* A Solaris compatibility package?
@ 2003-06-11  6:35 Sergei Pokrovsky
From: Sergei Pokrovsky @ 2003-06-11  6:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

The Solaris "Mailer" program produces attachments and forwards which
are not compatible with my gnus (I have "Mailer 1.3.0" and Gnus
v.5.8.8).  I do not know which one deviates from the standards, but
practically I use gnus for both mail and news.  But still, I have to
work which colleagues who often send me attachments or forwarded mail
which I cannot easily read.  That is, I can do it, but I have to save
it somewhere and and perform the necessary conversions outside gnus).

Now I wonder, given considerable number of people who use gnus on
Solaris, is there a plugin package which would enable me to easily
open an Solaris Mailer attachment, or a forwarded message presently
shown like this:

,----

| [2. application/octet-stream; sun-deskset-message]...
|
| ----------
|
| [4. application/octet-stream; sun-deskset-message]...
|
| ----------
|
| [6. application/octet-stream; sun-deskset-message]...

`----

(Presently the only option offered is
"Save MIME part to: ~/sun-deskset-message".)

--
Sergei

* Re: A Solaris compatibility package?
@ 2003-06-11  7:04 ` Kai Großjohann
       [not found]   ` <uuu1axrsbw.fsf@nbsp.nsk.su>
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2003-06-11  7:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

Sergei Pokrovsky <pok@none.nowhere.invalid> writes:

> (Presently the only option offered is
> "Save MIME part to: ~/sun-deskset-message".)

Wow, I'm surprised that Gnus deals so well with this stuff.
Actually, the Sun messages conform to a Sun standard, and Sun
themselves have migrated to MIME with Solaris and CDE.

Try typing `t' on the MIME button, instead of RET.  That ought to
offer you a list of MIME types -- if you already know what's inside
the attachment, you could choose the right one.  If you don't know
what's in there... hm.  Maybe you could type `v' and specify "file %s"
(sans quotes) as the viewer.  That would tell you what's in the file.
Then you can choose the right viewer with `v' or type with `t'.

--
This line is not blank.

* Re: A Solaris compatibility package?
       [not found]     ` <84llw8rgos.fsf@lucy.is.informatik.uni-duisburg.de>
@ 2003-06-12  3:10       ` Sergei Pokrovsky
From: Sergei Pokrovsky @ 2003-06-12  3:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

  Kai> Sergei Pokrovsky <pok@none.nowhere.invalid> writes:
  >> Most often it contains an uuencoded message from a Solaris
  >> mailbox.  I would like to open it with gnus, rather than send it
  >> to Mail; and I'd like it to pass the usual MIME treatment,
  >> e.g. in what concerns the encodings.  But I do not know how to
  >> call a "gnusclient".

  Kai> In that case, C-d might be your friend.  What's the summary
  Kai> buffer that it produces?

None.  It says (in the *Messages* buffer):

,----
`----

  Kai> I'm not sure if it contains what you need, though.

Alas, no luck :(

--
Sergei