* Using gnus with locally stored email
@ 2010-10-02  8:21 Gary
From: Gary @ 2010-10-02  8:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

I've got a whole pile of locally stored mail in mbox files in ~/Mail and
subdirectories thereof. Mutt is pretty easily configured to handle that,
and that's what I used exclusively until a few months ago.

As I've been moving ever more to emacs, I find myself using gnus more
and more, but haven't tried integrating locally stored email (which I
still use fetchmail & procmail). What's my best way of doing that? I
still want to suck some email down to my own HD, and that's not going to
change, so please don't suggest using imap :)

If I can, I would still like the email to be accessible to mutt, even if
I only rarely use it. Would nnfolder screw that up? Otherwise, that
looks like the closest to what I already have, right? Or
  (setq mail-sources
        '((directory :path "/home/gary/Mail")))

(Actually I tried just this, and nothing happened - I guess I have to
also set something else?)

* Re: Using gnus with locally stored email
@ 2010-10-02  8:43 ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2010-10-02  8:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

"Gary" <gnus@garydjones.name> writes:

Hi Gary,

>   (setq mail-sources
>         '((directory :path "/home/gary/Mail")))
>
> (Actually I tried just this, and nothing happened - I guess I have to
> also set something else?)

I have to clue about local mail spools, but judging from the docs, the
snippet above looks correct.  Maybe that will create some server and you
first have to subscribe to its groups by entering the *Server* buffer (^
in *Group*, the RET on a server, U on groups to subscribe)?

Bye,
Tassilo

* Re: Using gnus with locally stored email
@ 2010-10-02  9:55   ` Gary
From: Gary @ 2010-10-02  9:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Tassilo Horn wrote:
> "Gary" writes:

>>   (setq mail-sources
>>         '((directory :path "/home/gary/Mail")))
>>
>> (Actually I tried just this, and nothing happened - I guess I have to
>> also set something else?)
>
> I have to clue about local mail spools, but judging from the docs, the
> snippet above looks correct.  Maybe that will create some server and you
> first have to subscribe to its groups by entering the *Server* buffer (^
> in *Group*, the RET on a server, U on groups to subscribe)?

Hmm. You're at least partly right, there is an "nnfolder:archive"
server, and when I press RET I get the message "Connecting to
archive...done"... but there aren't any groups there. If I edit the
server I get
,----
| ;;; Editing the server.
| ;; Type `C-c C-c' after you've finished editing.
|
| (nnfolder "archive"
|           (nnfolder-directory "~/Mail/archive")
|           (nnfolder-active-file "~/Mail/archive/active")
|           (nnfolder-get-new-mail nil)
|           (nnfolder-inhibit-expiry t))
`----

I'm not even convinced that "server" is from today's attempt to set
things up. The date on the directory is 28th May, so it looks like I
tried something before and that is left over from then.