* Re: kb macros ,bbdb questions
       [not found] <a7043d61.0211080540.5dba2a01@posting.google.com>
@ 2002-11-12 14:25 ` Peter Boettcher
       [not found] ` <848z00v9b5.fsf@crybaby.uni-duisburg.de>
From: Peter Boettcher @ 2002-11-12 14:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

sivaramn@sunguru.com (Sivaram Neelakantan) writes:

> With BBDB & message-x installed, I'm able to TAB to get email-id
> completions in the headers when composing but I dont want the buffer
> to split and the BBDB matches to be shown. I'd rather get
> messages/completions on failure/success. Is there a way to customize
> it this way?

Try setting this to nil:

----
bbdb-completion-display-record's value is t

Documentation:
*Whether `bbdb-complete-name' (M-x bbdb-complete-name
in mail-mode) will update the *BBDB* buffer
to display the record whose email address has just been inserted.
----

It still splits the window and displays multiple matches, but it goes
away (or doesn't show up at all) when down to a single match.

--
Peter Boettcher
MIT Lincoln Laboratory

* Re: kb macros ,bbdb questions
       [not found]   ` <a7043d61.0211111933.5b6e2710@posting.google.com>
@ 2002-11-13  7:42     ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-11-13  7:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

sivaramn@sunguru.com (Sivaram Neelakantan) writes:

> macros recorded in gnus message mail buffers run without visible speed
> issues in
> ANY buffer!

So you record a macro in a message buffer.  Then you play it back in
the message buffer and it's slow.  But playing it back in another
buffer is fast?

If it was so slow that you can hit C-g between two characters, then
M-x toggle-debug-on-quit RET might help.  It works like this: hit
C-g, study backtrace.  Hit c.  Wait.  Hit C-g again, study new
backtrace.  Repeat.  After a while, you might see a pattern.

The key part is in the "Wait" step.  That's where Emacs makes its
normal progress.  So if you manage to make that waiting so short that
you can interrupt Emacs ten times between two characters, then you'll
have ten snapshots of what Emacs is doing there.  Maybe that tells
you something.

kai

* Re: kb macros ,bbdb questions
@ 2002-11-13  8:41   ` Sivaram Neelakantan
From: Sivaram Neelakantan @ 2002-11-13  8:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Peter Boettcher <boettcher@ll.mit.edu> wrote in message news:<trznsekgpd.fsf@coyote.llan.ll.mit.edu>...
> sivaramn@sunguru.com (Sivaram Neelakantan) writes:
>
> > With BBDB & message-x installed, I'm able to TAB to get email-id
> > completions in the headers when composing but I dont want the buffer
> > to split and the BBDB matches to be shown. I'd rather get
> > messages/completions on failure/success. Is there a way to customize
> > it this way?
>
> Try setting this to nil:
>

> ----
> bbdb-completion-display-record's value is t

Exactly what I needed!  Thanks
regards,
Sivaram