* recipient does not have pgp key? can i still send an encrypted email?
@ 2022-12-09 17:56 jindam, vani
From: jindam, vani @ 2022-12-09 17:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Info-gnus English

it seems we need recipient pgp key for sending
encrypted email. if there is no pgp key, can i
still encrypted email?
if yes, how? i have created gpg.conf & added
auto-key-locate local,keyserver,wkd.
i am trying to end an enceyted email by adding
<#secure method=pgpmime mode=encrypt>

regards,
jindam, vani

--
toots: @jindam_vani@c.im
others: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Jindam_vani

* Re: recipient does not have pgp key? can i still send an encrypted email?
@ 2022-12-09 18:25 ` Adam Sjøgren
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2022-12-09 18:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

vani writes:

> it seems we need recipient pgp key for sending
> encrypted email. if there is no pgp key, can i
> still encrypted email?

No, not with public-key cryptography¹, which is what is usually used.
You need the recipients public key to be able to encrypt the email to
them.

If you and the recipient share a secret (eg. a password), you could use
symmetric encryption², but you have to share the secret in some other
way first, so it's rarely a solution.

  Best regards,

    Adam

¹ https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public-key_cryptography
² https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Symmetric-key_algorithm

--
 "(Phew, it's hard to explain with my poor                  Adam Sjøgren
  English.)"                                           asjo@koldfront.dk

* Re: recipient does not have pgp key? can i still send an encrypted email?
@ 2022-12-09 23:06 ` Björn Bidar
From: Björn Bidar @ 2022-12-09 23:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jindam, vani; +Cc: Info-gnus English

"jindam, vani" <jindam.vani@disroot.org> writes:

> if yes, how? i have created gpg.conf & added
> auto-key-locate local,keyserver,wkd.

You can't unless you use symmetric encryption (see the earlier answer
you got).

However if the Gnupg finds the key of the recipient through the
~auto-key-locate~ option you might be to find the key.
Another method would be to ask the mail provider for the public-key of
the recipient if autocrypt[1] is used. Gnus doesn't support it out of
the box however there's a third party plugin[2] that does add such support.
I haven't tested that myself.

Br,

Björn

-
[1] https://autocrypt.org/
[2] https://git.sr.ht/~pkal/autocrypt

* Re: recipient does not have pgp key? can i still send an encrypted email?
@ 2022-12-10  4:24   ` jindam, vani
From: jindam, vani @ 2022-12-10  4:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Björn Bidar; +Cc: Info-gnus English

On 2022-12-09 23:06, Björn Bidar wrote:
> "jindam, vani" <jindam.vani@disroot.org> writes:
>
>> if yes, how? i have created gpg.conf & added
>> auto-key-locate local,keyserver,wkd.
>
> You can't unless you use symmetric encryption (see the earlier answer
> you got).
>
> However if the Gnupg finds the key of the recipient through the
> ~auto-key-locate~ option you might be to find the key.
> Another method would be to ask the mail provider for the public-key of
> the recipient if autocrypt[1] is used.

ok. another issue resolved. since few months
k9 mail(1) is using this method.

> Gnus doesn't support it out of
> the box however there's a third party plugin[2] that does add such
> support.
> I haven't tested that myself.
>

> Br,
>
> Björn