* gnus default save-as directory
@ 2002-12-30 15:09 Haines Brown
From: Haines Brown @ 2002-12-30 15:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

Someone kindly advised on how to set this directory, but it's not
working for me after reloading emacs.

The default directory to save gnus messages (C-o) is ~/NEWS. However,
I want it instead to be /opt. Here's the lines I tried in ~/.emacs:

(custom-set-variables
  ;; custom-set-variables was added by Custom -- don't edit or cut/paste it!
 '(gnus-directory "/opt")
 '(gnus-home-directory "/opt"))
(custom-set-faces
  ;; custom-set-faces was added by Custom -- don't edit or cut/paste it!
 )

I don't know what this custom-set-faces statement means, but it showed
up.
--
      Haines Brown
	brownh@hartford-hwp.com

* Re: gnus default save-as directory
@ 2002-12-30 15:18 ` Norbert Koch
From: Norbert Koch @ 2002-12-30 15:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

Haines Brown <brownh@hartford-hwp.com> writes:

Hi!

> The default directory to save gnus messages (C-o) is ~/NEWS. However,
> I want it instead to be /opt. Here's the lines I tried in ~/.emacs:
>
> (custom-set-variables
>   ;; custom-set-variables was added by Custom -- don't edit or cut/paste it!
>   ;; Your init file should contain only one such instance.
>  '(gnus-directory "/opt")
>  '(gnus-home-directory "/opt"))
> (custom-set-faces
>   ;; custom-set-faces was added by Custom -- don't edit or cut/paste it!
>   ;; Your init file should contain only one such instance.
>  )
>
> I don't know what this custom-set-faces statement means, but it showed
> up.

You need to set the variable 'gnus-article-save-directory'.

In the custom-set-faces part are face definitions which you may set
through the custom interface (M-x customize-face RET).

norbert.
--
Yow!  Are you the self-frying president?

* Re: gnus default save-as directory
@ 2002-12-30 17:57   ` Haines Brown
From: Haines Brown @ 2002-12-30 17:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

Norbert Koch <nk+news@viteno.net> writes:

> You need to set the variable 'gnus-article-save-directory'.

That worked very well, thank you.

What is the best way to find the names of variables such as this? I
need to find the comparable variables for save-as under rmail
(rmail-article-save-directory is not it) and for emacs in general
(setting the default save-as directory in text mode to be other than
~/)?

--

@ 2002-12-30 18:47     ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-12-30 18:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

Haines Brown <brownh@hartford-hwp.com> writes:

> Norbert Koch <nk+news@viteno.net> writes:
>
>> You need to set the variable 'gnus-article-save-directory'.
>
> That worked very well, thank you.
>
> What is the best way to find the names of variables such as this?

Reading the manual...  However, apropos is your friend.

> I need to find the comparable variables for save-as under rmail
> (rmail-article-save-directory is not it) and for emacs in general
> (setting the default save-as directory in text mode to be other than
> ~/)?

I'd read the manual, or use M-x apropos-variable RET rmail.*directory RET.

(M-x apropos RET is also useful.  It's not the same as C-h a, at
least not in Emacs.)
--
Ambibibentists unite!