* Don't connect to news server at startup?
@ 2005-07-05 13:26 lance
From: lance @ 2005-07-05 13:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hey,

How do I tell gnus not to connect to news server at startup.
I only want to check for new articles if I press the spacebar
but press M-c.

I put

;(setq gnus-check-new-newsgroups 'no)

in my .gnus file but this didn't seem to help.

Lance

--

                                Lance Hoffmeyer
                              lance@augustmail.com

          The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and
                          governments to gain ground.
                                       -
                                Thomas Jefferson

* Re: Don't connect to news server at startup?
@ 2005-07-05 15:33 ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2005-07-05 15:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 05 Jul 2005, lance@mail.augustmail.com wrote:

> How do I tell gnus not to connect to news server at startup.
> I only want to check for new articles if I press the spacebar
> but press M-c.
>
> I put
>
>;(setq gnus-check-new-newsgroups 'no)
>
> in my .gnus file but this didn't seem to help.

Make nnil your primary backend.  I think the primary backend is always
checked.

The setting you reference is for finding new newsgroups, not new
articles.  You can lower the level of any group so it won't be checked
at startup or when you press `g'; you can explicitly get the new
articles in it with `M-g'.

Ted

* Re: Don't connect to news server at startup?
@ 2005-07-05 17:00 ` N. Raghavendra
From: N. Raghavendra @ 2005-07-05 17:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

lance <lance@mail.augustmail.com> writes:

> How do I tell gnus not to connect to news server at startup.

Perhaps `M-x gnus-no-server'.

Raghavendra.

--
N. Raghavendra <raghu@mri.ernet.in> | See mail headers for contact
Harish-Chandra Research Institute   | and OpenPGP details.

* Re: Don't connect to news server at startup?
@ 2005-07-05 20:06   ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2005-07-05 20:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 05 Jul 2005, raghu@mri.ernet.in wrote:

> lance <lance@mail.augustmail.com> writes:
>
>> How do I tell gnus not to connect to news server at startup.
>
> Perhaps `M-x gnus-no-server'.

Note gnus-no-server is a temporary (one-time) solution - Gnus won't
check the primary server just this once, while the nnnil backend is a
permanent solution.  They are both valid, but do very different things
:)

Also, IMO, it's best if everything is secondary, because then you
don't have to worry about fully qualified group names - everything is
fully qualified.  Some people may prefer shorter group names, of course.

Ted