* article reset on the server
@ 2005-11-25 13:55 rahed
From: rahed @ 2005-11-25 13:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi, my server admin deleted messages so article numbers start from 1.
Which way should I remove the old numbering of articles in my gnus?
Thanks.

--
Radek

* Re: article reset on the server
@ 2005-11-25 20:34 ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2005-11-25 20:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, Nov 25 2005, rahed wrote:

> Hi, my server admin deleted messages so article numbers start from 1.
> Which way should I remove the old numbering of articles in my gnus?

I guess that `gnus-group-clear-data' should help.

,----[ (info "(gnus)Group Data") ]
| `M-c'
|      Clear the data from the current group--nix out marks and the list
|      of read articles (`gnus-group-clear-data').
|
| `M-x gnus-group-clear-data-on-native-groups'
|      If you have switched from one NNTP server to another, all your
|      marks and read ranges have become worthless.  You can use this
|      command to clear out all data that you have on your native groups.
|      Use with caution.
`----

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: article reset on the server
@ 2005-11-28  9:12   ` rahed
From: rahed @ 2005-11-28  9:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Reiner Steib <reinersteib+from-uce@imap.cc> writes:

> I guess that `gnus-group-clear-data' should help.
>
> ,----[ (info "(gnus)Group Data") ]
> | `M-c'
> |      Clear the data from the current group--nix out marks and the list
> |      of read articles (`gnus-group-clear-data').
> |
> | `M-x gnus-group-clear-data-on-native-groups'
> |      If you have switched from one NNTP server to another, all your
> |      marks and read ranges have become worthless.  You can use this
> |      command to clear out all data that you have on your native groups.
> |      Use with caution.
> `----
>
> Bye, Reiner.
M-c cleared all article marks but article numbers are untouched. So
after entering the group I can see only old subject names articles. New
ones which do exist on the server are consequently seen as read by the gnus.
--

@ 2005-11-29 10:44     ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2005-11-29 10:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, Nov 28 2005, rahed wrote:

> Reiner Steib <reinersteib+from-uce@imap.cc> writes:
>
>> I guess that `gnus-group-clear-data' should help.
>>
>> ,----[ (info "(gnus)Group Data") ]
>> | `M-c'
>> |      Clear the data from the current group--nix out marks and the list
>> |      of read articles (`gnus-group-clear-data').
[...]
> M-c cleared all article marks but article numbers are untouched. So
> after entering the group I can see only old subject names articles. New
> ones which do exist on the server are consequently seen as read by the gnus.

`M-c' doesn't fail for me:

,----[ Output of `G E' before `M-c' ]
| ("gmane.announce" 3
|  ((1 . 7483)
|   (7485 . 7492))
|  ((seen
|    (7448 . 7492))))
`----

Note that the read article ranges "(1 . 7483) (7485 . 7492)" disappear
after `M-c':

,----[ Output of `G E' after `M-c' ]
| ("gmane.announce" 3 nil nil)
`----

I noticed that `M c' doesn't clear the data in the .agentview file of
the group.  Maybe this matters.

,----[ cat News/agent/nntp/localhost/gmane/announce/.agentview ]
| ((7448 . 732279) (7449 . 732279) [...]
|  (7491 . 732279) (7492 . 732279))
`----

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: article reset on the server
@ 2005-11-29 11:05       ` rahed
From: rahed @ 2005-11-29 11:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

Reiner Steib <reinersteib+from-uce@imap.cc> writes:

>> M-c cleared all article marks but article numbers are untouched. So
>> after entering the group I can see only old subject names articles. New
>> ones which do exist on the server are consequently seen as read by the gnus.
>
> `M-c' doesn't fail for me:
>
> ,----[ Output of `G E' before `M-c' ]
> | ("gmane.announce" 3
> |  ((1 . 7483)
> |   (7485 . 7492))
> |  ((seen
> |    (7448 . 7492))))
> `----
>
> Note that the read article ranges "(1 . 7483) (7485 . 7492)" disappear
> after `M-c':
>
> ,----[ Output of `G E' after `M-c' ]
> | ("gmane.announce" 3 nil nil)
> `----
>
> I noticed that `M c' doesn't clear the data in the .agentview file of
> the group.  Maybe this matters.
>
> ,----[ cat News/agent/nntp/localhost/gmane/announce/.agentview ]
> | ((7448 . 732279) (7449 . 732279) [...]
> |  (7491 . 732279) (7492 . 732279))
> `----
>
> Bye, Reiner.
> --
>        ,,,
>       (o o)
> ---ooO-(_)-Ooo---  |  PGP key available  |  http://rsteib.home.pages.de/

Thank you for following me. After deleting .agentview for the group
everything is back to normal.

--

@ 2005-11-29 13:43       ` rahed
From: rahed @ 2005-11-29 13:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hope this the last question.

So I deleted .agentview and did M-c. When I start gnus or input g being
in groups I can see old numbering (big numbers) with the groups. M-g on
the particular group changes number to an actual value of unread
articles.  Probably there are some remnants of the old article numbering
in some config file but don't know where.

Thank you.
--

@ 2005-12-05  0:20   ` leon
From: leon @ 2005-12-05  0:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

Reiner Steib <reinersteib+from-uce@imap.cc> writes:

 | On Fri, Nov 25 2005, rahed wrote:
 |
 | > Hi, my server admin deleted messages so article numbers start from 1.
 | > Which way should I remove the old numbering of articles in my gnus?
 |
 | I guess that `gnus-group-clear-data' should help.
 |
 | ,----[ (info "(gnus)Group Data") ]
 | | `M-c'
 | |      Clear the data from the current group--nix out marks and the list
 | |      of read articles (`gnus-group-clear-data').
 | |
 | | `M-x gnus-group-clear-data-on-native-groups'
 | |      If you have switched from one NNTP server to another, all your
 | |      marks and read ranges have become worthless.  You can use this
 | |      command to clear out all data that you have on your native groups.
 | |      Use with caution.
 | `----

This seems doesn't work for me.

I have a local nnml archive group say it has 33 articles. Then I move the
33rd article to another group by 'B m'. So now this group has only 32
articles. However gnus always displays it has 33 articles. More over
when I copy another article to this group, it will start from 34 instead
of 33. Any ideas?

Cheers
--
.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:.
.     *                               .

* Re: article reset on the server
@ 2005-12-05 19:52     ` David Z Maze
From: David Z Maze @ 2005-12-05 19:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

leon <sdl.web@gmail.com> writes:

> I have a local nnml archive group say it has 33 articles. Then I move the
> 33rd article to another group by 'B m'. So now this group has only 32
> articles. However gnus always displays it has 33 articles. More over
> when I copy another article to this group, it will start from 34 instead
> of 33. Any ideas?

That's a totally different problem from what the OP had.  See the Gnus
FAQ, e.g. http://my.gnus.org/faq/html-chunks/FAQ.html#id2526579.  The
only way around it is to select every article in the group and move it
back to the same group so that your articles get renumbered.

(Say your group has articles 101...133.  You've moved article 133 away
but Gnus still remembers that 133 was the last article number, so the
next one is 134 and you have articles 101...134, even though 133 is
missing.  C-u M-RET M P b B m my.group.name will make the articles be
135...157, which is a contiguous block of 33 articles.  The OP's
problem was in nntp, not nnml, where the server administrator
renumbered the articles 1...33, horribly confusing Gnus.)

  --dzm

* Re: article reset on the server
@ 2005-12-05 20:23       ` leon
From: leon @ 2005-12-05 20:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

David Z Maze <dmaze@mit.edu> writes:

 | leon <sdl.web@gmail.com> writes:
 |
 | > I have a local nnml archive group say it has 33 articles. Then I move the
 | > 33rd article to another group by 'B m'. So now this group has only 32
 | > articles. However gnus always displays it has 33 articles. More over
 | > when I copy another article to this group, it will start from 34 instead
 | > of 33. Any ideas?
 |
 | That's a totally different problem from what the OP had.  See the Gnus
 | FAQ, e.g. http://my.gnus.org/faq/html-chunks/FAQ.html#id2526579.  The
 | only way around it is to select every article in the group and move it
 | back to the same group so that your articles get renumbered.
 |
 | (Say your group has articles 101...133.  You've moved article 133 away
 | but Gnus still remembers that 133 was the last article number, so the
 | next one is 134 and you have articles 101...134, even though 133 is
 | missing.  C-u M-RET M P b B m my.group.name will make the articles be
 | 135...157, which is a contiguous block of 33 articles.  The OP's
 | problem was in nntp, not nnml, where the server administrator
 | renumbered the articles 1...33, horribly confusing Gnus.)
 |
 |   --dzm

Many thanks. I'll try that.

--