* Re: Gnus without nntp as primary select method
       [not found]   ` <87helqbn0c.fsf@alum.wpi.edu>
@ 2002-05-02 15:48     ` Paul Moore
From: Paul Moore @ 2002-05-02 15:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

Josh Huber <huber@alum.wpi.edu> writes:
> Personally, I think it's a little strange that subscribing to a group
> would automatically create it, and I wasn't even aware that this was
> supposed to happen.

Yes, it turned out to be the agent that did this. It doesn't actually
create the group, it just sort-of puts it in the groups list. But it
doesn't "work" properly. I guess it's to do with not being able to
validate group names while offline.

> You might want to try using G m to create the group.

G m is exactly what I want.

If it's any consolation, I'm probably as sick of asking dumb questions
like this as the group is of answering them :-) I *swear* I spent ages
searching for this, in the help, the menus, and the manual. I'll go
and beat myself with something hard now, as a penance.

> I use nnml as my primary select method, and it works fine.  It's nice
> having no prefix to the group names (nnml:) since most of my groups
> are mail groups.

Good point.

Thanks,
Paul.

* Re: Gnus without nntp as primary select method
       [not found]   ` <bsbywpzk.fsf@morpheus.demon.co.uk>
@ 2002-05-02 15:36     ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-05-02 15:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

Paul Moore <gustav@morpheus.demon.co.uk> writes:

> lawrence mitchell <wence@gmx.li> writes:
>
>> Recent (CVS) Gnusae have nnnil.el which provides what you're looking for,
>> i.e. and empty backend.  If you don't want a complete new Gnus, you
>> could probably just add that one file to your Gnus distribution to use
>> it.
>
> Hmm, thanks. I don't think I'll bother for now, as it appears that I
> misunderstood my problem. The reason I could sometimes effectively
> create nnml groups by subscribing to them was that I could do this
> when in the Gnus agent, but not otherwise. So having a dummy primary
> method doesn't help the way I thought it did.

Please make a bug report.  One way or another, a bug is lurking here.

kai
--
Silence is foo!