* Re: Summary and messages out of sync
       [not found] <86d6phrzi6.fsf@jamestown.21stcentury.net>
       [not found] ` <u4rasbvub.fsf@speakeasy.org>
@ 2002-11-09 15:50 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-11-09 15:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

James McNaughton <jtm@jamestown.21stcentury.net> writes:

> In some, but not all newsgroups, the information in the summary buffer
> (whether threaded or not threaded) is not the same as the message it
> leads to.

Do you have files called ".overview" or something with NOV or nov in
the ~/News directory for these groups?  Delete those files.

find ~/News -iname '.over*'
find ~/News -iname '*nov*'

Does this help?

kai

@ 2002-11-09  4:59   ` James McNaughton
From: James McNaughton @ 2002-11-09  4:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

adt2@speakeasy.org (A. Tsakiris) writes:

> James McNaughton <jtm@jamestown.21stcentury.net> writes:
>
>   > In some, but not all newsgroups, the information in the summary buffer
>   > (whether threaded or not threaded) is not the same as the message it
>   > leads to.
>
>   > Is this a problem in gnus or on the mail server?
>   >
>   > If its gnus, how do I fix it?
>
> This happened once to the groups I use for mail.  These are nnml
> groups.  My local files got a little disordered when someone sent
> me an e-mail that anti-virus software had trouble cleaning
> (that's another story).  The command
>
>   nnml-generate-nov-databases
>
> tidied everything up.  Try searching for NOV with apropos.

My nnml groups are fine. It's the nntp groups, and only 2 of them that
I can see, that are hosed. Is that information cached locally?

If summary information isn't cached locally then my ISP's news feed is
fubar for those groups.