* Gnus with cygnus & Earthlink is hanging and flaky for me
@ 2005-03-10  3:12 Darin Johnson
From: Darin Johnson @ 2005-03-10  3:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm having trouble with Gnus under cygwin using Earthlink news
servers.  Things just hang often, requiring me to use C-g to
interrupt, or to quit gnus/emacs and restart.  When it hangs there
seems to be a lot of activity on my DSL modem, but I can't tell what
Gnus is doing since there are not messages.

Sometimes is hangs when it says it's reading the active file,
but then I set gnus-read-active-file to nil.  Sometimes it hangs
when trying to move to the next article, and then when I get tired
of waiting I press C-g to interrupt, press space to read the article,
and I get the message about openning a connection, and the article
comes up.  My gnus-use-article-prefetch was only 4, so it should
have prefetched quickly.  I then gave up and set gnus-asynchronous
to nil, just so I could get some news reading done.  But it is still
flaky at times.  I've also set nntp-buggy-select to t.

I don't know if it's a problem with the Earthlink servers, with
Cygwin, or Gnus itself.
  Gnus 5.10.6
  Cygnus 1.5.13
--
Darin Johnson
    Laziness is the father of invention

* Re: Gnus with cygnus & Earthlink is hanging and flaky for me
@ 2005-03-10  3:43 ` Darin Johnson
From: Darin Johnson @ 2005-03-10  3:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Darin Johnson <darin_@_usa_._net> writes:

> I'm having trouble with Gnus under cygwin using Earthlink news
> servers.

Here's part of the problem.  Using Ethereal to snoop the network
it seems the server is sending back:

  502 Login refused; members are limited to 4 concurrent connections.

Then gnus tries again and again without giving up.  In this case,
retrying the LIST command.  So why is Gnus opening up more than
4 connections, even when I have turned off prefetching?  How
can I close them all, or debug emacs to find which are open?

--
Darin Johnson
    "Are you a doctor?"   "No, but I watched."