* Treat article with external script
@ 2020-06-20 15:43 Breanndán Ó Nualláin
From: Breanndán Ó Nualláin @ 2020-06-20 15:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

I'd like to be able to do article washing by running the article through
an external python script. Is there an easy way to do this?

* Re: Treat article with external script
@ 2020-06-23  8:24 ` Helmut Waitzmann Anti-Spam-Ticket.b.qc3c
From: Helmut Waitzmann Anti-Spam-Ticket.b.qc3c @ 2020-06-23  8:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Breanndán Ó Nualláin <o@uva.nl>:

>I'd like to be able to do article washing by running the article
>through an external python script. Is there an easy way to do
>this?

You could define a function:

   (defun my-gnus-article-wash nil
     "Invoke the program '(car my-gnus-article-wash)' on the current buffer.
   If the variable 'my-gnus-article-wash' is a non-nil list of a
   program name and positional parameters, run it as a filter on
   the current buffer's contents."
     (interactive)
     (if my-gnus-article-wash
       (apply
         (function call-process-region)
         (point-min)
         (point-max)
         (car my-gnus-article-wash)
         nil
         (cdr my-gnus-article-wash))))

… and a variable:

   (defvar my-gnus-article-wash nil
     "*invocation list to be executed on contents of the article buffer.
   If non-nil, is a list containing an executable file name and argv1
   ... argvn invocation arguments to execute on the contents of
   the article buffer and replacing it. One example would be
   '(\"iconv\" \"-t\" \"ASCII//TRANSLIT\")
   to transliterate every non-ASCII character to its corresponding
     ASCII approximate character.")

You might put the function and variable definitions in a file, for
example "~/my_emacs_libs/gnus_wash_articles.el".  Byte compile
that file.  Have it loaded from the emacs startup file:

   (load "~/my_emacs_libs/gnus_wash_articles")

You might put the following assignments into the gnus startup
file:

Assign a value to the variable:

   (setq-default
     my-gnus-article-wash
     '("the_external_python_script" "and" "its" "parameters"))

Put the function into the gnus-part-display-hook:

   (add-hook
     'gnus-part-display-hook
     (function my-gnus-article-wash))

That will invoke the python script with the given parameters on
the article content.