* Incorporating old mail issues
@ 2003-08-15 21:48 Geoff Wozniak
From: Geoff Wozniak @ 2003-08-15 21:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

I've recently converted to using Gnus for mail (and news) since it handles
PGP/MIME more elegantly than VM did.  Besides, it's just cooler to work
with :)

I've had no problems actually _using_ Gnus, but a few days ago I decided it
was time to archive all my old mail, of which I have nearly 5 years worth.
It is stored in a variety of formats and I've managed to get most of it
converted to the Gnus style using the nnfolder backend.

However, I've hit a snag.  I have about a year's worth of mail that was
originally stored using VM.  When I add these files to the group list using
`gnus-group-make-doc-group' (G f) and then enter that group, the group will
have significantly less messages than are actually in the file.  Normally,
it reports only 3 messages.

I'm quite sure it's an issue that invovles how the messages were sent using
a multipart MIME format.  VM can handle these files just fine, but Gnus
seems more picky.  I've looked at the raw messages and I've not seen what
could be causing this.  If anyone has an idea, I would be glad to hear it.

Thanks.

--
Geoffrey Wozniak
http://wozniak.ca/

He who knows best knows how little he knows.
                             -- Benjamin Franklin

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 188 bytes --]

* Re: Incorporating old mail issues
@ 2003-08-18 16:23 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2003-08-18 16:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

Geoff Wozniak <geoff@wozniak.ca> writes:

> However, I've hit a snag.  I have about a year's worth of mail that was
> originally stored using VM.  When I add these files to the group list using
> `gnus-group-make-doc-group' (G f) and then enter that group, the group will
> have significantly less messages than are actually in the file.  Normally,
> it reports only 3 messages.

Whee.  How could it happen?  Hm.  Since I don't see the actual file,
I can only guess.

Is the first message a multipart/*?  That might cause it to gobble
the next messages, if you're unfortunate.  Not that I've ever seen
this effect, though.

Is every From_ line (except for the first) preceded by an empty line?
It must be, for Gnus to grok the file.

Do some messages have bogus Content-Length headers?
--
Two cafe au lait please, but without milk.