* Re: gnus hangs emacs at start
       [not found] <pan.2002.12.22.15.57.06.893701@hartford-hwp.com>
@ 2002-12-23 17:34 ` Dave Bennett
From: Dave Bennett @ 2002-12-23 17:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Haines Brown" <brownh@hartford-hwp.com> writes:

> A new install of RedHat 8.0, using gnus 5.9.0.
>
>  in minibuffer appears: "loading gnus... done,'
> but emacs is completely hung and I have to kill its processes to escape.

I have this too on occasion.  What I've discovered about it is that
there seems to be some problem between processes inside of emacs.  If
I use festival from my customized emacs menu to have the computer read
some text to me, and then try to use gnus, it'll hang.  If I use gnus
and then later festival, it doesn't hang.

Festival starts a process that somehow interfers with gnus.  I've used
several other emacs subsystems without this problem so it must be
something in gnus.

I don't know if you're starting anything else, but I'd suspect the
issue is inside of gnus.

* Re: gnus hangs emacs at start
@ 2002-12-28 15:36   ` Haines Brown
       [not found]     ` <m2smwfxvj4.fsf@hartford-hwp.com>
From: Haines Brown @ 2002-12-28 15:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

The problem disappeared. Thanks for the help. It seems something was
not quite right in my ~/.gnus and ~/authinfo files. When I rebuilt the
former, it worked, although the latter still not used (I'm assuming
gnus looks for it by default). Here it is:

machine news.snet.sbcglobal.net login hbrown password xxxxx
machine localhost login news password snet

The info in the first line is correct, and I assume the syntax is
also. The second line I don't understand, but worked before.

--
      Haines Brown
	brownh@hartford-hwp.com

* Re: gnus hangs emacs at start
       [not found]     ` <m2smwfxvj4.fsf@hartford-hwp.com>
@ 2002-12-30 18:46       ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-12-30 18:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Haines Brown <brownh@hartford-hwp.com> writes:

> I find that starting .gnus, regardless of whether there are any gnus
> files in ~/ can randomly hang emacs.
>
> My work-aroud is:
>
>         Mx toggle-debug-on-quit
>         C-g

If you have several servers configured and Gnus can't connect to one
of them, then you can use C-g to skip that server.

So maybe C-g works even without debugging turned on.

I suggest to (setq gnus-verbose 10 gnus-verbose-backends 10), then
you can better see what Gnus is doing.

--
Ambibibentists unite!