* How to use Gnus to read newsgroup like gnu.emacs.gnus?
@ 2014-07-14 18:01 tuhdo1710
From: tuhdo1710 @ 2014-07-14 18:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

I tried the following code:

(setq user-mail-address "tuhdo1710@gmail.com")
(setq user-full-name "Tu, Do")
(setq gnus-select-method '(nntp "gnu.emacs.gnus"))

But it didn't work. Gnus gave me error:

>>> (error gnu.emacs.gnus/nntp Name or service not known)
nntp (gnu.emacs.gnus) open error: '>>> (error gnu.emacs.gnus/nntp Name or service not known)'.  Continue? (y or n) n
Couldn't open server on gnu.emacs.gnus

Thanks.

* Re: How to use Gnus to read newsgroup like gnu.emacs.gnus?
@ 2014-07-15  8:37 ` David Hume
       [not found]   ` <7z1ttn0znd.fsf@example.com>
From: David Hume @ 2014-07-15  8:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

tuhdo1710@gmail.com writes:

> (setq gnus-select-method '(nntp "gnu.emacs.gnus"))

This should be the name of the server, not the name of the news
group. (I can't remember the name of the free server, but it probably
begins with 'news').

* Re: How to use Gnus to read newsgroup like gnu.emacs.gnus?
       [not found]   ` <7z1ttn0znd.fsf@example.com>
@ 2014-07-15 16:10     ` Emanuel Berg
                         ` (2 more replies)
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2014-07-15 16:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

David Hume <David.Hume@example.com> writes:

>> This should be the name of the server, not the name
>> of the news group. (I can't remember the name of the
>> free server, but it probably begins with 'news').
>
> Try news.gnus.org.

Or:

(setq gnus-select-method '(nntp "Aioe.org"))

To add a group, I use this:

(defun gnus-add-nntp-group (group)
  (interactive "s Newsgroup: ")
  (gnus-group-make-group group
                         (symbol-to-string (car gnus-select-method))
                         (cadr gnus-select-method) )
  (gnus-save-newsrc-file) )

which I have bound to "a" (for "add").

Otherwise you can just use `M-x gnus-group-make-group'
if you don't mind repeating yourself a few times.

--
underground experts united

* Re: How to use Gnus to read newsgroup like gnu.emacs.gnus?
@ 2014-07-15 18:31       ` Sharon Kimble
       [not found]         ` <mailman.5473.1405449894.1147.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
       [not found]       ` <mailman.5470.1405449131.1147.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Sharon Kimble @ 2014-07-15 18:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

> David Hume <David.Hume@example.com> writes:
>
>>> This should be the name of the server, not the name
>>> of the news group. (I can't remember the name of the
>>> free server, but it probably begins with 'news').
>>
>> Try news.gnus.org.

I've tried -
(add-to-list 'gnus-secondary-select-methods
			 '(nntp "news.gmane.org")
			 '(nntp "nntp.aioe.org")
			 '(nntp "news.gnus.org"))

but its failing saying -
╭────
│Wrote /home/boudiccas/.gnus.el
│add-to-list: Invalid function: (nntp "news.gnus.org")
╰────

So how can I add it then please? The other two links work, so why
doesn'tthe last one? If I use "news.gnus.org" as the url it takes me to
a index page with a graphic on it of various sites in a rather spiffing
looking graphic! So I'm puzzled. My idea was that I would be able to get
advance information when a new gnus and emacs are released, but maybe I
could get that information elsewhere?

Sharon.

> Or:
>
> (setq gnus-select-method '(nntp "Aioe.org"))
>
> To add a group, I use this:
>
> (defun gnus-add-nntp-group (group)
>   (interactive "s Newsgroup: ")
>   (gnus-group-make-group group
>                          (symbol-to-string (car gnus-select-method))
>                          (cadr gnus-select-method) )
>   (gnus-save-newsrc-file) )
>
> which I have bound to "a" (for "add").
>
> Otherwise you can just use `M-x gnus-group-make-group'
> if you don't mind repeating yourself a few times.

TGmeds = http://www.tgmeds.org.uk
Debian testing, fluxbox 1.3.5, emacs 24.3.92.1

[-- Attachment #1.2: signature.asc --]

* Re: How to use Gnus to read newsgroup like gnu.emacs.gnus?
@ 2014-07-15 18:39       ` Adam Sjøgren
       [not found]       ` <mailman.5470.1405449131.1147.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2014-07-15 18:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

> To add a group, I use this:
>
> (defun gnus-add-nntp-group (group)
>   (interactive "s Newsgroup: ")
>   (gnus-group-make-group group
>                          (symbol-to-string (car gnus-select-method))
>                          (cadr gnus-select-method) )
>   (gnus-save-newsrc-file) )

> which I have bound to "a" (for "add").

> Otherwise you can just use `M-x gnus-group-make-group'
> if you don't mind repeating yourself a few times.

A third alternative is to go to the *Server* buffer (press ^ in the
*Group* buffer), go to the line of the server you want to subscribe to
groups on, press RET.

Then you get a list of all the groups on the server, and you can use u
to subscribe/unsubscribe.

I find this quite convenient.

  Best regards.

   Adam

--
 "Angels can fly because they take themselves lightly."       Adam Sjøgren
                                                         asjo@koldfront.dk

* Re: How to use Gnus to read newsgroup like gnu.emacs.gnus?
@ 2014-07-15 18:44         ` Adam Sjøgren
       [not found]         ` <mailman.5473.1405449894.1147.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2014-07-15 18:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Sharon Kimble <boudiccas@skimble.plus.com> writes:

> I've tried -
> (add-to-list 'gnus-secondary-select-methods
> 			 '(nntp "news.gmane.org")
> 			 '(nntp "nntp.aioe.org")
> 			 '(nntp "news.gnus.org"))
>
> but its failing saying -

Here is the documentation of add-to-list:

,----[ C-h f add-to-list RET ]
| add-to-list is a compiled Lisp function in `subr.el'.
|
| (add-to-list LIST-VAR ELEMENT &optional APPEND COMPARE-FN)
|
| This function has a compiler macro.
|
| Add ELEMENT to the value of LIST-VAR if it isn't there yet.
| The test for presence of ELEMENT is done with `equal',
| or with COMPARE-FN if that's non-nil.
| If ELEMENT is added, it is added at the beginning of the list,
| unless the optional argument APPEND is non-nil, in which case
| ELEMENT is added at the end.
|
| The return value is the new value of LIST-VAR.
`----

Note what arguments the function takes, and what arguments you are
calling it with.

Then look at the error again:

> ╭────
> │Wrote /home/boudiccas/.gnus.el
> │add-to-list: Invalid function: (nntp "news.gnus.org")
> ╰────

Can you see what might be happening, please?

  Best regards,

    Adam

--
 "Fader eg må be om undskyldning                              Adam Sjøgren
  Det er min feil at Tony er pakkt in i presenning"      asjo@koldfront.dk

@ 2014-07-15 19:01   ` SlackRat
From: SlackRat @ 2014-07-15 19:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

On 2014-07-15 09:37, David Hume wrote:
> tuhdo1710@gmail.com writes:
>

>> (setq gnus-select-method '(nntp "gnu.emacs.gnus"))
>>
> This should be the name of the server, not the name of the news
> group. (I can't remember the name of the free server, but it probably
> begins with 'news').

news.eternal-september.org will punch your ticket

@ 2014-07-16  0:31         ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2014-07-16  0:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Sharon Kimble <boudiccas@skimble.plus.com> writes:

> (add-to-list
> 'gnus-secondary-select-methods '(nntp "news.gmane.org")
> (nntp "nntp.aioe.org") '(nntp "news.gnus.org"))
>
> So how can I add it then please?

What? :) Why are you asking me that?

What I can see `add-to-list' doesn't work like that,
for an arbitrary number of elements.

Like: (+ 1 2 3) - that works. But:

(setq         some-list '((1 2)))      ; ((1 2)), but...
(add-to-list 'some-list '(3 4) '(5 6)) ; ... is ((1 2) (3 4)),
                                       ; not ((1 2) (3 4) (5 6))

But OK: I never use those `add-to-list', `add-hook',
etc. - I just `setq' once, plain and simple and much
easier to not get confused, as you only set things
once. If you wish to be careful, check the variable's
value first. If it is empty (as is often the case),
just set it to whatever you want safe and sound. If it
isn't empty, and you deem the contents to be of value,
just include it when you set it yourself.

So for me it looks like this:

(setq gnus-select-method '(nntp "Aioe.org"))

(setq gnus-secondary-select-methods '((nnml "")) )

The first one is for nntp/news/posts/Usenet, the second
is for nnml/mails.

> The other two links work, so why doesn'tthe last one?
> If I use "news.gnus.org" as the url it takes me to a
> index page with a graphic on it of various sites in a
> rather spiffing looking graphic! So I'm puzzled.

You get a new Gnus with a new Emacs. Of course, you can
get the latest source and compile it - but probably it
is better to use your OS's (distro's) package manager
to upgrade Emacs. The improvements are subtle most of
the time, say you have Emacs 24 now, when 25 gets out,
upgrade, something like that is sensible and enough for
almost all users, I'd say.

> My idea was that I would be able to get advance
> information when a new gnus and emacs are released,
> but maybe I could get that information elsewhere?

What about the Emacs and Gnus homepages?

--

@ 2014-07-16  0:34           ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2014-07-16  0:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

> Can you see what might be happening, please?

Ha-ha, stop it :)

Yes, the server buffer alternative is good, too.

--
underground experts united