* What to do when Article numbers are unreliable?
@ 2006-08-16 12:32 David Kastrup
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: David Kastrup @ 2006-08-16 12:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

with my current news provider, it appears like I get one of a bunch of
news servers on each connection, and the relation between article
numbers and articles is not kept.  That means that whenever I type ^
in order to go up in a thread which I have read before, I get an
"article has been cancelled or expired" message.  A nuisance.  The
same happens when trying to access old articles.

Is there a possibility to forget the "article id"-"article number"
correlation whenever the connection to the server closes?

* Re: What to do when Article numbers are unreliable?
@ 2006-08-16 13:48 ` Frank Schmitt
       [not found] ` <mailman.5296.1155847204.9609.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Frank Schmitt @ 2006-08-16 13:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

David Kastrup <dak@gnu.org> writes:

> with my current news provider, it appears like I get one of a bunch of
> news servers on each connection, and the relation between article
> numbers and articles is not kept.  That means that whenever I type ^
> in order to go up in a thread which I have read before, I get an
> "article has been cancelled or expired" message.  A nuisance.  The
> same happens when trying to access old articles.
>
> Is there a possibility to forget the "article id"-"article number"
> correlation whenever the connection to the server closes?

I don't think so. Gnus uses article numbers for remembering which
articles you've read, not Message-IDs.

--
Did you ever realize how much text fits in eighty columns? If you now consider
that a signature usually consists of up to four lines, this gives you enough

* Re: What to do when Article numbers are unreliable?
@ 2006-08-17  2:33 ` Ivan Boldyrev
       [not found] ` <mailman.5296.1155847204.9609.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Ivan Boldyrev @ 2006-08-17  2:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 9568 day of my life David Kastrup wrote:
> with my current news provider, it appears like I get one of a bunch of
> news servers on each connection, and the relation between article
> numbers and articles is not kept.

Use leafnode as proxy server or (better) change provider because
provider's admins are idiots, and new problems are just waiting...

--
Ivan Boldyrev

                       Perl is a language where 2 x 2 is not equal to 4.

@ 2006-08-18  6:50   ` David Kastrup
From: David Kastrup @ 2006-08-18  6:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ivan Boldyrev <boldyrev+nospam@cgitftp.uiggm.nsc.ru> writes:

> On 9568 day of my life David Kastrup wrote:
>> with my current news provider, it appears like I get one of a bunch of
>> news servers on each connection, and the relation between article
>> numbers and articles is not kept.
>
> Use leafnode as proxy server or (better) change provider because
> provider's admins are idiots, and new problems are just waiting...

Probably my analysis was backwards: updating news seems to work pretty
ok (which articles are read or not), but it is pretty impossible to
get a message using its article Id (like with ^ ) unless it has
already been fetched in this session.

So maybe access by article Id is what is borked.

* Re: What to do when Article numbers are unreliable?
@ 2006-08-18  8:20     ` David Kastrup
  2006-08-18  9:03       ` "expired or been canceled" after `gnus-summary-refer-parent-article' (was: What to do when Article numbers are unreliable?) Reiner Steib
From: David Kastrup @ 2006-08-18  8:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

David Kastrup <dak@gnu.org> writes:

> Ivan Boldyrev <boldyrev+nospam@cgitftp.uiggm.nsc.ru> writes:
>
>> On 9568 day of my life David Kastrup wrote:
>>> with my current news provider, it appears like I get one of a bunch of
>>> news servers on each connection, and the relation between article
>>> numbers and articles is not kept.
>>
>> Use leafnode as proxy server or (better) change provider because
>> provider's admins are idiots, and new problems are just waiting...
>
> Probably my analysis was backwards: updating news seems to work pretty
> ok (which articles are read or not), but it is pretty impossible to
> get a message using its article Id (like with ^ ) unless it has
> already been fetched in this session.
>
> So maybe access by article Id is what is borked.

No, can't be quite that.  When I press ^, the appropriate summary line
with subject, author, number of lines actually appears, but it flashes
yellow, gets marked with "G" and I get an "article was canceled or
expired" message.

Can anybody put a finger on what combination of circumstances would
trigger such a behavior?  I am somewhat at a loss of where to look for
the problem, and what exactly to report the provider of news.

* Re: What to do when Article numbers are unreliable?
@ 2006-08-18  8:49       ` Frank Schmitt
From: Frank Schmitt @ 2006-08-18  8:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

David Kastrup <dak@gnu.org> writes:

> Can anybody put a finger on what combination of circumstances would
> trigger such a behavior?  I am somewhat at a loss of where to look for
> the problem, and what exactly to report the provider of news.

Maybe some old information from your old provider are still laying
around somewhere (~/News or something alike)? I'd try to start Gnus
under a different user to check if the problem persists.

--

@ 2006-08-18  9:03       ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2006-08-18  9:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, Aug 18 2006, David Kastrup wrote:

> No, can't be quite that.  When I press ^, the appropriate summary line
> with subject, author, number of lines actually appears, but it flashes
> yellow, gets marked with "G" and I get an "article was canceled or
> expired" message.

What is the value of `gnus-refer-article-method'[1]?

> Can anybody put a finger on what combination of circumstances would
> trigger such a behavior?

Wild guess: the HEAD command (see below) is successful, but the
ARTICLE command fails for some reason.

> I am somewhat at a loss of where to look for the problem, and what
> exactly to report the provider of news.

Set `nntp-record-commands' to t and look at the commands sent to the
news server(s) in the `*nntp-log*' buffer.  With my setting[1], I
get...

,----[ *nntp-log* ]
| 20060818T104525.795 localhost HEAD <m3y7u7eys0.fsf@foo.bar.invalid>
| 20060818T104533.607 news.belwue.de MODE READER
| 20060818T104533.638 news.belwue.de GROUP gmane.emacs.gnus.user
| 20060818T104533.658 news.belwue.de HEAD <m3y7u7eys0.fsf@foo.bar.invalid>
| 20060818T104533.852 news.gmane.org MODE READER
| 20060818T104533.897 news.gmane.org GROUP gmane.emacs.gnus.user
| 20060818T104533.933 news.gmane.org HEAD <m3y7u7eys0.fsf@foo.bar.invalid>
| 20060818T104534.099 news.gmane.org ARTICLE <m3y7u7eys0.fsf@foo.bar.invalid>
`----

The output of the last nntp command is in the ` *nntpd*' buffer.

Bye, Reiner.

[1]
,----[ <f1> v gnus-refer-article-method RET ]

`----