search for Mails at a specific date, e.g., 2012-03-04?  I
> tried it with C-u G G, then DATE and "2012-03-04", but it didn't work.

I assume you're searching an IMAP group.  In that case, you can use the
IMAP SEARCH language directly.

  C-u G G ON "17-Aug-2011" RET imap RET
          ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

The underlined thingy is the actual search query.  ON <date> gives you
all messages registered at the imap server at that date.  For more IMAP
search capabilities, have a look at the spec:

  http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc1730#section-6.4.4

Bye,
Tassilo

* Re: How to search emails in Gnus?
@ 2012-07-24 19:51   ` prad
From: prad @ 2012-07-24 19:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

>> How do you search for Mails at a specific date, e.g., 2012-03-04?  I
>> tried it with C-u G G, then DATE and "2012-03-04", but it didn't work.
>
> I assume you're searching an IMAP group.  In that case, you can use the
> IMAP SEARCH language directly.
>
>   C-u G G ON "17-Aug-2011" RET imap RET
>           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> The underlined thingy is the actual search query.  ON <date> gives you
> all messages registered at the imap server at that date.

i can't seem to get this to work always see this message:
Couldn't request group: Search produced empty results.

it doesn't matter what i put into the query.

i'll keep trying some of the commands show in the IMAP4 Keyword Index.
i'm probably doing something illegible with the language.

--
in friendship,
prad

@ 2012-07-24 20:45   ` Marius Hofert
From: Marius Hofert @ 2012-07-24 20:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu.emacs.gnus; +Cc: info-gnus-english

On Tuesday, July 24, 2012 7:50:47 PM UTC+2, Tassilo Horn wrote:
> Marius Hofert &lt;marius.hofert@math.ethz.ch&gt; writes:
>
> &gt; I recently realized that I have (require &#39;nnir) in my ~/.gnus.el but I
> &gt; am missing some nnir-related functions.
>
> Basically, there&#39;s only one user-frontend function:
> gnus-group-make-nnir-group bound to `G G&#39; in *Group*.
>
> &gt; Do I have to download nnir.el and load it or should it come/be
> &gt; installed with Gnus by default?
>
> It comes with Gnus.  You don&#39;t even need to configure anything for
> searching IMAP and Gmane groups.
>
> &gt; How do you search for Mails at a specific date, e.g., 2012-03-04?  I
> &gt; tried it with C-u G G, then DATE and &quot;2012-03-04&quot;, but it didn&#39;t work.
>
> I assume you&#39;re searching an IMAP group.  In that case, you can use the
> IMAP SEARCH language directly.
>
>   C-u G G ON &quot;17-Aug-2011&quot; RET imap RET
>           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> The underlined thingy is the actual search query.  ON &lt;date&gt; gives you
> all messages registered at the imap server at that date.  For more IMAP
> search capabilities, have a look at the spec:
>
>   http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc1730#section-6.4.4
>
> Bye,
> Tassilo

Thanks a lot, Tassilo, this page is precisely what I was looking for.

@ 2012-07-24 21:00   ` Marius Hofert
       [not found]     ` <mailman.5538.1343200308.855.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Marius Hofert @ 2012-07-24 21:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu.emacs.gnus; +Cc: info-gnus-english

On Tuesday, July 24, 2012 7:50:47 PM UTC+2, Tassilo Horn wrote:
> Marius Hofert &lt;marius.hofert@math.ethz.ch&gt; writes:
>
> &gt; I recently realized that I have (require &#39;nnir) in my ~/.gnus.el but I
> &gt; am missing some nnir-related functions.
>
> Basically, there&#39;s only one user-frontend function:
> gnus-group-make-nnir-group bound to `G G&#39; in *Group*.
>
> &gt; Do I have to download nnir.el and load it or should it come/be
> &gt; installed with Gnus by default?
>
> It comes with Gnus.  You don&#39;t even need to configure anything for
> searching IMAP and Gmane groups.
>
> &gt; How do you search for Mails at a specific date, e.g., 2012-03-04?  I
> &gt; tried it with C-u G G, then DATE and &quot;2012-03-04&quot;, but it didn&#39;t work.
>
> I assume you&#39;re searching an IMAP group.  In that case, you can use the
> IMAP SEARCH language directly.
>
>   C-u G G ON &quot;17-Aug-2011&quot; RET imap RET
>           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> The underlined thingy is the actual search query.  ON &lt;date&gt; gives you
> all messages registered at the imap server at that date.  For more IMAP
> search capabilities, have a look at the spec:
>
>   http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc1730#section-6.4.4
>
> Bye,
> Tassilo

One more question: How do you know how the date format looks like? Apparently it matters, I tried "2012-08-17" (international date format) and it didn't work.

* Re: How to search emails in Gnus?
@ 2012-07-25  7:11     ` Tassilo Horn
       [not found]     ` <mailman.5538.1343200308.855.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2012-07-25  7:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Marius Hofert <marius.hofert@math.ethz.ch> writes:

Hi Marius,

>>   C-u G G ON &quot;17-Aug-2011&quot; RET imap RET
>>           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>>
>> The underlined thingy is the actual search query.  ON &lt;date&gt;
>> gives you all messages registered at the imap server at that date.
>> For more IMAP search capabilities, have a look at the spec:
>>
>>   http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc1730#section-6.4.4
>
> One more question: How do you know how the date format looks like?
> Apparently it matters, I tried "2012-08-17" (international date
> format) and it didn't work.

Yes, that's a bit annoying.  IMAP doesn't specify the date format on its
own (AFAICS), but if references the standard email spec at several
places.  That defines the date format here:

But according to that spec it should by "17 Aug 2012" which doesn't work
for me.  I have to replace the spaces with hyphens.  Well, in the end
googling for "imap search examples" shows you the right syntax.

BTW, I accidentally referenced an obsole spec.  The current version is
here:

  http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2060#section-6.4.4

Bye,
Tassilo

@ 2012-07-25 13:01       ` Marius Hofert
From: Marius Hofert @ 2012-07-25 13:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu.emacs.gnus; +Cc: info-gnus-english

I can confirm: It also does not work under my setup for "17 Aug 2011".
Thanks for the links, Tassilo.

Cheers,

Marius