* Re: IMAP server recommendation?
       [not found] <874rf0ll2f.fsf@alum.wpi.edu>
       [not found] ` <affee9d5.0207170900.19b4d5ec@posting.google.com>
@ 2002-07-17 17:27 ` Ned Ludd
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Ned Ludd @ 2002-07-17 17:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

Josh Huber <huber@alum.wpi.edu> writes:
> I'm in the process of setting up a new mail server mostly for my own
> personal use, and I'd like to use nnimap.  Can anyone suggest a good
> IMAP server which works well with Gnus (and Linux)?
>
> I'd like something with SSL and Maildir support, so I was leaning
> toward Courier...but then I thought it would be fun to play with
> Sieve, which appears to only be supported by Cyrus -- is this true?

I'd go with Cyrus.  I'm running it here.  The only problem with it is
that it keeps a proprietary directory and mailbox format.  So if you
ever want to leave it, you'll have to figure out how to get all the
mail out.

The sieve stuff works well (although sieve package for XEmacs is a
little broken).

I did not like Courier's documentation, and the roughness of the
install and configuration.

Ned

* Re: IMAP server recommendation?
@ 2002-07-17 17:49   ` Josh Huber
       [not found]   ` <vafk7ntgslk.fsf@lucy.cs.uni-dortmund.de>
       [not found]   ` <ilubs8u4g4v.fsf@latte.josefsson.org>
From: Josh Huber @ 2002-07-17 17:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ned Ludd <nedludd@hermans.removethis.net> writes:

> I'd go with Cyrus.  I'm running it here.  The only problem with it
> is that it keeps a proprietary directory and mailbox format.  So if
> you ever want to leave it, you'll have to figure out how to get all
> the mail out.

Okay, this sounds a little annoying IMHO.

> The sieve stuff works well (although sieve package for XEmacs is a
> little broken).
>
> I did not like Courier's documentation, and the roughness of the
> install and configuration.

Hmm, I haven't looked at the documentation yet, I just apt-get
installed it and started using it...

Perhaps I was spoiled by the debian packge, which required 0
configuration for me to start using ssl IMAP, whereas with the package
for courier it's not configured to work out of the box.  Partly
because you must configure your MTA (exim in my case) to use the
deliver program.

I'm willing to give it a shot though, but the non-standard mailbox
format is a little bit of a turn-off for me.  What kind of advantages
does this give you?  Does it keep a database of all your mail for fast
searches, etc?

Thanks for the help btw!

--
Josh Huber

@ 2002-07-26 16:19     ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2002-07-26 16:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Ned Ludd <nedludd@hermans.removethis.net> writes:
>
>> I'd go with Cyrus.  I'm running it here.  The only problem with it is
>> that it keeps a proprietary directory and mailbox format.  So if you
>> ever want to leave it, you'll have to figure out how to get all the
>> mail out.
>
> I thought the directories can be converted to MH directories by just
> removing the "." at the end of all the numbered filenames?  So just
> rename all "42." files to "42" (for varying values of 42) and you'll
> be all set, no?

But all flags are lost.

When converting from Cyrus, the easiest is probably to set up the new
server first though, and then use Gnus or some other IMAP client to
move all messages from the old to the new.

@ 2002-07-26 22:02     ` Ned Ludd
From: Ned Ludd @ 2002-07-26 22:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

>> The sieve stuff works well (although sieve package for XEmacs is a
>> little broken).
>
> Can you be more specific?  I'd like to fix it.  Thanks.

Yes, briefly:

1. There are keybindings for 'sieve-remove' ('r'), 'sieve-deactivate'
('u'), and 'sieve-deactivate-all' ('M-delete'), but none of these
functions exist.

2. The menu does not activate in sieve-manage-mode.

3. In my setup mouse button 2 remains bound to 'mouse-track' and does not
do 'sieve-edit' as it is supposed to.

4. '?' is supposed to call 'sieve-help'.  It does seem to be bound
this way.  But when I enter '?' in sieve-manage-mode, I see "`?':help
`M-x cvs-mode-add':add `r':remove" in the minibuffer.

None of this is major, I can still upload files and activate them.

I'm using XEmacs 21.4.8[3] under Win2k. Using sieve XEmacs package
1.07, author version 21.5b5

Hope this helps,

Ned

@ 2002-07-17 17:06   ` Josh Huber
From: Josh Huber @ 2002-07-17 17:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

cmena0@yahoo.com (cm) writes:

> www.fastmail.fm works for me.

Maybe I wasn't clear.  I'm running my own IMAP server, at my
apartment.  I was asking about server software to run on my own
machine. :)

For now I'm using courier since it delivers into Maildirs and seems to
be the easiest to deal with.

--
Josh Huber