* Topic-wise subscription of new newsgroups
@ 2005-03-08  8:44 Stefan Kamphausen
From: Stefan Kamphausen @ 2005-03-08  8:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear Gnus,

I'm trying to configure my gnus so that it will automatically
subscribe a newsgroup created by a fancy nnmail split.

I have a splitting rule like this:

(setq nnmail-split-fancy
      '(&
        ;; some more here
        (from ".* <?\\(.+\\)@office-address.example.*" "mail.office.\\1")
        ;; some more here
        "mail.inbox"))

As you can see I use multiple outputs so that I have an old-style
inbox together with mailboxes for each of my colleagues.  This is
working fine.

However, whenever I receive an email of a new colleague (which has no
group associated) I can only see the new group when I do a
gnus-find-new-newsgroups manually.  But I'd like them so show up
immediately.

My preferred approach would be to use:
(setq gnus-parameters
      '(("^nnml.*"
         (gnus-show-threads nil)
         (gnus-check-new-newsgroups 'always))
       ))

And while the first setting (gnus-show-threads) is working fine (which
tells me that the matcher works) the second does nothing.  I tried
this in group and topic parameters (using G p and G c), too, but to no
avail.

I found the possibility for "always" only in the info file (how do you
always add these nice boxes??) while it is not in the docstring.

Thanks and Regards
Stefan Kamphausen
--
Stefan Kamphausen --- http://www.skamphausen.de
a blessed +42 regexp of confusion (weapon in hand)

@ 2005-03-08 12:10 ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2005-03-08 12:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Mar 08 2005, Stefan Kamphausen wrote:

>         (from ".* <?\\(.+\\)@office-address.example.*" "mail.office.\\1")
[...]
> However, whenever I receive an email of a new colleague (which has no
> group associated) I can only see the new group when I do a
> gnus-find-new-newsgroups manually.  But I'd like them so show up
> immediately.

Did you try this suggestion from the manual?

`----

> My preferred approach would be to use:
> (setq gnus-parameters
>       '(("^nnml.*"
>          (gnus-show-threads nil)
>          (gnus-check-new-newsgroups 'always))
>        ))
>
> And while the first setting (gnus-show-threads) is working fine (which
> tells me that the matcher works) the second does nothing.

Finding and subscribing new newsgroups is done at startup or by using
the function `gnus-find-new-newsgroup'.  I wouldn't expect that
`gnus-check-new-newsgroups' makes any sense in context of specific
groups or topics.

> I tried this in group and topic parameters (using G p and G c), too,
> but to no avail.
>
> I found the possibility for "always" only in the info file (how do you
> always add these nice boxes??) while it is not in the docstring.

Like the one above?

,----[ C-h f rs-info-boxquote RET ]
| rs-info-boxquote is an interactive Lisp function in `rs-info'.
| (rs-info-boxquote &optional USE-LIST)
|
| Yank text (from an info node), box it and use current info node as title.
| If USE-LIST, the title is taken from `rs-info-title-alist'
| depending on the current newsgroup.
`----

See: http://theotp1.physik.uni-ulm.de/~ste/comp/emacs/misc/rs-info.el

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

@ 2005-03-08 13:14   ` Stefan Kamphausen
From: Stefan Kamphausen @ 2005-03-08 13:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

Reiner Steib <reinersteib+from-uce@imap.cc> writes:

> On Tue, Mar 08 2005, Stefan Kamphausen wrote:
>
>>         (from ".* <?\\(.+\\)@office-address.example.*" "mail.office.\\1")
> [...]
>> However, whenever I receive an email of a new colleague (which has no
>> group associated) I can only see the new group when I do a
>> gnus-find-new-newsgroups manually.  But I'd like them so show up
>> immediately.
>
> Did you try this suggestion from the manual?

> | `gnus-subscribe-topics'
> |      Put the groups into the topic that has a matching `subscribe' topic
> |      parameter (*note Topic Parameters::).  For instance, a `subscribe'
> |      topic parameter that looks like
> |
> |           "nnslashdot"
> |
> |      will mean that all groups that match that regex will be subscribed
> |      under that topic.
> `----

Well, no (about half an hour ago) and yes (now).  I put

(setq gnus-subscribe-newsgroup-method 'gnus-subscribe-topics)

into my gnus-init-file and edited the topic parameters (using G c) so
that the edit window (G p) now shows the line

((subscribe . "nnmail"))

Unfortunately it still doesn't work.  A new group that had appeared
today was not showing up.  Only after M-x gnus-find-new-newsgroups it
did show up in the root-topic "Gnus".

It was a lucky coincidence that I had a new group to subscribe to
today for testing purposes.  I assume I could always test this by
first killing a group (S k) and then checking whether it shows up
again, right?

,----[ (info "(gnus)New Groups") ]
| If you are satisfied that you really never want to see any new groups,
| you can set `gnus-check-new-newsgroups' to `nil'.  This will also save
| you some time at startup.  Even if this variable is `nil', you can
| always subscribe to the new groups just by pressing `U' in the group
| buffer (*note Group Maintenance::).  This variable is `ask-server' by
| default.  If you set this variable to `always', then Gnus will query
| the back ends for new groups even when you do the `g' command (*note
| Scanning New Messages::).
`----

The behaviour described in the last sentence is what I'd like to
have.

>>(how do you always add these nice boxes??)
>
> Like the one above?
> [snip]
> See: http://theotp1.physik.uni-ulm.de/~ste/comp/emacs/misc/rs-info.el

Yes, thanks for the pointer.  It needs boxquote.el from davep.org
which I had to fetch, too.  Me happy now :-)

Thanks and Regards
Stefan Kamphausen
--

@ 2005-03-08 14:19     ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2005-03-08 14:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Mar 08 2005, Stefan Kamphausen wrote:

> ((subscribe . "nnmail"))
>
> Unfortunately it still doesn't work.

"nnml" doesn't match "nnmail".

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

@ 2005-03-08 14:32       ` Stefan Kamphausen
From: Stefan Kamphausen @ 2005-03-08 14:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

Reiner Steib <reinersteib+from-uce@imap.cc> writes:

> On Tue, Mar 08 2005, Stefan Kamphausen wrote:
>
>> ((subscribe . "nnmail"))
>>
>> Unfortunately it still doesn't work.
>
> "nnml" doesn't match "nnmail".

Oh my, how can one boy be that stupid all alone? ;-)

Nevertheless I don't get subscribed to a group I just killed.  Maybe I
don't test correctly?  I killed a group (S k) and had that colleague
send me an email again.  M-x gnus-find-new-newsgroups found that group
again but neigher 'g' nor restarting XEmacs and Gnus did.

I hope I'm not too annoying here.  The answer must be simple since I
am searching for it for so long already ;-)

Thanks
Stefan Kamphausen
--

@ 2005-03-08 14:51 ` Tim McNamara
From: Tim McNamara @ 2005-03-08 14:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

Stefan Kamphausen <skampi@gmx.de> writes:

> Dear Gnus,
>
> I'm trying to configure my gnus so that it will automatically
> subscribe a newsgroup created by a fancy nnmail split.
>
> I have a splitting rule like this:
>
> (setq nnmail-split-fancy
>    '(&
>     ;; some more here
>    (from ".* <?\\(.+\\)@office-address.example.*"  "mail.office.\\1")
>     ;;some more here
>    "mail.inbox"))
>
> As you can see I use multiple outputs so that I have an old-style
> inbox together with mailboxes for each of my colleagues.  This is
> working fine.
>
> However, whenever I receive an email of a new colleague (which has
> no group associated) I can only see the new group when I do a
> gnus-find-new-newsgroups manually.  But I'd like them so show up
> immediately.

I use this and can see the groups created for the split-out mail
immediately:

     (setq nnmail-split-methods 'nnmail-split-fancy)
        (setq nnmail-split-fancy
          '(| ("to" "internet-bob@bikelist\\.org" "iBOB")
              ("to" "rbw@bikelist\\.org" "Rivendell")
              ("to" "port-mac68k@netbsd\\.org" "NetBSD")
              ("to" "timmcn@bitstream\\.net" "Inbox")
               "mail.misc"))

One can of course split on the "from" header as well.  I wonder- do
you have the expression

     (setq nnmail-split-methods 'nnmail-split-fancy)

in your .gnus?  Perhaps you're getting an odd effect from missing
that?

* Re: Topic-wise subscription of new newsgroups
@ 2005-03-08 15:19   ` Stefan Kamphausen
From: Stefan Kamphausen @ 2005-03-08 15:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Tim,

Tim McNamara <timmcn@bitstream.net> writes:

> I use this and can see the groups created for the split-out mail
> immediately:
>
>      (setq nnmail-split-methods 'nnmail-split-fancy)
>         (setq nnmail-split-fancy
>           '(| ("to" "internet-bob@bikelist\\.org" "iBOB")
>               ("to" "rbw@bikelist\\.org" "Rivendell")
>               ("to" "port-mac68k@netbsd\\.org" "NetBSD")
>               ("to" "timmcn@bitstream\\.net" "Inbox")
>                "mail.misc"))
>
> One can of course split on the "from" header as well.  I wonder- do
> you have the expression
>
>      (setq nnmail-split-methods 'nnmail-split-fancy)
>
> in your .gnus?  Perhaps you're getting an odd effect from missing
> that?

Yes, I have that setting, otherwise the splitting wouldn't work at
all, right?  So I suppose it must be due to other settings that your
newly created groups show up immediately.
Do you use topic- or group-parameters?  What did you set the variables
gnus-check-new-newsgroups
gnus-subscribe-newsgroup-method
to?

Regards
Stefan Kamphausen
--

@ 2005-03-08 21:35     ` Tim McNamara
From: Tim McNamara @ 2005-03-08 21:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Stefan Kamphausen <skampi@gmx.de> writes:

> Hi Tim,
>
> Tim McNamara <timmcn@bitstream.net> writes:
>
>> I use this and can see the groups created for the split-out mail
>> immediately:
>>
>>      (setq nnmail-split-methods 'nnmail-split-fancy)
>>         (setq nnmail-split-fancy
>>           '(| ("to" "internet-bob@bikelist\\.org" "iBOB")
>>               ("to" "rbw@bikelist\\.org" "Rivendell")
>>               ("to" "port-mac68k@netbsd\\.org" "NetBSD")
>>               ("to" "timmcn@bitstream\\.net" "Inbox")
>>                "mail.misc"))
>>
>> One can of course split on the "from" header as well.  I wonder- do
>> you have the expression
>>
>>      (setq nnmail-split-methods 'nnmail-split-fancy)
>>
>> in your .gnus?  Perhaps you're getting an odd effect from missing
>> that?
>
> Yes, I have that setting, otherwise the splitting wouldn't work at
> all, right?  So I suppose it must be due to other settings that your
> newly created groups show up immediately.

When I get to Gnus's Groups buffer after launching Gnus and it does
the select and split processes, the mailboxes are visible just like
all the NNTP newsgroups I am subscribed to.  As far as I can tell,
this is the default behavior.

> Do you use topic- or group-parameters?

No, other than what you see in the split rules.  I don't know how
to use those things and this works well enough for my needs.

> What did you set the variables
> gnus-check-new-newsgroups
> gnus-subscribe-newsgroup-method

I didn't.  They are whatever is the default- I like to keep it as
simple as I can, to match my rather simple knowledge of Lisp, Emacs
and Gnus.  What Gnus are you using and which backend for mail?  I am
using 5.10.6 and nnml.

Here's my whole .gnus in case it helps or offers some clue:

(setq user-full-name "Tim McNamara")
(setq user-mail-address "timmcn@bitstream.net")

(setq gnus-agent nil)

(setq gnus-select-method '(nntp "news.isp.com"))

(add-to-list 'gnus-secondary-select-methods '(nnml ""))
(eval-after-load "mail-source"
 '(add-to-list 'mail-sources '(pop :server "pop.isp.com"
                                   :user "uuuuuuuuuu"
                                   :password "xxxx")))
(setq send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it)
(setq message-send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it)
(setq smtpmail-smtp-server "smtp.isp.com")
(setq smtpmail-auth-credentials
      '(("smtp.isp.com" 25 "uuuuuuuuuu" "xxxxx")))

(setq gnus-confirm-mail-reply-to-news t)

;;Not currently using spam.el but hope to someday
;;once I understand the configuration
;;(setq spam-use-stat t)
;;(spam-initialize)

(setq nnmail-split-methods 'nnmail-split-fancy)
   (setq nnmail-split-fancy
     '(| ("to" "internet-bob@bikelist\\.org" "iBOB")
         ("to" "rbw@bikelist\\.org" "Rivendell")
         ("to" "port-mac68k@netbsd\\.org" "NetBSD")
         ("to" "timmcn@bitstream\\.net" "Inbox")
         ;;(: spam-split)
         "mail.misc"))

(setq nnmail-crosspost nil)

(setq gnus-auto-expirable-newsgroups
      "mail.misc\\|Inbox\\|iBOB\\|NetBSD\\|Rivendell")