* Re: difference btw .emacs vs .gnus?
       [not found]     ` <m365yl4nyp.fsf@zeus.intra.softace.dk>
@ 2002-08-08 18:32       ` Patrick Drechsler
From: Patrick Drechsler @ 2002-08-08 18:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jarl Friis wrote:
> Patrick Drechsler <patrick.drechsler@gmx.net> writes:
>

>>Jarl Friis <jarl@diku.dk> writes:

>>>I don't know why gnus is programmed to put gnus related stuff in
>>>~/.gnus. That would be a nice thing.
>>
>>You mean "...*not* programmed to..", right? So does this mean that I
>>manually cut&past all the gnus-related stuff from ~/.emacs to ~/.gnus?
>

> Yes I mean *not*, stupid me.
> regarding the cut&paste, I must say once again, your quoted stuff
> doesn't look like usefull elisp unless it is surrounded by something.
>
> Jarl

Well, like I said, this is what the build-in customization routine
wrote, not me. But after taking a closer look I decided to remove 2
sets of braces that seemed to do nothing. Everything is still working,
so I guess I must have made a mistake while inputing
gnus-secondary-select and mail-sources...

But maybe there was something else which you meant was wrong so I'll
just post the "surrounding stuff" too:

(custom-set-variables
;; custom-set-variables was added by Custom -- don't edit or cut/paste it!
  '(case-fold-search t)
  '(current-language-environment "ASCII")
  '(global-font-lock-mode t nil (font-lock))
  '(gnus-check-new-newsgroups nil)
  '(gnus-default-posting-charset (quote iso-8859-15))
  '(gnus-keep-backlog 100)
  '(gnus-secondary-select-methods (quote (nnml "")))
  '(gnus-select-method (quote (nntp "news.t-online.de")))
  '(mail-archive-file-name "/home/patrick/Mail/mail/sent-mail")
  '(mail-sources (quote (file :path "/var/spool/mail/patrick")))
  '(mouse-wheel-mode t nil (mwheel))
  '(nnmail-treat-duplicates (quote delete))
  '(save-place nil nil (saveplace))
  '(show-paren-mode t nil (paren))
  '(transient-mark-mode t)
  '(uniquify-buffer-name-style nil nil (uniquify))
  '(user-full-name "Patrick Drechsler")
  '(user-mail-address "patrick.drechsler@gmx.net"))

Thanks again for the quick help.

Patrick

PS: To Jarl: Sorry for having sent you a mail directly. I hit the
wrong button...

* Re: difference btw .emacs vs .gnus?
       [not found] <86vg6na6a0.fsf@gmx.net>
@ 2002-08-07  5:00 ` maierh
       [not found] ` <m3adnzry2v.fsf@zeus.intra.softace.dk>
From: maierh @ 2002-08-07  5:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Patrick Drechsler <patrick.drechsler@gmx.net> writes:

> My question concerning GNUS is: If I choose the way of
> customizing via 'M-x customize-variable <RET> whatever <RET> I end up
> with all my customizations in my ~/.emacs and not in ~/.gnus. Why
> doesn't the customization routine (which I prefere using as newbie)
> automatically write things like the following stuff:
>
>  '(gnus-check-new-newsgroups nil)
>  '(gnus-default-posting-charset (quote iso-8859-15))
>  '(gnus-keep-backlog 100)
>  '(gnus-secondary-select-methods (quote ((nnml ""))))
>  '(gnus-select-method (quote (nntp "news.t-online.de")))
>  '(mail-sources (quote ((file :path "/var/spool/mail/patrick"))))
>
> into ~/.gnus? Should I have created that directory in advance?  As far
> is I have perceived the (very amusing, but still complicated for me)
> documentation it doesn't make a difference if emacs reads just the
> ~/.emacs and then ~/.gnus, but I would like to have different
> configuration files for different purposes. Up to now my main concern
> was devoted to finishing my thesis using LaTeX/emacs...
>
> It comes down to this:
>
> How do I set up my ~/.emacs correctly to include ~/.gnus and all other
> "options" (maybe something like latexuser.el, which include my LaTeX
> preferences) correctly? And is it ok to just cut&past the above
> customization out of ~/.emacs into ~/.gnus?

I don't understand exactly your question but you have the freedom to
specify a custom-file so you don't clutter your .emacs and .gnus
files. gnus reads the ~/.gnus file. And emacs reads as startup file
the ~/.emacs file. So I would put only gnus stuff into the ~/.gnus
file. All the other stuff should be included in the ~/.emacs
file. Here an example to specify a separate custom file.

--- .emacs ---
(setq custom-file "~/build/cvs/test/custom.el")
(if (file-exists-p custom-file)
    (load-file custom-file))