* Re: scoring and fake From lines
       [not found] <x7r8eutc16.fsf@capsicum.wsrcc.com>
@ 2002-10-14  2:13 ` Ian Zimmerman
From: Ian Zimmerman @ 2002-10-14  2:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

Wolfgang> Has someone written any hacks to allow scoring down fake
Wolfgang> From lines?  Ideally I'd like to penalize syntactically
Wolfgang> incorrect From: lines and From: lines that don't have
Wolfgang> hostnames that exist in DNS.  Essentially I'd like to
Wolfgang> perform the same tests in gnus that any decent MTA performs
Wolfgang> when it receives email.

Any decent MTA ignores the headers, with the exception of adding a Received:
header :)  If they do checking, it is based on the "envelope" (the
information extracted from the SMTP dialog with the sending machine).

However, here's what helped me in a similar situation (I don't do filtering
with gnus): I downloaded the source for spamassassin and studied its tests.

--
Ian Zimmerman, Oakland, California, U.S.A. I did not vote for Emperor Bush.
GPG: 433BA087  9C0F 194F 203A 63F7 B1B8  6E5A 8CA3 27DB 433B A087

only message in thread, other threads:[~2002-10-14  2:13 UTC | newest]