* Re: Desparate: Leaving mail on one POP server, deleting from another
       [not found] <4rga33ua.fsf@bitstream.com>
@ 2002-06-11 16:31 ` Paul Jarc
       [not found]   ` <1ybd1qvy.fsf@bitstream.com>
From: Paul Jarc @ 2002-06-11 16:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

Peter Davis <pd@world.std.com> wrote:
> Currently, I have two solutions that will let me either leave or
> delete messages from *both* servers, but neither solution will let me
> leave messages on one and delete from the other.

Configure it to fetch mail from just one account and delete mail; then
(automatically) reconfigure it to fetch mail from the other account
and not delete it.

paul

* Re: Desparate: Leaving mail on one POP server, deleting from another
       [not found]     ` <vafadq0y46q.fsf@lucy.cs.uni-dortmund.de>
@ 2002-06-13  0:08       ` Peter Davis
From: Peter Davis @ 2002-06-13  0:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE (Kai =?iso-8859-15?q?Gro=DFjohann?=) writes:

> Peter Davis <pd@world.std.com> writes:
>
> > Is there some way to do that?  I only know about mail-sources, which
> > doesn't seem to allow that.
>
> Of course, it's possible:
>
> (defun pd-fetch-news ()
>   (setq mail-sources ...)
>   (gnus-group-get-new-news)
>   (setq mail-sources ...)
>   (gnus-group-get-new-news))
>
> Hm.  Ah.  Maybe you need to set the epop3 variable, as well.

Well, I've tried something like this ... I used a prescript to set the
state of the pop3-leave-mail-on-server variable.  I know my prescript
functions were getting called, but I wasn't getting mail from the
servers on which I set pop3-leave-mail-on-server to nil.  There were
messages, but I never got them.

Here's the way I set it up ...

;These functions are supposed to enable/disable POP3 expunging for XEmacs
(defun pop3-delete-on ()
  (interactive)
  (message "Deleting mail from POP3 server.")
  (setq pop3-leave-mail-on-server nil))

(defun pop3-delete-off ()
  (interactive)
  (message "Leaving mail on POP3 server.")
  (setq pop3-leave-mail-on-server t))

(if (string-match "XEmacs\\|Lucid" emacs-version)
    (
      setq nnmail-movemail-program 'pop3-nnmail-movemail
           pop3-leave-mail-on-server t
           pop3-uidl-file-name 'auto
           mail-sources '(
                          (pop :server "pop.myisp.com"
                               :user   "pd"
                               :prescript pop3-delete-on)
                          (pop :server "mail.mycompany.com"
                               :user   "pdavis"
                               :prescript pop3-delete-off)
                       )
      )
;; Handle fsf emacs case here
)

I just never got mail from 'myisp.com', even though I knew there were
messages there.  If I set them both to call pop3-delete-off, it worked
fine, and left messages on both servers.

--
--------
                             Peter Davis