* Flirting with Insanity with Thread Sorting
@ 2013-06-24  3:52 Joseph Mingrone
From: Joseph Mingrone @ 2013-06-24  3:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Hello;

Is it possible to sort threads so that those with the most recent
articles appear first and have articles/sub-threads within the threads
sorted chronologically?

Right now the top-level threads are sorting properly, but within threads
it looks like this:

Tue Jun 18 at 14:56  ● Joe Schmo
Wed Jun 19 at 18:07  ├――► -> Kim Ho
Thu Jun 20 at 13:20  │  └――► Jane Doe
Thu Jun 20 at 21:17  │    └――► Mary Flo
Tue Jun 18 at 16:04  └――► -> Donny Brasco

When I go to the first article in the thread and evaluate
(gnus-summary-rethread-current), it changes to

Tue Jun 18 at 14:56 ● Joe Schmo
Tue Jun 18 at 16:04 ├――► Donny Brasco
Wed Jun 19 at 18:07 └――► -> Kim Ho
Thu Jun 20 at 13:20   └――► Jane Doe
Thu Jun 20 at 21:17     └――► Mary Flo.

The second sorting makes more sense to me.  Can it be done by default?

I think these are the relevant parts of my configuration:

(custom-set-variables
'(gnus-thread-sort-functions (quote
(gnus-thread-sort-by-most-recent-number))))

(setq gnus-sort-gathered-threads-function (quote
gnus-thread-sort-by-date))

I'm guessing I'm missing something with
gnus-sort-gathered-threads-function because it doesn't seem to matter
what I set it to.

I'm running Gnus from the git repository and GNU Emacs 24.3.1.

Thanks for any suggestions,

Joseph

* Re: Flirting with Insanity with Thread Sorting
@ 2013-06-24 20:39 ` Peter Münster
From: Peter Münster @ 2013-06-24 20:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

On Mon, Jun 24 2013, Joseph Mingrone wrote:

> Tue Jun 18 at 14:56 ● Joe Schmo
> Tue Jun 18 at 16:04 ├――► Donny Brasco
> Wed Jun 19 at 18:07 └――► -> Kim Ho
> Thu Jun 20 at 13:20   └――► Jane Doe
> Thu Jun 20 at 21:17     └――► Mary Flo.
>
> The second sorting makes more sense to me.  Can it be done by default?

This is perhaps what you want:

(setq gnus-thread-sort-functions '((not gnus-thread-sort-by-most-recent-date)))

--
           Peter

* Re: Flirting with Insanity with Thread Sorting
@ 2013-06-25 16:29   ` Joseph Mingrone
From: Joseph Mingrone @ 2013-06-25 16:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Hello;

Peter Münster <pmlists@free.fr> writes:

> On Mon, Jun 24 2013, Joseph Mingrone wrote:
>
>> Tue Jun 18 at 14:56 ● Joe Schmo
>> Tue Jun 18 at 16:04 ├――► Donny Brasco
>> Wed Jun 19 at 18:07 └――► -> Kim Ho
>> Thu Jun 20 at 13:20   └――► Jane Doe
>> Thu Jun 20 at 21:17     └――► Mary Flo.
>>
>> The second sorting makes more sense to me.  Can it be done by default?
>
> This is perhaps what you want:
>
> (setq gnus-thread-sort-functions '((not
> gnus-thread-sort-by-most-recent-date)))

That does sort within the threads chronologically, but threads
themselves are now also sorted chronologically so that threads with
newest articles appear at the bottom of the summary buffer.

This sorting seemed fine to me when I used Mutt, so maybe I can
appreciated it again if GMail hasn't permanently altered my brain.

Thanks,

Joseph