* Re: quoted printable decoding:: fix for M$ OutLook
       [not found] ` <siy9f2oq4f.fsf@koli.tasking.nl>
@ 2002-05-02 13:58   ` Nic Ferrier
From: Nic Ferrier @ 2002-05-02 13:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

kees.bakker@altium.nl (Kees Bakker) writes:

> I think you're wrong.
> The problem is that binary files are sent as QP. In the resulting file you
> can have lines that end with '='. For Windows systems that means 0D0A. But
> for UNIX systems that means 0A. And for Mac it means 0D.

Hmmm... not entirely sure I understand you. What I'm seeing in the
file sent from a windows box is not what you're suggesting.

> From my understanding of RFC2045 it's possible to have a soft line
break when lines exceed 76 chars. I think that's what I'm seeing and
I think that the existing qp code doesn't deal with that properly.

Mind you I don't think my patch does either.

I'll have a further look and send a patch to emacs-devel.

> Yes. The loosers in Redmond have made it too simple for people to send
> binary files as QP. It's another one of those cases where non-Windows users
> are being blamed that they cannot read simple QP attachments, while infact
> the sender was to blame.
>
> Please spread the word: DON'T SEND BINARY FILES AS QUOTED-PRINTABLE.
>
> PS. I know that some e-mail readers on Linux 'fix' this problem. But I
> believe that that's the wrong way.

Tim BL said a very decent thing: "be liberl in what you accept and
conservative in what you send".

Let's not be bigotted.

Nic Ferrier

* Re: quoted printable decoding:: fix for M$ OutLook
@ 2002-05-02 21:12     ` Andrew C. Feren
From: Andrew C. Feren @ 2002-05-02 21:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Nic Ferrier <nferrier@tapsellferrier.co.uk> writes:

[...]

> Tim BL said a very decent thing: "be liberl in what you accept and
> conservative in what you send".

For the historically curious the original source of that quote is
Jon Postel.

http://www.postel.org/jonpostel.html

Good practice in any case.

--