* Re: po colon   po:
       [not found] <y44y96cy3hd.fsf@nestle.ai.mit.edu>
@ 2002-12-26 20:14 ` Kai Großjohann
       [not found] ` <ylptrov784.fsf@windlord.stanford.edu>
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-12-26 20:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

Don Saklad <dsaklad@nestle.ai.mit.edu> writes:

> 1.
> What does the letter p and the letter o represent mnemonically ?... po
> in the expression
> (setq nnmail-spool-file "po:your.pop.account")

I think po are the first two letters of pop (or POP), which stands
for Post Office Protocol.

So maybe you can read them as Post Office?

> 2.
> Exactly what does the  po colon  element do in the expression?...

Emacs invokes the program movemail to fetch mail into your home dir.
Movemail interprets "po:" specially and knows that it has to do a POP
fetch instead of copying a local file.

> 3.
> What does the letter  q  represet mnemonically?...
> in the part of the expression
> setq

Quote.

> 4.
> What do the letters  nn  represent mnemonically?...
> in the part of the expression
> nnmail

It's a pun, a joke.  Network News, I think.

--
Ambibibentists unite!

* Re: po colon   po:
@ 2002-12-27 10:31     ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-12-27 10:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

Karl Kleinpaste <karl@charcoal.com> writes:

> It's kinda funny that the "nn" prefix held for Gnus 5

Maybe it's because when Lars created nneething, he couldn't resist :-)
--
Ambibibentists unite!

* Re: po colon   po:
       [not found] ` <ylptrov784.fsf@windlord.stanford.edu>
@ 2002-12-26 23:38   ` Karl Kleinpaste
From: Karl Kleinpaste @ 2002-12-26 23:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

Russ Allbery <rra@stanford.edu> writes:
>> What do the letters  nn  represent mnemonically?...
>> in the part of the expression
>> nnmail

> This one I don't know.

netnews.

There were once just server methods nntp and nnspool.  For Gnus 5,
along came nnml, nnmh, and the rest, perpetuating the (bad?) habit
which really fits only nntp -- nothing else is actually netnews.  Gnus
just makes it all smell kinda netnews-ish.

It's kinda funny that the "nn" prefix held for Gnus 5, considering
that the last serious change to GNUS 4 for mail was the primitive
"mixspool" method, by Scott Blachowicz, which combined nntp with what
we'd now call nnml-style access.