* Re: european headers
       [not found] <86n0mjl3qf.fsf@kronstadt.homeunix.net>
@ 2003-01-02 20:40 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
       [not found]   ` <86el7vm8di.fsf@kronstadt.homeunix.net>
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2003-01-02 20:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ian Zimmerman <itz@speakeasy.org> writes:

> What do I need to do to see 8859-[12] encoded headers correctly?  I am
> quite sure it just worked out of the box with Gnus 5.8.8 + Emacs20,
> but it is not working now in Gnus 5.9.0 + Emacs21.

It's supposed to work even better now.  What are you seeing?

* Re: european headers
       [not found]     ` <m3lm23nl99.fsf@quimbies.gnus.org>
@ 2003-01-03  2:28       ` Ian Zimmerman
From: Ian Zimmerman @ 2003-01-03  2:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lars> Ian Zimmerman <itz@speakeasy.org> writes:
>> Empty square boxes :-(

Lars> This probably means that you don't have the right fonts
Lars> installed.

After some experiments it seems that Gnus won't display the right
glyphs unless it can find a variant of the _primary_ font in the
required encoding.  By primary I mean the one that gives its name to
the fontset.  In other words, the whole fontset section looks like
nonsense, null and void, it might just as well not be there.

Comments?  _is_ it supposed to work?  Or does Gnus bypass it and look
for the glyphs by itself?  If so why?

--
Ian Zimmerman, Oakland, California, U.S.A.
if (sizeof(signed) > sizeof(unsigned) + 4) { delete this; }

* Re: european headers
@ 2003-01-03  4:29         ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2003-01-03  4:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ian Zimmerman <itz@speakeasy.org> writes:

> After some experiments it seems that Gnus won't display the right
> glyphs unless it can find a variant of the _primary_ font in the
> required encoding.  By primary I mean the one that gives its name to
> the fontset.  In other words, the whole fontset section looks like
> nonsense, null and void, it might just as well not be there.

As far as I know, Gnus just decodes the specified charset, and then
it's up to Emacs to display the resulting characters.

What fontset selection code are you thinking of?

* Re: european headers
@ 2003-01-03  6:27           ` Ian Zimmerman
From: Ian Zimmerman @ 2003-01-03  6:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

itz> After some experiments it seems that Gnus won't display the right
itz> glyphs unless it can find a variant of the _primary_ font in the
itz> required encoding.  By primary I mean the one that gives its name
itz> to the fontset.  In other words, the whole fontset section looks
itz> like nonsense, null and void, it might just as well not be there.

Lars> As far as I know, Gnus just decodes the specified charset, and
Lars> then it's up to Emacs to display the resulting characters.

Lars> What fontset selection code are you thinking of?

C-h i m emacs <ret> i fontsets <ret> n

What I am saying is that my specifying the ",[CHARSET: FONT-NAME]"
clause has no effect.