* Re: IMAP newbie, not getting any messages
       [not found] <2bd747c7.0405121101.4d78b220@posting.google.com>
@ 2004-05-13  8:35 ` Kai Grossjohann
       [not found]   ` <2bd747c7.0405131030.a914a2e@posting.google.com>
From: Kai Grossjohann @ 2004-05-13  8:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

bigfaceworm@hotmail.com (bigfaceworm) writes:

> I read the info pages, and made the following setup:
>
> (add-to-list
>  'gnus-secondary-select-methods
>  '(nnimap "umap"
> 	  (nnimap-address "server.name.com")  ; actual server replaced
>           (nnimap-list-pattern ("INBOX"))))
>
> Then I created a group
>
>   G m outlook RET nnimap:umap RET
>
> I was prompted for my password, the group was created, but I never
> get any email.  My outlook session shows several new and unread
> messages
> (all in the Inbox).  I've tried a list pattern like "*" "Inbox" and
> "INBOX*"
> but nothing seems to help.
>
> I don't see any error messages, just "Group nnimap+umap:outlook
> contains no messages"

Well you should look at the gruop nnimap+umap:INBOX if you want to see
the INBOX group ;-)

Also, I think if you really want to look at the nnimap+umap:outlook
group, then you should provide a list pattern that also shows you this
group.

Finally, some IMAP servers don't allow you to create any group,
the group name has to start with INBOX. or INBOX/ or somesuch.  Not
sure whether this is the case here.

Kai

@ 2004-05-13 21:18     ` Kai Grossjohann
From: Kai Grossjohann @ 2004-05-13 21:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

bigfaceworm@hotmail.com (bigfaceworm) writes:

> It all seems to work just fine, except that my messages get moved to
> nnimap groups - and I'd like them to be moved to the nnmail groups!

This is the point of nnimap -- it is for managing and using nnimap
groups, not nnmail groups.

> Is this possible?  I'd rather not have 2X my groups (one set nnmail and one
> set nnimap).

It is not possible with nnimap, but you can use mail-sources to get
what you want:

(setq mail-sources '((imap :server "your.host" ...)))

> Also, is it possible (when splitting) to leave the messages on the
> original NNIMAP server - just marked as read?  My Outlook will not
> schedule any meetings for me if the articles are deleted.

Huh.  I think there is a setting to prevent mail-sources from deleting
articles from the server.  That's what you want, I think.

Kai

* Re: IMAP newbie, not getting any messages
@ 2004-05-14 19:44       ` bigfaceworm
       [not found]         ` <86u0yh62hf.fsf@slowfox.dyndns.org>
From: bigfaceworm @ 2004-05-14 19:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kai Grossjohann <kai@emptydomain.de> wrote in message news:<87d658qb4d.fsf@emptyhost.emptydomain.de>...
> This is the point of nnimap -- it is for managing and using nnimap
> groups, not nnmail groups.

Right.  Only my Exchange server has a pretty tight limit on the size
of the mailboxes, so I (think I) would like to archive things in my
Unix mailboxes.

But I see your point.

> > Is this possible?  I'd rather not have 2X my groups (one set nnmail and one
> > set nnimap).
>
> It is not possible with nnimap, but you can use mail-sources to get
> what you want:
>
> (setq mail-sources '((imap :server "your.host" ...)))

Ahhh... didn't know about mail-sources.

My Gnus *info* pages are all screwed up.  The build/install of Gnus
never seems to be able to generate them properly, so looking up docs
is kind of hit and miss.  It's much easier using *info* than Google.  ;-)

Thanks for the help.

BFW

@ 2004-05-17 16:36           ` bigfaceworm
From: bigfaceworm @ 2004-05-17 16:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kai Grossjohann <kai.grossjohann@gmx.net> wrote in message news:<86u0yh62hf.fsf@slowfox.dyndns.org>...
> I'm surprised.  I never had problems with the info files for Gnus.
>
> But I run Gnus in-place: I say "./configure" and "make", but not
> "make install".  Then I add the gnus/texi subdir to $INFOPATH, and
> Bob's my uncle.

Here's a snippet of my build (./configure && make)

It's failed for me for the last 3 versions.
Note: I trimmed most of the .elc compilations, and only
show the beginning of the problems with the texi files.

BFW

Wrote /fs32/a/bigface/.elisp/gnus/lisp/webmail.elc
Wrote /fs32/a/bigface/.elisp/gnus/lisp/yenc.elc
make[1]: Leaving directory `/fs32/a/bigface/.elisp/gnus-5.10.6/lisp'
cd texi && make EMACS="emacs" all
make[1]: Entering directory `/fs32/a/bigface/.elisp/gnus-5.10.6/texi'
if test "xmakeinfo" != "xno" ; then \
  makeinfo -I . -o message message.texi; \
else \
  rm -f message; \
  emacs -batch -q -no-site-file -l ./infohack.el -f batch-makeinfo message.texi; \
fi
Making info file `message' from `message.texi'.
message.texi:17: Unknown command `ifnottex'.
message.texi:40: Unmatched `@end'.
message.texi:313: Unknown command `acronym'.
message.texi:313: Misplaced `{'.
message.texi:313: Misplaced `}'.
message.texi:315: Unknown command `acronym'.
message.texi:315: Misplaced `{'.
message.texi:315: Misplaced `}'.
message.texi:507: Unknown command `acronym'.