* Re: Latin-1 characters in Gnus
       [not found] ` <863coacbxl.fsf@kronstadt.homeunix.net>
@ 2003-01-03 20:28   ` John Goerzen
       [not found]     ` <86fzs9onra.fsf@kronstadt.homeunix.net>
From: John Goerzen @ 2003-01-03 20:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ian Zimmerman <itz@speakeasy.org> writes:

> I just had some problems with this myself (see "european headers"
> thread yesterday).

Interesting discussion (those following along at home may find it at
http://groups.google.com/groups?dq=&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&threadm=m3bs2yg0wt.fsf%40quimbies.gnus.org&prev=/groups%3Fhl%3Den%26lr%3D%26ie%3DUTF-8%26group%3Dgnu.emacs.gnus

Unfortunately, it wasn't directly helpful to this question -- I don't
want to install half a gig of fonts to get a single character :-)

However, later experimentation showed that installing:

xfonts-base-transcoded xfonts-75dpi-transcoded xfonts-100dpi-transcoded

solved this particular problem -- for X.  Still is a problem in an
xterm, though.

> John> In a text console, gnus always renders this as a question mark.
>
> For terminals, you need to know your terminal type (ie. the TERM
> environment variable).  Then, stick something like this in
> ${EMACS}/site-lisp/term/${TERM}.el:
>
> ;; this from my linux.el
> ;; The Linux console handles Latin-1 by default.
>
> (unless (terminal-coding-system)
>   (set-terminal-coding-system 'iso-latin-1))

I tried setting this manually (M-x set-terminal-coding-system RET
iso-latin-1 RET) before starting gnus.  It had no effect.  I also
tried setting it to latin-1 (any idea what the difference is?), which
also had no effect.

> See the thread yesterday.  You need both *-iso8859-1 and *-iso8859-15
> versions of your emacs font.  I bet the reason it "sometimes" works is
> you have the -1 font and don't have the -15 one.

Really weird, as it's an 8859-1 character.  I don't even know what the
8859-15 charset is for...

-- John

* Re: Latin-1 characters in Gnus
       [not found]       ` <87adihk98i.fsf@christoph.complete.org>
@ 2003-01-04 14:28         ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2003-01-04 14:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

John Goerzen <jgoerzen@complete.org> writes:

> My keyboard does not have one, so I don't know how to do this in the
> console.  In X, however, I have used xmodmap to remap one of the
> Windows keys to SunCompose.  Works great everywhere -- EXCEPT emacs!
> When I try to type an umlauted letter with SunCompose-o-", it'll work
> fine in the shell.  In emacs, it doesn't appear, and the minibuffer
> says "Beginning of buffer" -- even though the cursor is not at the
> buffer's beginning.

I have a key that generates Multi_key, and that works in many apps
including Emacs.

Latin-9 is not the same as Latin-1 with Euro.  The two charsets
differ by six or seven characters.  The Euro is only the most
important one.  Also, Latin-9 does not have more characters than
Latin-1, just different ones.  For example, the Latin-1 "currency
sign" character (also known as dart or rocket) has been replaced with
Euro.
--
Ambibibentists unite!