* Gnus notification of replies to my articles
@ 2020-03-10 15:21 Richmond
From: Richmond @ 2020-03-10 15:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Is it possible to get gnus to tell me of replies to my articles? or
maybe raise the score of them? or mark them in the article summary
buffer?

* Re: Gnus notification of replies to my articles
@ 2020-03-10 17:38 ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2020-03-10 17:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richmond; +Cc: info-gnus-english

On Tuesday, 10 Mar 2020 at 15:21, Richmond wrote:
> Is it possible to get gnus to tell me of replies to my articles? or
> maybe raise the score of them? or mark them in the article summary
> buffer?

You could try adding an entry along the lines of

("references"
  ("<some regex goes here>" 100 nil r))

to your .SCORE file where the regex is something that matches your
emails, i.e. the typical message-id of your emails (which, for instance,
is <7ywo7skzgd.fsf@gmx.com> for the article I'm responding to).  What I
don't know is whether there is a regex that would work generally to
identify your articles.  Message IDs are a mystery to me.

--
Eric S Fraga via Emacs 28.0.50 & org 9.3.6 on Debian bullseye/sid

* Re: Gnus notification of replies to my articles
@ 2020-03-10 17:49   ` Adam Sjøgren via info-gnus-english
From: Adam Sjøgren via info-gnus-english @ 2020-03-10 17:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Eric writes:

> You could try adding an entry along the lines of
>
> ("references"
>   ("<some regex goes here>" 100 nil r))
>
> to your .SCORE file where the regex is something that matches your
> emails, i.e. the typical message-id of your emails (which, for instance,
> is <7ywo7skzgd.fsf@gmx.com> for the article I'm responding to).  What I
> don't know is whether there is a regex that would work generally to
> identify your articles.  Message IDs are a mystery to me.

Yes, that works.

I have this in my all.SCORE:

   ("references"
    ("<87[0-9a-z]+\\.fsf\\(_-_\\)?@.*koldfront.dk>" nil nil r))

I think the way Gnus generates Message-IDs, the first two chars are
stable per machine (or perhaps user), or something like that.

  Best regards,

    Adam

--
 "Simsala-hyp!"                                             Adam Sjøgren
                                                       asjo@koldfront.dk

* Re: Gnus notification of replies to my articles
@ 2020-03-10 21:09     ` Clemens Schüller
From: Clemens Schüller @ 2020-03-10 21:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Adam Sjøgren via info-gnus-english
  Cc: Adam Sjøgren, Eric S Fraga, Richmond

Hello!

On 10. Mär. 2020 at 18:49 Adam Sjøgren writes via info-gnus-english:
> Eric writes:

>> You could try adding an entry along the lines of
>>
>> ("references"
>>   ("<some regex goes here>" 100 nil r))
>>
>> to your .SCORE file where the regex is something that matches your
>> emails, i.e. the typical message-id of your emails (which, for instance,
>> is <7ywo7skzgd.fsf@gmx.com> for the article I'm responding to).  What I
>> don't know is whether there is a regex that would work generally to
>> identify your articles.  Message IDs are a mystery to me.
>
> Yes, that works.
>
> I have this in my all.SCORE:
>
>    ("references"
>     ("<87[0-9a-z]+\\.fsf\\(_-_\\)?@.*koldfront.dk>" nil nil r))
>
> I think the way Gnus generates Message-IDs, the first two chars are
> stable per machine (or perhaps user), or something like that.

Nope, the first 2 Chars in the MID a generated from the UID of the User:
In my Setup the fsf Part is replaced with the name of the current PC.

Here is the Code for this - perhaps you can better finetune the Scoring.

(defun message-unique-id ()
  ;; Don't use microseconds from (current-time), they may be unsupported.
  ;; Instead we use this randomly inited counter.
  (setq message-unique-id-char
	(% (1+ (or message-unique-id-char
		   (random (ash 1 20))))
	   ;; (current-time) returns 16-bit ints,
	   ;; and 2^16*25 just fits into 4 digits i base 36.
	   (* 25 25)))
  (let ((tm (current-time)))
    (concat
     (if (or (eq system-type 'ms-dos)
	     ;; message-number-base36 doesn't handle bigints.
	     (floatp (user-uid)))
	 (let ((user (downcase (user-login-name))))
	   (while (string-match "[^a-z0-9_]" user)
	     (aset user (match-beginning 0) ?_))
	   user)
       (message-number-base36 (user-uid) -1))
     (message-number-base36 (+ (car tm)
			       (ash (% message-unique-id-char 25) 16)) 4)
     (message-number-base36 (+ (nth 1 tm)
			       (ash (/ message-unique-id-char 25) 16)) 4)
     ;; Append a given name, because while the generated ID is unique
     ;; to this newsreader, other newsreaders might otherwise generate
     ;; the same ID via another algorithm.
     ".warhorse")))
;;   ^^^^^^^^^^

;;   Replace warhorse with the current machine Name (or something else)

Best Regards, Clemens Schüller

* Re: Gnus notification of replies to my articles
@ 2020-03-11 20:09       ` Richmond
From: Richmond @ 2020-03-11 20:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Clemens Schüller
  Cc: Adam Sjøgren via info-gnus-english, Clemens Schüller,
	Adam Sjøgren, Eric S Fraga

> Thanks. This seems complicated by mailing lists. I have changed the
> message id to something more recognisable, but I am not sure if I can
> post here through the news server...

Well it looks like it didn't, so this is going through email...

* Re: Gnus notification of replies to my articles
@ 2020-03-12  6:47         ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2020-03-12  6:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richmond; +Cc: info-gnus-english

On Wednesday, 11 Mar 2020 at 20:09, Richmond wrote:
>> Thanks. This seems complicated by mailing lists. I have changed the
>> message id to something more recognisable, but I am not sure if I can
>> post here through the news server...
>
> Well it looks like it didn't, so this is going through email...

Mailing lists, or at least this one, do not touch the message id
header.  In my experience, although the message-id may not be truly
unique, when I used the references scoring option, it worked well.  Try
with a reasonable regex for your typical message id and see if it works
generally before worrying about having to make it unique?

--

@ 2020-03-12  9:16           ` Richmond
From: Richmond @ 2020-03-12  9:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric S Fraga; +Cc: info-gnus-english

> On Wednesday, 11 Mar 2020 at 20:09, Richmond wrote:
>>> Thanks. This seems complicated by mailing lists. I have changed the
>>> message id to something more recognisable, but I am not sure if I can
>>> post here through the news server...
>>
>> Well it looks like it didn't, so this is going through email...
>
> Mailing lists, or at least this one, do not touch the message id
> header.  In my experience, although the message-id may not be truly
> unique, when I used the references scoring option, it worked well.  Try
> with a reasonable regex for your typical message id and see if it works
> generally before worrying about having to make it unique?

Something wasn't quite right, because when looking at the news server,
and I pressed ^ from your article, it did not find my article. I have
complicated things by using different instances of gnus for email and
news. So when I use this email instance and did the same thing, it did
find the article.

So this post is by email and I have tried to set a message-id...

* Re: Gnus notification of replies to my articles
@ 2020-03-12  9:22             ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2020-03-12  9:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richmond; +Cc: info-gnus-english

On Thursday, 12 Mar 2020 at 09:16, Richmond wrote:
> So this post is by email and I have tried to set a message-id...

Hope this works...

--

@ 2020-03-12  9:23             ` Richmond
From: Richmond @ 2020-03-12  9:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric S Fraga; +Cc: info-gnus-english

Richmond <dnomhcir@gmx.com> writes:

> Something wasn't quite right, because when looking at the news server,
> and I pressed ^ from your article, it did not find my article. I have
> complicated things by using different instances of gnus for email and
> news. So when I use this email instance and did the same thing, it did
> find the article.
>
> So this post is by email and I have tried to set a message-id...

OK so the message-id I set (*richmond.example.com) was moved from
message-id to references, which breaks the thread on the news
server. But seems to work ok for email.

* Re: Gnus notification of replies to my articles
@ 2020-03-12  9:48               ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2020-03-12  9:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richmond; +Cc: info-gnus-english

On Thursday, 12 Mar 2020 at 09:23, Richmond wrote:
> OK so the message-id I set (*richmond.example.com) was moved from
> message-id to references, which breaks the thread on the news
> server. But seems to work ok for email.

I am not sure I understand what you are saying here.

When you write an email (or post a news item), that email has a
particular message ID.  If somebody responds to it, the original message
ID goes into the references header and the response has its own message
ID.  This provides a link between emails.

--

@ 2020-03-12 12:59                 ` Richmond
From: Richmond @ 2020-03-12 12:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric S Fraga; +Cc: info-gnus-english

> On Thursday, 12 Mar 2020 at 09:23, Richmond wrote:
>> OK so the message-id I set (*richmond.example.com) was moved from
>> message-id to references, which breaks the thread on the news
>> server. But seems to work ok for email.
>
> I am not sure I understand what you are saying here.
>
> When you write an email (or post a news item), that email has a
> particular message ID.  If somebody responds to it, the original message
> ID goes into the references header and the response has its own message
> ID.  This provides a link between emails.

OK I am sending this by email to the mailing list, and I have set a
message-id on it which will be something like
*richmond.this-is-a-message-id.example.com but I am expecting that this
message id will be replaced with one from the mail system like
mailman.2516.1584004990.2412.info-gnus-english@gnu.org, but you won't
see that if you look at it in email I think, only if you look at the
news server at news.gnus.org. On there the original message-id will be
copied into references.

Time will tell...

* Re: Gnus notification of replies to my articles
@ 2020-03-12 15:57           ` Richmond
From: Richmond @ 2020-03-12 15:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric S Fraga; +Cc: info-gnus-english

> On Thursday, 12 Mar 2020 at 12:59, Richmond wrote:
>> OK I am sending this by email to the mailing list, and I have set a
>> message-id on it which will be something like
>> *richmond.this-is-a-message-id.example.com but I am expecting that
>> this
>> message id will be replaced with one from the mail system like
>> mailman.2516.1584004990.2412.info-gnus-english@gnu.org, but you won't
>> see that if you look at it in email I think, only if you look at the
>> news server at news.gnus.org. On there the original message-id will
>> be
>> copied into references.
>
> You are correct.  Sorry about that.  I am surprised that the news
> server
> changes the reference.  Must be due to the gateway functionality
> between
> the mailing list and the news server?
>
> On a related note, is gmane.emacs.gnus.general no longer the place to
> read gnus related news items if you prefer nntp to email?  Although it
> is meant to be gatewayed (sic) with the ding mailing list, that gmane
> newsgroup hasn't been updated in several weeks.  The gnu.emacs.gnus
> group on news.gnus.org seems up to date, however.
>
> I was not aware of news.gnus.org until your post here.

Did you post the above on the news server? It seems to be a one-way
gateway, although there is no obvious indication of that. I have cut and
pasted the above into email.

I checked the group nntp+news.gmane.io:gmane.emacs.gnus.general and
there is a post four days ago. I wasn't subscribed to it, but I am now.

With gmane it used to be that you had to register your email with the
mailing list, then you could post with the same email on nntp, but I
don't know what the arrangement is here, I haven't tried that hard to
find out, just instead muddled through.

* Re: Gnus notification of replies to my articles
@ 2020-03-12 17:38             ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2020-03-12 17:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richmond; +Cc: info-gnus-english

On Thursday, 12 Mar 2020 at 15:57, Richmond wrote:
> Did you post the above on the news server? It seems to be a one-way
> gateway, although there is no obvious indication of that. I have cut and
> pasted the above into email.

I did.  It is indeed one-way.  I usually read using nntp...

> I checked the group nntp+news.gmane.io:gmane.emacs.gnus.general and
> there is a post four days ago. I wasn't subscribed to it, but I am now.

Interesting.  My gnus showed last posting back in February.

It would be helpful if Lars could jump in and clarify the situation with
nntp and the gnus mailing list/groups...

And maybe also why the gateway changes the message ID (going back to the
original problem ;-)).

--

@ 2020-03-13 15:02 ` Helmut Waitzmann
From: Helmut Waitzmann @ 2020-03-13 15:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Richmond <dnomhcir@gmx.com>:

>Is it possible to get gnus to tell me of replies to my articles?

I don't know.

>or maybe raise the score of them?

Yes.  Make a scoring rule:  In the summary buffer, while reading
one of your articles, type the key sequence “I f e p” and then
your name and e‐mail address (which is already filled in as a
proposal).  Then type “RET” or “C-j”.

That should add a permanent scoring rule to the current newsgroup
raising all direct followups to all articles the “From” header
field value of consists of your name and e‐mail address.