* passing AUTHINFO {USER|PASS} to a foreign server
@ 2010-02-23 14:03 Giacomo Boffi
From: Giacomo Boffi @ 2010-02-23 14:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

i have a user id and a password to connect to a nntp server
,----
| aiuole/../~ Tue Feb 23 14:53:40: tsocks telnet diesel.cu.mi.it nntp
| Trying 193.43.96.1...
| Connected to diesel.cu.mi.it.
| Escape character is '^]'.
| 201 diesel.cu.mi.it InterNetNews NNRP server INN 2.4.3 ready (no posting).
| authinfo user xyxyxyxy
| 381 PASS required
| authinfo pass wzwzwzwz
| 281 Ok
| quit
| 205 .
| Connection closed by foreign host.
`----

i want to create some foreign group on that server, because my primary
server doesn't support a particular hierarchy

following instructions in info file i created a ~/.authinfo file,
following FAQ i put (add-hook 'nntp-server-opened-hook
'nntp-send-authinfo) in my ~/.gnus

i create the foreign group, but i cannot access it

if i "B" rowse the server, i can see a handful of groups that can be
freely accessed, but gnus apparently doesn't try to do the
authentication

what can i do next?

tia
                                                        gb
--
sapete contare fino a venticinque?
Olimpia Milano Jugoplastika Split Partizan Beograd

* Re: passing AUTHINFO {USER|PASS} to a foreign server
@ 2010-02-23 14:06 ` Giacomo Boffi
From: Giacomo Boffi @ 2010-02-23 14:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

,----[ cat ~/.authinfo ]
| machine diesel.cu.mi.it login xyxyxyxy password wzwzwzwz
`----

* Re: passing AUTHINFO {USER|PASS} to a foreign server
@ 2010-02-23 15:35 ` Giacomo Boffi
From: Giacomo Boffi @ 2010-02-23 15:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Giacomo Boffi <giacomo.boffi@polimi.it> writes:

> i have a user id and a password to connect to a nntp server
> [...]
>
> following instructions in info file i created a ~/.authinfo file,
> following FAQ i put (add-hook 'nntp-server-opened-hook
> 'nntp-send-authinfo) in my ~/.gnus
>
> i create the foreign group, but i cannot access it

gnus changed his mind, and noe everything is fine, except that it asks
me the user name when connecting to my primary server, name that is
not necessary... anyhow, both server works and the inconvenience is
very minor

cancel message, sorry for the noise
                                                                gb
--
Vorrei andare a lavorare in Sicilia, a max 15 km dal mare. Con chi
devo parlare? Col capomafia distrettuale? Oppure bisogna sporcarsi le

* Re: passing AUTHINFO {USER|PASS} to a foreign server
@ 2010-02-23 19:15   ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2010-02-23 19:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

On Tue, 23 Feb 2010 16:35:05 +0100 Giacomo Boffi <giacomo.boffi@polimi.it> wrote:

GB> Giacomo Boffi <giacomo.boffi@polimi.it> writes:
>> i have a user id and a password to connect to a nntp server
>> [...]
>>
>> following instructions in info file i created a ~/.authinfo file,
>> following FAQ i put (add-hook 'nntp-server-opened-hook
>> 'nntp-send-authinfo) in my ~/.gnus
>>
>> i create the foreign group, but i cannot access it

GB> gnus changed his mind, and noe everything is fine, except that it asks
GB> me the user name when connecting to my primary server, name that is
GB> not necessary... anyhow, both server works and the inconvenience is
GB> very minor

Hmm, is the add-hook necessary?  I don't have it and NNTP auth works for
me.

Ted

* Re: passing AUTHINFO {USER|PASS} to a foreign server
@ 2010-02-24 15:44     ` Giacomo Boffi
From: Giacomo Boffi @ 2010-02-24 15:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:

> On Tue, 23 Feb 2010 16:35:05 +0100 Giacomo Boffi <giacomo.boffi@polimi.it> wrote:
>
> GB> Giacomo Boffi <giacomo.boffi@polimi.it> writes:
>>> i have a user id and a password to connect to a nntp server
>>> [...]
>>>
>>> following instructions in info file i created a ~/.authinfo file,
>>> following FAQ i put (add-hook 'nntp-server-opened-hook
>>> 'nntp-send-authinfo) in my ~/.gnus
>>>
>>> i create the foreign group, but i cannot access it
>
> GB> gnus changed his mind, and noe everything is fine, except that it asks
> GB> me the user name when connecting to my primary server, name that is
> GB> not necessary... anyhow, both server works and the inconvenience is
> GB> very minor
>
> Hmm, is the add-hook necessary?  I don't have it and NNTP auth works
> for me.

i commented the add-hook in my .gnus, restarted emacs and opened
gnus...

... and NNTP auth doesn't work any more

maybe you have to do authentication on your primary server, while it
is my secondary server the one who needs authentication, i don't know

thank you
                                                                gb
--
Hai capito benissimo quello che intendevi.            -- AirCraft, in ISC