* Re: server, group, category, agent... can I download headers? or otherwise prevent having to wait everytime I click on a group?
       [not found] <mailman.1970.1400894119.1147.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
@ 2014-05-24 10:53 ` David Hume
From: David Hume @ 2014-05-24 10:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Brady Trainor <algebrat@uw.edu> writes:

> The first one is not too bad, because I shouldn't want to browse the list of
> groups to often.

My solution to this was to get a copy of the active file and then I
wrote a macro to put the subscribe command around each line like this:

(gnus-subscribe-interactively "gnu.gnusenet.test")

So then I can just put the cursor under the group I want to subscribe
to, and then type ctrl-x ctrl-e and it will execute the command (or
evaluate the expression perhaps is the correct term). I am
sure there is a better way but I don't know.

@ 2014-05-24 11:42 ` Carson Chittom
From: Carson Chittom @ 2014-05-24 11:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Brady Trainor <algebrat@uw.edu> writes:

> 1. Shorter time to wait to see the browse groups (upon typing ^).
> 2. Shorter time when selecting a group and waiting for (all) summaries.

I like to use Leafnode.  It's basically a local NNTP server--you set up
a cron job, and it downloads the groups that you're reading to the local
machine.  Since the NNTP server is now on the local machine, accessing
them is much faster.

It's at http://leafnode.sourceforge.net

@ 2014-05-24 10:12 ` David Hume
From: David Hume @ 2014-05-24 10:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Brady Trainor <algebrat@uw.edu> writes:

> Two results I would like:
>
> 1. Shorter time to wait to see the browse groups (upon typing ^).

I am not sure what you mean here, as when I type ^ I get the list of
servers. If I then select one, it downloads the active file, which I
really don't want as it takes 10 minutes. But you can set your default
server in .gnus with

(setq gnus-select-method '(nntp "news.example.com"))

> 2. Shorter time when selecting a group and waiting for (all) summaries.
>
> The first one is not too bad, because I shouldn't want to browse the list of
> groups to often.
>
> The second one, it seems I would need to download this somehow. I have seen
> it suggested (in the documentation) that I shouldn't try this unless my
> connection is really slow and my disk space is huge. But can I still at
> least save all headers, or whatever it is I'm waiting for to load all 80,000
> summaries (in "gmane.emacs.orgmode")?

I am not sure why it doesn't happen for you, but I get prompted for the
number of headers to download, so I just put in some value. I think the
default was 200, but you can change the default by customizing the
variable:

gnus-newsgroup-maximum-articles 48

48 being about a screen full for me.

@ 2014-05-24 10:09 ` Adam Sjøgren
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2014-05-24 10:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Brady Trainor <algebrat@uw.edu> writes:

> The second one, it seems I would need to download this somehow. I have seen
> it suggested (in the documentation) that I shouldn't try this unless my
> connection is really slow and my disk space is huge. But can I still at
> least save all headers, or whatever it is I'm waiting for to load all 80,000
> summaries (in "gmane.emacs.orgmode")?

Just building the summary for that many articles will take a
considerable amount of time, I think.

The usual way to handle this, is that you only see unread articles when
you enter a group.

Then the newsreader only needs to fetch the articles that have arrived
since you last entered the group, rather than everything.

(And when you subscribe to a group, you usually start by catching up -
i.e. marking all the old articles as read.)

For comparison, Thunderbird suggests to get the newest 500 articles when
entering a group for the first time; sort of the same thing.

  Best regards,

    Adam

--
 "In the past we would do little things for love, but         Adam Sjøgren
  but things, big things required money. Now we can do   asjo@koldfront.dk

@ 2014-05-24  1:04 Brady Trainor
From: Brady Trainor @ 2014-05-24  1:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Pretty new to GNUS. But would like to discover the perfect fit for me.

Let's take news.gmane.org/gmane.test for example.

I am able to create the select method, so that ^ takes me to browse groups.
And I can use `u' to subscribe to a group.

I get mixed up navigating concepts related to servers, groups, categories
and agents.

Two results I would like:

1. Shorter time to wait to see the browse groups (upon typing ^).
2. Shorter time when selecting a group and waiting for (all) summaries.

The first one is not too bad, because I shouldn't want to browse the list of
groups to often.

The second one, it seems I would need to download this somehow. I have seen
it suggested (in the documentation) that I shouldn't try this unless my
connection is really slow and my disk space is huge. But can I still at
least save all headers, or whatever it is I'm waiting for to load all 80,000
summaries (in "gmane.emacs.orgmode")?

I am pretty intimidated about diving into the mechanics of groups,
categories, agents. Especially I would not be sure that I would not try to
download too much, such as articles (vs headers), and certainly not my imap
mail, I would assume I don't want/need this.

Your guidance in my journey is appreciated.

Brady

all typos, errors bad writing styles, ramblings, and conceptual
misunderstandings above are my own. someone else made GNUS. ;)