* Problem connecting to Gmail in Gnus
@ 2009-04-18 20:34 V
From: V @ 2009-04-18 20:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Hello,

I 'm fairly new to Gnus, though I 've been using Emacs for a couple
months now on Win XP. I 'm trying to see if I can use Gnus with Gmail.
I followed the instructions on:

http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/GnusGmail

However, when I load up Gnus, I get an error immediately:

imap: Opening SSL connection with `nil'...failed

The entire error log is:
imap: Connecting to imap.gmail.com...
imap: Opening SSL connection with `openssl s_client -quiet -ssl3 -
connect %s:%p'...
imap: Opening SSL connection with `openssl s_client -quiet -ssl2 -
connect %s:%p'...
imap: Opening SSL connection with `s_client -quiet -ssl3 -connect %s:
%p'...
imap: Opening SSL connection with `s_client -quiet -ssl2 -connect %s:
%p'...
imap: Opening SSL connection with `nil'...failed
imap: Connecting to imap.gmail.com...failed
Unable to open nnimap:gmail, go offline? (y or n)
nnimap (gmail) open error: 'nil'.  Continue? (y or n)

To make things simple, I included only one line in my .gnus:
(setq gnus-select-method '(nnimap "gmail" (nnimap-address
"imap.gmail.com") (nnimap-server-port 993) (nnimap-stream ssl)))

I installed Gnutls for Windows, and it sits in C:\Program Files
\GnuTLS-2.7.3. I dont understand how Emacs would know where to look
for it. Also, I searched for ssl.el and could not find it. Could these
be potential issues?

Any comments are appreciated.

Varnit

* Re: Problem connecting to Gmail in Gnus
@ 2009-04-18 22:27 ` Felix Geller
From: Felix Geller @ 2009-04-18 22:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Hi Varnit!

I'm not an expert on the issue, but the following settings work for me:

,----
| (setq imap-ssl-program-binary "d:/path/to/cygwin/bin/openssl.exe")
| (setq imap-ssl-program-arguments "s_client -quiet -ssl3 -connect %s:%p")
| (setq imap-ssl-program (concat imap-ssl-program-binary
| 			       " "
| 			       imap-ssl-program-arguments))
|
| (setq gnus-select-method
|       '(nnimap "gmail"
| 	       (nnimap-address "imap.gmail.com")
| 	       (nnimap-server-port 993)
| 	       (nnimap-authinfo-file "~/path/to/.authinfo")
| 	       (nnimap-stream ssl)))
`----

Where the first two variables are just for the sake of
convenience. Furthermore I only got the SSL connection to succeed using
Cygwin's openssl.exe. There was a discussion on this [fn:1] which helped
me fix my settings.

HTH

felix

Footnotes:

[fn:1] http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.gnus.general/67801/focus=68024

* Re: Problem connecting to Gmail in Gnus
@ 2009-04-19 11:41 ` rahed
From: rahed @ 2009-04-19 11:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

V <varnit.suri@gmail.com> writes:

> However, when I load up Gnus, I get an error immediately:
>
> imap: Opening SSL connection with `nil'...failed

I found (by chance) it works with openssl which is part of git. You can
install git from http://code.google.com/p/msysgit/downloads/list.

--
Radek