* smtp's failure due to starttls
@ 2009-03-09  6:19 parmenides
From: parmenides @ 2009-03-09  6:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Hi,

I configured gnus to be the client of gmail, and tried to send email over
smtp.
The '~/.gnus' is as follows:

(setq gnus-select-method '(nntp "news.cn99.com"))
(setq user-full-name "Parmenides")
(setq user-mail-address "mobile.parmenides@gmail.com")

(add-to-list 'gnus-secondary-select-methods '(nnimap "gmail"
                                  (nnimap-address "imap.gmail.com")
                                  (nnimap-server-port 993)
                                  (nnimap-stream ssl)))

(load-library "starttls")
(setq message-send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it
      smtpmail-starttls-credentials '(("smtp.gmail.com" 587 nil nil))
      smtpmail-auth-credentials '(("smtp.gmail.com" 587
"mobile.parmenides@gmail.com" passwd))
      smtpmail-default-smtp-server "smtp.gmail.com"
      smtpmail-smtp-server "smtp.gmail.com"
      smtpmail-smtp-service 587
      smtpmail-debug-info t
      smtpmail-local-domain "")

When sending email, smtpmail-send-it issue some messages like these:

Process SMTP deleted
220 mx.google.com ESMTP y5sm79445tia.17

EHLO XF.

250-mx.google.com at your service, [219.228.59.9]

250-SIZE 35651584

250-8BITMIME

250-STARTTLS

250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES

250 PIPELINING

MAIL FROM:<mobile.parmenides@gmail.com> SIZE=675

530 5.7.0 Must issue a STARTTLS command first. y5sm79445tia.17

QUIT

221 2.0.0 closing connection y5sm79445tia.17

I think starttls must make some trouble. According to the gnus' manual, when
connecting through tls, starttls.el and starttls program must exist. What is
so called 'starttls program'? Is it starttls.elc?

Any suggestions are appreciated.

* Re: smtp's failure due to starttls
@ 2009-03-09 20:01 ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2009-03-09 20:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

On Mon, 9 Mar 2009 14:19:43 +0800 "parmenides" <mobile.parmenides@gmail.com> wrote:

p> I think starttls must make some trouble. According to the gnus' manual, when
p> connecting through tls, starttls.el and starttls program must exist. What is
p> so called 'starttls program'? Is it starttls.elc?

You need to install the program "starttls" or the program "gnutls".

The exact procedure for this depends on your system.  Once you have
starttls installed, do

M-x customize-variable RET starttls-program

The description says:
   The program to run in a subprocess to open an TLSv1 connection. Hide Rest
   This program is used when the `starttls' command is used,
   i.e. when `starttls-use-gnutls' is nil.

Hit "save permanently" when done and that's all.

If you install gnutls, you have to customize starttls-use-gnutls and
starttls-gnutls-program instead, through the same procedure.

@ 2009-03-10  1:11   ` parmenides
From: parmenides @ 2009-03-10  1:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

It seems that there is no starttls program installed in my winxp system. Is
there any version of starttls running under winxp or cygwin?

"Ted Zlatanov" <tzz@lifelogs.com> ??????:86eix65uuy.fsf@lifelogs.com...

@ 2009-03-10 14:25     ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2009-03-10 14:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

On Tue, 10 Mar 2009 09:11:37 +0800 "parmenides" <mobile.parmenides@gmail.com> wrote:

p> It seems that there is no starttls program installed in my winxp system. Is
p> there any version of starttls running under winxp or cygwin?

Sorry, I don't know.  I remember recently there was some discussion
about it, see
http://groups.google.com/group/gnu.emacs.gnus/browse_thread/thread/b0c77a6a7b0d1c4d

I don't run Windows so I can't help further, but perhaps someone else
can.

Ted