* Re: gnus writing to .emacs on every post
       [not found] <87d6i5shgo.fsf@cecilia.trollope.org>
@ 2003-05-26 19:19 ` Erwan David
       [not found]   ` <87znl976jb.fsf@cecilia.trollope.org>
From: Erwan David @ 2003-05-26 19:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

Michael Powe <michael+gnus@trollope.org> wrote :

> why is gnus trying to write to my .emacs file when i type C-c C-c to
> send a post?  this just started when i upgraded to 5.10.2.  it's very
> annoying, as i have my .emacs in rcs and so it is not writable.  and i
> don't want software writing to that file, anyway!

gnus tries to put your cancel-lock password in it. If you have none it
generates one.

--
Monde de merde

@ 2003-05-27  7:15     ` Erwan David
From: Erwan David @ 2003-05-27  7:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

>     Erwan> Michael Powe <michael+gnus@trollope.org> wrote :
>     >> why is gnus trying to write to my .emacs file when i type C-c
>     >> C-c to send a post?  this just started when i upgraded to
>     >> 5.10.2.  it's very annoying, as i have my .emacs in rcs and so
>     >> it is not writable.  and i don't want software writing to that
>     >> file, anyway!
>
>     Erwan> gnus tries to put your cancel-lock password in it. If you
>     Erwan> have none it generates one.
>
> thanks.  i looked it up in the manual.  i'll see if i can figure a way
> to stop it.

If you do not share your .emacs, put your own cancel-lock password. If
you share it, I think there is a way to put it in another file (you
surely have a non shared configuration file).

--
Monde de merde