* Flirting with Insanity with Thread Sorting
@ 2013-06-24  3:52 Joseph Mingrone
From: Joseph Mingrone @ 2013-06-24  3:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Hello;

Is it possible to sort threads so that those with the most recent
articles appear first and have articles/sub-threads within the threads
sorted chronologically?

Right now the top-level threads are sorting properly, but within threads
it looks like this:

Tue Jun 18 at 14:56  ● Joe Schmo
Wed Jun 19 at 18:07  ├――► -> Kim Ho
Thu Jun 20 at 13:20  │  └――► Jane Doe
Thu Jun 20 at 21:17  │    └――► Mary Flo
Tue Jun 18 at 16:04  └――► -> Donny Brasco

When I go to the first article in the thread and evaluate
(gnus-summary-rethread-current), it changes to

Tue Jun 18 at 14:56 ● Joe Schmo
Tue Jun 18 at 16:04 ├――► Donny Brasco
Wed Jun 19 at 18:07 └――► -> Kim Ho
Thu Jun 20 at 13:20   └――► Jane Doe
Thu Jun 20 at 21:17     └――► Mary Flo.

The second sorting makes more sense to me.  Can it be done by default?

I think these are the relevant parts of my configuration:

(custom-set-variables
'(gnus-thread-sort-functions (quote
(gnus-thread-sort-by-most-recent-number))))

(setq gnus-sort-gathered-threads-function (quote
gnus-thread-sort-by-date))

I'm guessing I'm missing something with
gnus-sort-gathered-threads-function because it doesn't seem to matter
what I set it to.

I'm running Gnus from the git repository and GNU Emacs 24.3.1.

Thanks for any suggestions,

Joseph