* XEmacs + Gnus problem on Win XP
@ 2005-12-21 10:00 Kristian Kerola
From: Kristian Kerola @ 2005-12-21 10:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

I decided to start following my news at home on my Windows XP computer. Installed XEmacs 21.4.18 and used its package handling system to download Gnus 5.10.7 and the packages required by it.  Everything fine so far but not after this point.  When I start Gnus first everything appeas fine but as it starts connecting to nntp-server it freezes.  Actually, freezing is bit misleading expression as Xemacs obviously is doing something since it uses like 90% of CPU-time.  Gnus however, wont advance from this point.  I tried waiting for quite a while.

I used a simple port forwading script and I can tell the connection is formed and nntp-server sends reply:

200 Sonera corp Internet services -- http://fi.soneraplaza.net/ (Twister v2.0.7. 348)\r\n

Gnus just does seem to react to this in any way.  It never sends anything back to the server.

Any ideas what could be wrong and how to fix it?

Thanks

--
kristian