* Displaying images in nnrss feeds
@ 2007-05-11 10:12 Peter Russell
From: Peter Russell @ 2007-05-11 10:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Hello,

I've just started to migrate to Gnus as my mail and news client (I got
sick of Gnome's Evolution, so I thought I'd try out the mail client of
my other favourite environment).  So far I think I like it, but I
think I've still got a lot to learn.

One of the things I really like is the support for RSS feeds.

I've added the RSS feed for http://planet.gnome.org, which is always a
pretty interesting read, and I'm impressed by how well it works.  Some
of the posts on the feed have "hackergotchis", images of the poster
which are attached to posts.  These appear in Gnus as text like this:

[jdub]

And when I put the point over them, and press enter the images are
downloaded and displayed inline.

Is it possible to make these images display by default?  I can't find
any option to do this.

I'd really like all images in posts to be displayed by default, but
it's the hackergotchis I care more about.

Thanks
--
Peter Russell
Qustom

* Re: Displaying images in nnrss feeds
@ 2007-05-11 10:56 ` Katsumi Yamaoka
From: Katsumi Yamaoka @ 2007-05-11 10:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

> I've added the RSS feed for http://planet.gnome.org, which is always a
> pretty interesting read, and I'm impressed by how well it works.  Some
> of the posts on the feed have "hackergotchis", images of the poster
> which are attached to posts.  These appear in Gnus as text like this:

> [jdub]

> And when I put the point over them, and press enter the images are
> downloaded and displayed inline.

You've set `mm-text-html-renderer' to `w3m'.  Right?

> Is it possible to make these images display by default?  I can't find
> any option to do this.

> I'd really like all images in posts to be displayed by default, but
> it's the hackergotchis I care more about.

There is a way to do that if you use emacs-w3m.  Try putting the
following forms in your ~/.gnus.el file:

;; Set the default values of `mm-w3m-safe-url-regexp'
;; and `mm-inline-text-html-with-images'.
(eval-after-load "gnus-sum"
  '(progn
     (add-to-list 'gnus-newsgroup-variables
		  '(mm-w3m-safe-url-regexp . "\\`cid:"))
     (add-to-list 'gnus-newsgroup-variables
		  '(mm-inline-text-html-with-images . nil))))

;; Display images inline in `nnrss' groups.
(add-to-list 'gnus-parameters
	     '("\\`nnrss:"
	       (mm-inline-text-html-with-images t)
	       (mm-w3m-safe-url-regexp nil)))

You can find a similar example in the Gnus manual:

(info "(gnus)RSS") <- Type `C-x C-e' here.

The Emacs MIME manual will be helpful as well:

(info "(emacs-mime)Display Customization")

Regards,

* Re: Displaying images in nnrss feeds
@ 2007-05-11 11:19   ` Peter Russell
From: Peter Russell @ 2007-05-11 11:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Katsumi Yamaoka <yamaoka@jpl.org> writes:

>> I've added the RSS feed for http://planet.gnome.org, which is always a
>> pretty interesting read, and I'm impressed by how well it works.  Some
>> of the posts on the feed have "hackergotchis", images of the poster
>> which are attached to posts.  These appear in Gnus as text like this:
>
>> [jdub]
>
>> And when I put the point over them, and press enter the images are
>> downloaded and displayed inline.
>
> You've set `mm-text-html-renderer' to `w3m'.  Right?

Well, I didn't set it, but that is it's value.  I guess installing the
emacs-w3m package must have set it.

>> Is it possible to make these images display by default?  I can't find
>> any option to do this.
>
>> I'd really like all images in posts to be displayed by default, but
>> it's the hackergotchis I care more about.
>
> There is a way to do that if you use emacs-w3m.  Try putting the
> following forms in your ~/.gnus.el file:

> ;; Set the default values of `mm-w3m-safe-url-regexp'
> ;; and `mm-inline-text-html-with-images'.
> (eval-after-load "gnus-sum"
>   '(progn
>      (add-to-list 'gnus-newsgroup-variables
> 		  '(mm-w3m-safe-url-regexp . "\\`cid:"))
>      (add-to-list 'gnus-newsgroup-variables
> 		  '(mm-inline-text-html-with-images . nil))))
>
> ;; Display images inline in `nnrss' groups.
> (add-to-list 'gnus-parameters
> 	     '("\\`nnrss:"
> 	       (mm-inline-text-html-with-images t)
> 	       (mm-w3m-safe-url-regexp nil)))

Brilliant, that worked perfectly.

> You can find a similar example in the Gnus manual:
>
> (info "(gnus)RSS") <- Type `C-x C-e' here.

I think I'm going to like having mail and news inside emacs :-)

> The Emacs MIME manual will be helpful as well:
>
> (info "(emacs-mime)Display Customization")

Bookmarked.

Thanks very much for your fast and helpful reply.

--
Peter Russell
Qustom