From: yjgzhang@gmail.com
To: info-gnus-english@gnu.org
Subject: Re: prob. bugs in emacs under ubuntu
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2008 04:38:46 -0800 (PST)	[thread overview]

On Jan 10, 5:47 pm, a...@koldfront.dk (Adam Sjøgren) wrote:
> On Thu, 10 Jan 2008 09:27:49 -0800 (PST), yjgzh...@gmail.com wrote:
> > I encountered the same problems here with emacs under ubuntu. I used
> > to use emacs under Fedora and Mandriva. The emacs under those two
> > linux distributions has no problem at all. But when i transfered to
> > ubuntu, I have the same problems, i.e., the selected region using
> > keyboard can not be highlighted. E.g, when you using \C+space mark a
> > begining of a region, and then using the left or right arrows to move
> > the cursor, nothing happened (it supposed to extend the region from
> > the position where \C + space marked). However, when I reach the end
> > of the region, and using alt+w to cut it, it still works. This problem
> > is very annoying when you using the keyboard for editing in Emacs,
> > because you can not see the selected region, they are in darks.
> > I also try to emacs -q to ignore my profile, the same thing happened.
> > Does anyone can tell me how to solve this problem?
>
> This has nothing to do with Gnus. Please ask in a relevant newsgroup,
> such as - perhaps - gnu.emacs.help.
>
> (Did you turn "Active Regions" off by any chance? Your description
> sounds like that is your problem (I always turn the off because I do
> *not* want the annoying colouring of regions)).
>
>   Best regards,
>
> --
>  "Gravity is arbitrary!"                                      Adam Sjøgren
>                                                          a...@koldfront.dk

Thanks for your reply

I have checked Transient Mark Mode, it seems that it has been enabled.
But the problem still exists

Transient Mark Mode: Hide Value Toggle  on (non-nil)
   State: EDITED, shown value does not take effect until you set or
save it.

Non-nil if Transient-Mark mode is enabled. Hide Rest
See the command `transient-mark-mode' for a description of this minor
mode.
Parent groups: Editing Basics