* Two different IMAP accounts from one server
@ 2002-11-28  2:08 Tomasz Kosinski
       [not found] ` <958686cf.0211281404.29020d40@posting.google.com>
From: Tomasz Kosinski @ 2002-11-28  2:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have recently created a second login account with my isp, and I read
mail (from that isp) using IMAP (Gnus v5.9.0). I am wondering how to
read from two different accounts on the same server. Until now, reading
from only one account, the relevant section of my .gnus looks like:

(setq gnus-secondary-select-methods '((nnml "mail")
				      (nnsoup "")
				      (nnimap "isp"
					      (nnimap-address "imap.isp.com")
 					      (nnimap-authenticator login)
					      )))

authorization from my .authinfo file, which has the following line:

        machine imap.isp.com login mynameno1 password mypasswd

First, to retrieve mail from the second/new account, would the simplest
thing be just to add another line to .authinfo?

        machine imap.isp.com login myothername password myotherpasswd

Then, I have minimal mail splitting rules in effect:

(setq nnimap-split-inbox '("INBOX"))
(setq nnimap-split-crosspost nil)
(setq nnimap-split-rule
      '(("INBOX.metafont" "^Subject:.*METAFONT")
        ...etc...
	("INBOX.private" "")))
(setq nnimap-split-predicate "UNDELETED")

If I leave this untouched, will all the mail which isn't split into
"INBOX.metafont", etc. go into one "nnimap+isp:INBOX.private" box? In
other words, mail from both accounts which doesn't match any split
criteria in one "Inbox"? This is ok, I don't need to split the two.

I hope my question is clear. Thanks for any help. I am one of those
"anybody including nonprogrammers" guys Mr. Saklad was asking about in
one of his posts...except that I have tried to figure out what I can and
asked the list for help otherwise. Thanks again, for present and past
help.

Tomasz

* Re: Two different IMAP accounts from one server
@ 2002-11-28 10:05 ` Andrew Markebo
       [not found] ` <958686cf.0211281404.29020d40@posting.google.com>
From: Andrew Markebo @ 2002-11-28 10:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

/ Tomasz Kosinski <mickle@panix.com> wrote:
| I have recently created a second login account with my isp, and I read
| mail (from that isp) using IMAP (Gnus v5.9.0). I am wondering how to
| read from two different accounts on the same server. Until now, reading
| from only one account, the relevant section of my .gnus looks like:

Hi!

Reading the info of my Oort Gnus (select info -> Getting Mail) I find
something like:

(imap :server "srv"
       :user "user :password "pwd")

Used something like

     (setq mail-sources '((imap :user "jrl"
                               :server "pophost")))

I don't know if it is compatible with gnus-secondary-select-methods,
or if you can use mail-sources to also store stuff on the imap-server.

  /Andy

--
 The eye of the beholder rests on the beauty!

* Re: Two different IMAP accounts from one server
@ 2002-11-28 12:14   ` Kai Großjohann
       [not found]     ` <m3d6op4qvs.fsf@flognat.myip.org>
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-11-28 12:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

Andrew Markebo <andrew.markebo@telia.com> writes:

> I don't know if it is compatible with gnus-secondary-select-methods,
> or if you can use mail-sources to also store stuff on the imap-server.

nnimap means to leave mail on the server and to modify it there.
When a message is moved from one group to another, this happens on
the IMAP server.

Putting an `imap' entry in mail-sources means to fetch mail from the
IMAP server and to store it in your local home dir, outside of the
IMAP server.

Do not use both for the same server.  It's okay to use nnimap for
server A and mail-sources for server B, but using both for the same
server doesn't make sense.  (What is there for nnimap to manage after
mail-sources has removed the messages from the server?)

* Re: Two different IMAP accounts from one server
@ 2002-11-28 13:35     ` Kester Clegg
       [not found]     ` <m3d6op4qvs.fsf@flognat.myip.org>
From: Kester Clegg @ 2002-11-28 13:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

kai.grossjohann@uni-duisburg.de (Kai Großjohann) writes:

> Putting an `imap' entry in mail-sources means to fetch mail from the
> IMAP server and to store it in your local home dir, outside of the
> IMAP server.

If you do this, and say, also have a pop source in your mail-sources,
how do you split to your local folders?  Do you need to have two sets of
split rules, one for each server type?  My girlfriend wants exactly this
set up, and I'm not sure she'll be able to split her mail from the two
sources with one set of rules.

Kester Clegg				Dept. of Computer Science,
Research Assistant (UTC)		University of York,
Tel (01904) 43 27 49			email: kester at cs.york.ac.uk

* Re: Two different IMAP accounts from one server
@ 2002-11-28 15:38       ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-11-28 15:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kester Clegg <kester@RemoveThisBit.cs.york.ac.uk> writes:

> kai.grossjohann@uni-duisburg.de (Kai Großjohann) writes:
>
>> Putting an `imap' entry in mail-sources means to fetch mail from the
>> IMAP server and to store it in your local home dir, outside of the
>> IMAP server.
>
> If you do this, and say, also have a pop source in your mail-sources,
> how do you split to your local folders?  Do you need to have two sets of
> split rules, one for each server type?  My girlfriend wants exactly this
> set up, and I'm not sure she'll be able to split her mail from the two
> sources with one set of rules.

Both mail sources will be processed with the same set of rules.

That means if you have a rule that splits mail from John into the
group nnml:john, and you have a message from John on the IMAP server
and another on the POP server, then both of them will end up in
nnml:john.

Is this what she wants, or does she want something else?

@ 2002-11-28 16:45       ` Kai Großjohann
       [not found]         ` <m38yzd4fyn.fsf@flognat.myip.org>
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-11-28 16:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Andrew Markebo <andrew.markebo@telia.com> writes:

> Thought something like this, but my spine wasn't 100% sure.. but can I
> use 'mail-sources' format in the 'gnus-secondary-select-methods' list
> (or whatever.. ;-))

No.

What do you want to do?

@ 2002-11-29 14:14           ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-11-29 14:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

Andrew Markebo <andrew.markebo@telia.com> writes:

> / kai.grossjohann@uni-duisburg.de (Kai Großjohann) wrote:
>>
> | What do you want to do?
>
> Add password to the gnus-secondary-select-methods..

I believe I answered that one: I think if you have an (nnimap "foo"
...) entry in gnus-secondary-select-methods and another (nnimap "bar"
...) entry, then you can put

    machine foo login l1 password p1
    machine bar login l2 password p2

into ~/.authinfo.

Does it work?

* Re: Two different IMAP accounts from one server
       [not found]   ` <86znrsb7og.fsf@panix.com>
@ 2002-12-02 10:37     ` Jens Schmidt
From: Jens Schmidt @ 2002-12-02 10:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

Er, the patch should be added to the .emacs with the defun quoted by an
apostrophe as follows:

(eval-after-load "nnimap"
  '(defun nnimap-open-connection (server) ...))

instead of

(eval-after-load "nnimap"
  (defun nnimap-open-connection (server) ...))

as pointed out in my previous posting.