* Re: Avoiding splitting of imap folders
       [not found]   ` <vir4qtl7353.fsf@sunbroy2.informatik.tu-muenchen.de>
@ 2004-02-23 18:40     ` Ted Zlatanov
       [not found]       ` <yoijk72dmitu.fsf@frealaf.dd.chalmers.se>
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2004-02-23 18:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, 21 Feb 2004, skalberg@in.tum.de wrote:

> Hi Ted,
>
>>>   (setq nnimap-split-inbox 'nil)
>>
>> I think you need (setq nnimap-split-inbox nil) there.
>>
>> I'm not sure if that's the only thing you need to do to eliminate
>> splitting, but that part above is definitely wrong; you're saying
>> "my nnimap split inbox is a symbol called 'nil', not nil itself".
>
> As far as I remember, nil just evaluates to itself, so 'nil and nil
> should be equivalent.

I see.  I would stil use "nil" because it's less confusing, but sorry
for misleading you.

> In any case, my imap folder is still splitted when I follow your
> suggestion.

I looked at nnimap-split-articles in nnimap.el, and splitting is done
in nnimap-split-find-inbox using the value of nnimap-split-inbox,
whether that's a list or a single item (if a single item, it's
converted to a list).  So just setting that to nil should do it!

It looks like setting the split rules to nil may also inhibit mail
splitting, but I don't understand why nnimap-split-inbox is not
respected.  Try setting it to '() (an empty list):

(setq nnimap-split-inbox '())

and see if that helps.  If not, try tracing through
nnimap-split-articles and see where it's getting "INBOX" from.

Ted

@ 2004-02-24 16:53         ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2004-02-24 16:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 24 Feb 2004, bojohan+news@dd.chalmers.se wrote:

> Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:
>
>> It looks like setting the split rules to nil may also inhibit mail
>> splitting, but I don't understand why nnimap-split-inbox is not
>> respected. Try setting it to '() (an empty list):
>
> The empty list is nil.

See what programming in Perl will do to you?  Don't let it happen to
your friends! :)

Ted