* Accessing another Mailbox on Exchange
@ 2005-01-26  9:00 Stefan Kamphausen
From: Stefan Kamphausen @ 2005-01-26  9:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear Gnus,

currently I am carefully moving from VM to Gnus (after 8 years of
VM).  During this process I'd like to make use of the nifty things in
Gnus.  For one I now use IMAP to access the Exchange server at the
office.  Currently I'm going down the mail-sources line and it works
fine, but I may switch to nnimap later.  I don't know.

Anyway, the question here is: how can I access another mailbox on the
server.  This is not another folder, nor a public folder.  It's really
another mailbox that I could add to the Outlook client by using the
"Systemsteuerung -> Mail" path (please don't ask me for the english
names here, I don't know nothing about windows and only redesktop'ed
to a terminal server to see that it is working at all).

I hope I could describe the problem in an understandable way.

Kind Regards
Stefan
--
Stefan Kamphausen --- http://www.skamphausen.de
GPG: http://www.skamphausen.de/pubkey-mail-skamphausen-de

* Re: Accessing another Mailbox on Exchange
@ 2005-02-09 15:37 ` Stefan Kamphausen
From: Stefan Kamphausen @ 2005-02-09 15:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

this question finally has an answer.

1. Access the exchange server via IMAP using the nnimap backend for
   the secondary mailbox and nnml for the main box (I want that mail
   stored locally anyway, so I use "IMAP as POP++" here).

(setq gnus-secondary-select-methods
      '((nnml "")
        (nnimap "imapserver"
                (nnimap-address "imapserver")
                )
        ))

;; ....

(eval-after-load "mail-source"
  '(setq mail-sources
         '((imap
            :server "imapserver"
            :user "username"
            :password "password"
            :fetchflag "\\Seen" ;; don't delete while testing it all
            ))))

2. Use a username of the form "windowsdomain/loginname/mailbox" when
   prompted for the username (or in your ~/.authinfo).  This is not to
   be confused with the username given in mail-sources which accesses
   the primary inbox of the user.

   For me the important part of this was, that I had to use the short
   name of the mailbox because the long name (as displayed by one of
   those very common mailreaders) was of the form "Our Team [me&you]"
   so it contained spaces as well as other potentially disturbing
   chars.  I don't know what caused the problem but using the short
   name I can now access that other mailbox.

It took me about two weeks to finally get this, maybe it is of
interest and should be written to MGO?

cheers
stefan