* prob. bugs in emacs under ubuntu
@ 2008-01-10 17:27 yjgzhang
From: yjgzhang @ 2008-01-10 17:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

I encountered the same problems here with emacs under ubuntu. I used
to use emacs under Fedora and Mandriva. The emacs under those two
linux distributions has no problem at all. But when i transfered to
ubuntu, I have the same problems, i.e., the selected region using
keyboard can not be highlighted. E.g, when you using \C+space mark a
begining of a region, and then using the left or right arrows to move
the cursor, nothing happened (it supposed to extend the region from
the position where \C + space marked). However, when I reach the end
of the region, and using alt+w to cut it, it still works. This problem
is very annoying when you using the keyboard for editing in Emacs,
because you can not see the selected region, they are in darks.

I also try to emacs -q to ignore my profile, the same thing happened.
Does anyone can tell me how to solve this problem?

Thanks.

* Re: prob. bugs in emacs under ubuntu
@ 2008-01-10 17:47 ` Adam Sjøgren
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2008-01-10 17:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

On Thu, 10 Jan 2008 09:27:49 -0800 (PST), yjgzhang@gmail.com wrote:

> I encountered the same problems here with emacs under ubuntu. I used
> to use emacs under Fedora and Mandriva. The emacs under those two
> linux distributions has no problem at all. But when i transfered to
> ubuntu, I have the same problems, i.e., the selected region using
> keyboard can not be highlighted. E.g, when you using \C+space mark a
> begining of a region, and then using the left or right arrows to move
> the cursor, nothing happened (it supposed to extend the region from
> the position where \C + space marked). However, when I reach the end
> of the region, and using alt+w to cut it, it still works. This problem
> is very annoying when you using the keyboard for editing in Emacs,
> because you can not see the selected region, they are in darks.

> I also try to emacs -q to ignore my profile, the same thing happened.
> Does anyone can tell me how to solve this problem?

This has nothing to do with Gnus. Please ask in a relevant newsgroup,
such as - perhaps - gnu.emacs.help.

(Did you turn "Active Regions" off by any chance? Your description
sounds like that is your problem (I always turn the off because I do
*not* want the annoying colouring of regions)).

  Best regards,

--
 "Gravity is arbitrary!"                                      Adam Sjøgren
                                                         asjo@koldfront.dk

* Re: prob. bugs in emacs under ubuntu
@ 2008-01-11 12:38   ` yjgzhang
From: yjgzhang @ 2008-01-11 12:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

On Jan 10, 5:47 pm, a...@koldfront.dk (Adam Sjøgren) wrote:
> On Thu, 10 Jan 2008 09:27:49 -0800 (PST), yjgzh...@gmail.com wrote:
> > I encountered the same problems here with emacs under ubuntu. I used
> > to use emacs under Fedora and Mandriva. The emacs under those two
> > linux distributions has no problem at all. But when i transfered to
> > ubuntu, I have the same problems, i.e., the selected region using
> > keyboard can not be highlighted. E.g, when you using \C+space mark a
> > begining of a region, and then using the left or right arrows to move
> > the cursor, nothing happened (it supposed to extend the region from
> > the position where \C + space marked). However, when I reach the end
> > of the region, and using alt+w to cut it, it still works. This problem
> > is very annoying when you using the keyboard for editing in Emacs,
> > because you can not see the selected region, they are in darks.
> > I also try to emacs -q to ignore my profile, the same thing happened.
> > Does anyone can tell me how to solve this problem?
>
> This has nothing to do with Gnus. Please ask in a relevant newsgroup,
> such as - perhaps - gnu.emacs.help.
>
> (Did you turn "Active Regions" off by any chance? Your description
> sounds like that is your problem (I always turn the off because I do
> *not* want the annoying colouring of regions)).
>
>   Best regards,
>
> --
>  "Gravity is arbitrary!"                                      Adam Sjøgren
>                                                          a...@koldfront.dk

Thanks for your reply

I have checked Transient Mark Mode, it seems that it has been enabled.
But the problem still exists

/***************************************/
Transient Mark Mode: Hide Value Toggle  on (non-nil)
   State: EDITED, shown value does not take effect until you set or
save it.

Non-nil if Transient-Mark mode is enabled. Hide Rest
See the command `transient-mark-mode' for a description of this minor
mode.
Parent groups: Editing Basics

/***************************************/

* Re: prob. bugs in emacs under ubuntu
@ 2008-01-11 14:20     ` yjgzhang
From: yjgzhang @ 2008-01-11 14:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

On Jan 11, 12:38 pm, yjgzh...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Jan 10, 5:47 pm, a...@koldfront.dk (Adam Sjøgren) wrote:
>

> > On Thu, 10 Jan 2008 09:27:49 -0800 (PST), yjgzh...@gmail.com wrote:
> > > I encountered the same problems here with emacs under ubuntu. I used
> > > to use emacs under Fedora and Mandriva. The emacs under those two
> > > linux distributions has no problem at all. But when i transfered to
> > > ubuntu, I have the same problems, i.e., the selected region using
> > > keyboard can not be highlighted. E.g, when you using \C+space mark a
> > > begining of a region, and then using the left or right arrows to move
> > > the cursor, nothing happened (it supposed to extend the region from
> > > the position where \C + space marked). However, when I reach the end
> > > of the region, and using alt+w to cut it, it still works. This problem
> > > is very annoying when you using the keyboard for editing in Emacs,
> > > because you can not see the selected region, they are in darks.
> > > I also try to emacs -q to ignore my profile, the same thing happened.
> > > Does anyone can tell me how to solve this problem?
>
> > This has nothing to do with Gnus. Please ask in a relevant newsgroup,
> > such as - perhaps - gnu.emacs.help.
>
> > (Did you turn "Active Regions" off by any chance? Your description
> > sounds like that is your problem (I always turn the off because I do
> > *not* want the annoying colouring of regions)).
>
> >   Best regards,
>
> > --
> >  "Gravity is arbitrary!"                                      Adam Sjøgren
> >                                                          a...@koldfront.dk
>
> Thanks for your reply
>
> I have checked Transient Mark Mode, it seems that it has been enabled.
> But the problem still exists
>
> /***************************************/
> Transient Mark Mode: Hide Value Toggle  on (non-nil)
>    State: EDITED, shown value does not take effect until you set or
> save it.
>
> Non-nil if Transient-Mark mode is enabled. Hide Rest
> See the command `transient-mark-mode' for a description of this minor
> mode.
> Parent groups: Editing Basics
>
> /***************************************/

I found the solutions:

in the default settings of emacs under ubuntu, the key has been set as

(global-set-key [right] 'forward-char-nomark)
(global-set-key [left] 'backward-char-nomark)
(global-set-key [up] 'previous-line-nomark)
(global-set-key [down] 'next-line-nomark)

In .emacs set following command

(global-set-key [right] 'forward-char)
(global-set-key [left] 'backward-char)
(global-set-key [up] 'previous-line)
(global-set-key [down] 'next-line)

Now this is the same as the default settings with emacs under other
linux distributions e.g. fedora or mandriva

I just wonder why Ubuntu made such a strange change?