* My gnus does not fetch articles
@ 2013-06-08 13:59 Vincent Belaïche
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Vincent Belaïche @ 2013-06-08 13:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Hello,

Sorry to bother you all. I have a problem with gnus not fetching the
messages. It seems that gnus detects that there are new unread messages
on the server, but they aren't fetched.

This problem happened to me since orange closed their news server and I
turned to another server.

I can read the news on the same group with Mozilla Thunderbird, but not
with gnus.

I am using the latest gnus from the GIT repo.

I have also reset by ~/.newsrc and  ~/.newsrc.eld files, but that did
not help.

VBR,
   Vincent.

* Re: My gnus does not fetch articles
@ 2013-06-08 14:03 ` Vincent Belaïche
       [not found] ` <mailman.1220.1370703834.22516.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Vincent Belaïche @ 2013-06-08 14:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english; +Cc: Vincent Belaïche

vincent.belaiche@gmail.com (Vincent Belaïche) writes:

> Hello,
>
> Sorry to bother you all. I have a problem with gnus not fetching the
> messages. It seems that gnus detects that there are new unread
> messages on the server, but they aren't fetched.
>
> This problem happened to me since orange closed their news server and
> I turned to another server.
>
> I can read the news on the same group with Mozilla Thunderbird, but
> not with gnus.
>
> I am using the latest gnus from the GIT repo.
>
> I have also reset by ~/.newsrc and  ~/.newsrc.eld files, but that did
> not help.
>
> VBR,
>    Vincent.

Just to make more clears what happens: I get the message "No more unseen
articles". Also it seems that this happens only for some groups, not all of
them.

Any kind of help is welcome...

@ 2013-06-08 15:03 ` Adam Sjøgren
       [not found] ` <mailman.1220.1370703834.22516.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2013-06-08 15:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

vincent.belaiche@gmail.com (Vincent Belaïche) writes:

> This problem happened to me since orange closed their news server and I
> turned to another server.

Probably the article numbers are different on the different servers. Try
pressing M-g on a group in the *Summary* buffer, and see if that helps
(for that group).

> I have also reset by ~/.newsrc and  ~/.newsrc.eld files, but that did
> not help.

Uh. Oh. I would have expected that to work.

  Best regards,

    Adam

--
 "You have to photosynthesize"                                Adam Sjøgren
                                                         asjo@koldfront.dk

@ 2013-06-09  4:03   ` Vincent Belaïche
From: Vincent Belaïche @ 2013-06-09  4:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english; +Cc: Vincent Belaïche

> vincent.belaiche@gmail.com (Vincent Belaïche) writes:
>
>> This problem happened to me since orange closed their news server and I
>> turned to another server.
>
> Probably the article numbers are different on the different servers. Try
> pressing M-g on a group in the *Summary* buffer, and see if that helps
> (for that group).
>
>> I have also reset by ~/.newsrc and  ~/.newsrc.eld files, but that did
>> not help.
>
> Uh. Oh. I would have expected that to work.
>

>   Best regards,
>
>     Adam

What is really strange is that only some groups are affected by this. I
am wondering whether there is any way to debug how gnus will or will not
fetch the messages.

It seems that gnu.emacs.gnus is handled properly, but I have the problem
e.g. with fr.comp.text.tex and comp.soft-sys.math.scilab as far as I can
see from the date of the latest message that gnus shows and from what
archives in google groups show.

@ 2013-06-10  4:18   ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2013-06-10  4:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

On Sat, 08 Jun 2013 16:03:19 +0200 vincent.belaiche@gmail.com (Vincent Belaïche) wrote:

VB> Just to make more clears what happens: I get the message "No more unseen
VB> articles". Also it seems that this happens only for some groups, not all of
VB> them.

I would make sure that your newsrc really was cleared.  It seems
unlikely you cleared it if you're still getting this message (or it's a
really weird bug).

Try entering the group with `C-u 1 RET' for instance.  Does it get
anything?  If no, this may be a long debugging session :)

Ted

* Re: My gnus does not fetch articles
@ 2013-06-10  5:24     ` Vincent Belaïche
From: Vincent Belaïche @ 2013-06-10  5:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english; +Cc: Vincent Belaïche

Hello,

What I did is:
1. I exited gnus with `q'
2. I edited the ~/.newsrc file and deleted both lines with
   fr.comp.text.tex and comp.soft-sys.math.scilab
3. I reentered gnus with `M-x gnus', and re-subscribed both these groups
   with `U' or `S S'
4. Both groups still have the same issue, whether I endter with `RET' or
   `C-u RET', I do not get the latest news. Surprising the last message
   I get is exactly the same as before cleanign the ~/.newsrc.

BR,
   Vincent.

* Re: My gnus does not fetch articles
@ 2013-06-10  5:27     ` Vincent Belaïche
                         ` (3 more replies)
From: Vincent Belaïche @ 2013-06-10  5:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english; +Cc: Vincent Belaïche

Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:

> On Sat, 08 Jun 2013 16:03:19 +0200 vincent.belaiche@gmail.com (Vincent Belaïche) wrote:
>
> VB> Just to make more clears what happens: I get the message "No more
> VB> unseen articles". Also it seems that this happens only for some
> VB> groups, not all of them.
>
> I would make sure that your newsrc really was cleared.  It seems
> unlikely you cleared it if you're still getting this message (or it's
> a really weird bug).
>
> Try entering the group with `C-u 1 RET' for instance.  Does it get
> anything?  If no, this may be a long debugging session :)
>
> Ted
Hello,

What I did is:
1. I exited gnus with `q'
2. I edited the ~/.newsrc file and deleted both lines with
   fr.comp.text.tex and comp.soft-sys.math.scilab
3. I reentered gnus with `M-x gnus', and re-subscribed both these groups
   with `U' or `S S'
4. Both groups still have the same issue, whether I endter with `RET' or
   `C-u RET', I do not get the latest news. Surprising the last message
   I get is exactly the same as before cleanign the ~/.newsrc.

BR,
   Vincent.

* Re: My gnus does not fetch articles
@ 2013-06-10  5:31       ` Vincent Belaïche
                         ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Vincent Belaïche @ 2013-06-10  5:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english; +Cc: Vincent Belaïche

vincent.belaiche@gmail.com (Vincent Belaïche) writes:

[...]

> Hello,
>
> What I did is:
> 1. I exited gnus with `q'
> 2. I edited the ~/.newsrc file and deleted both lines with
>    fr.comp.text.tex and comp.soft-sys.math.scilab
> 3. I reentered gnus with `M-x gnus', and re-subscribed both these groups
>    with `U' or `S S'
> 4. Both groups still have the same issue, whether I endter with `RET' or
>    `C-u RET', I do not get the latest news. Surprising the last message
>    I get is exactly the same as before cleanign the ~/.newsrc.
>
> BR,
>    Vincent.

Sorry for making noise by repeating twice the previous message --- since
I am not using gnus for some time now because of this problem, I kind of
became rusty with shortcuts and forget to quote the context with the
first post.

@ 2013-06-10  5:38         ` Vincent Belaïche
From: Vincent Belaïche @ 2013-06-10  5:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english; +Cc: Vincent Belaïche

vincent.belaiche@gmail.com (Vincent Belaïche) writes:

> vincent.belaiche@gmail.com (Vincent Belaïche) writes:
>

> [...]
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> What I did is:
>> 1. I exited gnus with `q'
>> 2. I edited the ~/.newsrc file and deleted both lines with
>>    fr.comp.text.tex and comp.soft-sys.math.scilab
>> 3. I reentered gnus with `M-x gnus', and re-subscribed both these groups
>>    with `U' or `S S'
>> 4. Both groups still have the same issue, whether I endter with `RET' or
>>    `C-u RET', I do not get the latest news. Surprising the last message
>>    I get is exactly the same as before cleanign the ~/.newsrc.
>>
>> BR,
>>    Vincent.
>
> Sorry for making noise by repeating twice the previous message --- since

[...]

> BR,
>    Vincent.

One more thing, as that may help finding where the issue is from. Even
for those groups for which gnus works fine --- like gnu.emacs.gnus ---
when I enter gnus, I don't have any message that are posted after the
time of entering gnus. Even if I explicitly call `M-x
gnus-fetch-group'. I get them only after quiting gnus with `q' and
re-entering it. It was already this way before the change of news
server, but that was not too much annoying since newsreading and follow
up is not too much a real time activity.

Another strange thing has happened when I changed news server: now when
I enter gnus group are not all displayed in the *Group* buffer, I have
to recall them with `L'.

@ 2013-06-10  6:34       ` Ted Zlatanov
       [not found]       ` <mailman.1324.1370861462.22516.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2013-06-10  6:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

On Mon, 10 Jun 2013 07:27:23 +0200 vincent.belaiche@gmail.com (Vincent Belaïche) wrote:

VB> What I did is:
VB> 1. I exited gnus with `q'
VB> 2. I edited the ~/.newsrc file and deleted both lines with
VB>    fr.comp.text.tex and comp.soft-sys.math.scilab
VB> 3. I reentered gnus with `M-x gnus', and re-subscribed both these groups
VB>    with `U' or `S S'
VB> 4. Both groups still have the same issue, whether I endter with `RET' or
VB>    `C-u RET', I do not get the latest news. Surprising the last message
VB>    I get is exactly the same as before cleanign the ~/.newsrc.

Huh.  Could you check if the Agent is on for those groups?

Can you try as a completely new user and see if anything changes?

It really seems like your state is being saved somewhere.

Ted

* Re: My gnus does not fetch articles
@ 2013-06-10 10:50       ` Adam Sjøgren
       [not found]       ` <mailman.1324.1370861462.22516.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2013-06-10 10:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

vincent.belaiche@gmail.com (Vincent Belaïche) writes:

> What I did is:
> 1. I exited gnus with `q'
> 2. I edited the ~/.newsrc file and deleted both lines with
>    fr.comp.text.tex and comp.soft-sys.math.scilab
> 3. I reentered gnus with `M-x gnus', and re-subscribed both these groups
>    with `U' or `S S'
> 4. Both groups still have the same issue, whether I endter with `RET' or
>    `C-u RET', I do not get the latest news. Surprising the last message
>    I get is exactly the same as before cleanign the ~/.newsrc.

Previously you wrote that you reset the newsrc.eld file as well. Here
you don't mention it.

Maybe that makes a difference?

  Best regards,

    Adam

--

@ 2013-06-21 17:37         ` Vincent Belaïche
From: Vincent Belaïche @ 2013-06-21 17:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english; +Cc: Vincent Belaïche

Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:

> On Mon, 10 Jun 2013 07:27:23 +0200 vincent.belaiche@gmail.com (Vincent Belaïche) wrote:
>
> VB> What I did is:
> VB> 1. I exited gnus with `q'
> VB> 2. I edited the ~/.newsrc file and deleted both lines with
> VB>    fr.comp.text.tex and comp.soft-sys.math.scilab
> VB> 3. I reentered gnus with `M-x gnus', and re-subscribed both these groups
> VB>    with `U' or `S S'
> VB> 4. Both groups still have the same issue, whether I endter with `RET' or
> VB>    `C-u RET', I do not get the latest news. Surprising the last message
> VB>    I get is exactly the same as before cleanign the ~/.newsrc.
>
> Huh.  Could you check if the Agent is on for those groups?

Sorry for the delay in feedbacking --- I have been quite busy with a few
new bugs on jPicEdt these days.

Having said that, I did not really know about the Agent... I will read
the manual and check that.

> Can you try as a completely new user and see if anything changes?

Well, I am accessing through a free server named news.gegeweb.org that
is provided by a good willed person --- so I would not like to bother
this kind person again to create a new account just for the sake of
debugging my gnus. So, I will do that as a last resort.

> It really seems like your state is being saved somewhere.

Hopefully there is an explanation, as I wrote it is quite surprising
that for some groups like comp.lang.perl.misc or gnu.emacs.gnus, things
seem normal, and for others like fr.comp.text.tex,
comp.soft-sys.math.scilab or fr.comp.applications.emacs that does not
work. Curiously it seems that those group that do not work are those for
which the server it probably located in France --- ?! --- like myself.

@ 2013-06-21 17:45         ` Vincent Belaïche
From: Vincent Belaïche @ 2013-06-21 17:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english; +Cc: Vincent Belaïche

> vincent.belaiche@gmail.com (Vincent Belaïche) writes:
>
>> What I did is:
>> 1. I exited gnus with `q'
>> 2. I edited the ~/.newsrc file and deleted both lines with
>>    fr.comp.text.tex and comp.soft-sys.math.scilab
>> 3. I reentered gnus with `M-x gnus', and re-subscribed both these groups
>>    with `U' or `S S'
>> 4. Both groups still have the same issue, whether I endter with `RET' or
>>    `C-u RET', I do not get the latest news. Surprising the last message
>>    I get is exactly the same as before cleanign the ~/.newsrc.
>
> Previously you wrote that you reset the newsrc.eld file as well. Here
> you don't mention it.
>
> Maybe that makes a difference?
>

>   Best regards,
>
>     Adam

I have just tried that:

1. exit gnus
2. rename ~/.newsrc and ~/.newsrc.eld to ~/.newsrc.old and
   ~/.newsrc.eld.old
3. re-start gnus
4. re-subscribe to fr.comp.text.tex

And there is the same issue: the latest message which I see is quite an
old one.

Could that be related to some date format locale thing. As you know the
French do not use the same date format as the Americans and we have
differerent time zones too. What emacs-lisp primitive does gnus use to
get the date on my machine ? I can do some test and feedback what it
returns.

@ 2013-06-30 20:10           ` Vincent Belaïche
From: Vincent Belaïche @ 2013-06-30 20:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english; +Cc: Vincent Belaïche

vincent.belaiche@gmail.com (Vincent Belaïche) writes:

[...]

>> Ted: Huh.  Could you check if the Agent is on for those groups?
>>

> VB: Sorry for the delay in feedbacking --- I have been quite busy with a few
> VB: new bugs on jPicEdt these days.
> VB:
> VB: Having said that, I did not really know about the Agent... I will read
> VB: the manual and check that.

[...]

Hello Ted,

I have de-Agentized the news server by doing '^' in group buffer, and
then in the server buffer 'J r' to remove the server from the agent.

Then back to the group buffer and 'g' to refresh does not get any more
news for the problematic groups.

*However*, I tried M-x gnus-fetch-group on fr.comp.text.tex and it got
me all the missing news up to today but with the 'O' (old) mark. That is
strange because I had never read them... So I all unmarked them with
some 'C-u 1000 M-u', anywaythat seems to confirm that there is something
like a time stamp issue with this server and/or my machine and/or
gnus...

For your information, before the de-agentization, 'M-x gnus-fetch-group'
had no effect.

   Vincent.

PS: By the way, can you set the Agent on a group by group basis, it
seems that it is set on a server by server basis...

* Re: My gnus does not fetch articles
@ 2013-07-02 15:32             ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2013-07-02 15:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

On Sun, 30 Jun 2013 22:10:55 +0200 vincent.belaiche@gmail.com (Vincent Belaïche) wrote:

VB> I have de-Agentized the news server by doing '^' in group buffer, and
VB> then in the server buffer 'J r' to remove the server from the agent.

VB> Then back to the group buffer and 'g' to refresh does not get any more
VB> news for the problematic groups.

VB> *However*, I tried M-x gnus-fetch-group on fr.comp.text.tex and it got
VB> me all the missing news up to today but with the 'O' (old) mark. That is
VB> strange because I had never read them... So I all unmarked them with
VB> some 'C-u 1000 M-u', anywaythat seems to confirm that there is something
VB> like a time stamp issue with this server and/or my machine and/or
VB> gnus...

Hmm. That's the limit of my detective skills :)

VB> PS: By the way, can you set the Agent on a group by group basis, it
VB> seems that it is set on a server by server basis...

I don't think so, all the operations are in the Server buffer.

Ted

* Re: My gnus does not fetch articles
@ 2013-07-05  4:13               ` Vincent Belaïche
From: Vincent Belaïche @ 2013-07-05  4:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english; +Cc: Vincent Belaïche

Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:

> On Sun, 30 Jun 2013 22:10:55 +0200 vincent.belaiche@gmail.com (Vincent Belaïche) wrote:
>
> VB> I have de-Agentized the news server by doing '^' in group buffer, and
> VB> then in the server buffer 'J r' to remove the server from the agent.
>
> VB> Then back to the group buffer and 'g' to refresh does not get any more
> VB> news for the problematic groups.
>
> VB> *However*, I tried M-x gnus-fetch-group on fr.comp.text.tex and it got
> VB> me all the missing news up to today but with the 'O' (old) mark. That is
> VB> strange because I had never read them... So I all unmarked them with
> VB> some 'C-u 1000 M-u', anywaythat seems to confirm that there is something
> VB> like a time stamp issue with this server and/or my machine and/or
> VB> gnus...
>
> Hmm. That's the limit of my detective skills :)

[...]

Anyway, since I have done that it seems that it is working again:
thank you very much for your kind help.

    Vincent.