* Split mail
@ 2022-02-23 22:40 Edouard Debry
From: Edouard Debry @ 2022-02-23 22:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Hello,

I try to split my mail with gnus, without much success at the moment.

Here is the relevant configuration section :

<========================================================================>
(setq gnus-select-method '(nnnil ""))

(setq gnus-secondary-select-methods
          '((nntp "gmane" (nntp-address "news.gmane.io"))
            (nnimap "gmail"
                    (nnimap-inbox "nnimap+gmail:INBOX")
	                (nnimap-address "imap.gmail.com")
	                (nnimap-server-port "imaps")
                    (nnir-search-engine imap)
	                (nnimap-stream ssl)
                    (nnimap-authinfo-file "~/.authinfo.gpg")
                    (nnmail-expiry-target "nnimap+gmail:[Gmail]/Corbeille")
                    (nnmail-expiry-wait 'immediate)
                    (nnimap-split-predicate "UNDELETED")
                    (nnimap-split-fancy
                     '(|
                       (to ".*emacs-orgmode@gnu.org" "orgmode")
                       "nnimap+gmail:INBOX"))
                    (nnimap-split-methods 'nnimap-split-fancy)
                    )))
<========================================================================>

As far as I understand, this should create a gnus group "orgmode" in
which gnus would move all received mails which Cc to
emacs-orgmode@gnu.org, because "to" searches both "To" and "Cc" fields.

But nothing so far happens.

If I change (nnimap-inbox "nnimap+gmail:INBOX") into (nnimap-inbox
"INBOX") and,

(nnimap-split-fancy
 '(
   (to ".*emacs-orgmode@gnu.org" "orgmode")
    "nnimap+gmail:INBOX"))

into
(nnimap-split-fancy
 '(
   (to ".*emacs-orgmode@gnu.org" "orgmode")
    "INBOX"))

then, I get the error :

Error in ‘nnmail-split-methods’; using ‘bogus’ mail group: (wrong-type-argument arrayp (| (to ".*emacs-orgmode@gnu.org" "nnimap+gmail:orgmode") "INBOX")) [39 times]

and a new folder appears on gmail server, named "bogus", with some mails
in it but which do not seem to follow the splitting rule.

What is wrong with my configuration ?

Regards

* Re: Split mail
@ 2022-02-27 16:17 ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2022-02-27 16:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Edouard Debry <edouard.debry@gmail.com> writes:

> Hello,
>
> I try to split my mail with gnus, without much success at the moment.
>
> Here is the relevant configuration section :
>

> <========================================================================>
> (setq gnus-select-method '(nnnil ""))
>
> (setq gnus-secondary-select-methods
>           '((nntp "gmane" (nntp-address "news.gmane.io"))
>             (nnimap "gmail"
>                     (nnimap-inbox "nnimap+gmail:INBOX")
> 	                (nnimap-address "imap.gmail.com")
> 	                (nnimap-server-port "imaps")
>                     (nnir-search-engine imap)
> 	                (nnimap-stream ssl)
>                     (nnimap-authinfo-file "~/.authinfo.gpg")
>                     (nnmail-expiry-target "nnimap+gmail:[Gmail]/Corbeille")
>                     (nnmail-expiry-wait 'immediate)
>                     (nnimap-split-predicate "UNDELETED")
>                     (nnimap-split-fancy
>                      '(|
>                        (to ".*emacs-orgmode@gnu.org" "orgmode")
>                        "nnimap+gmail:INBOX"))
>                     (nnimap-split-methods 'nnimap-split-fancy)
>                     )))
> <========================================================================>
>
> As far as I understand, this should create a gnus group "orgmode" in
> which gnus would move all received mails which Cc to
> emacs-orgmode@gnu.org, because "to" searches both "To" and "Cc" fields.
>
> But nothing so far happens.
>
> If I change (nnimap-inbox "nnimap+gmail:INBOX") into (nnimap-inbox
> "INBOX") and,
>
> (nnimap-split-fancy
>  '(
>    (to ".*emacs-orgmode@gnu.org" "orgmode")
>     "nnimap+gmail:INBOX"))
>
> into
> (nnimap-split-fancy
>  '(
>    (to ".*emacs-orgmode@gnu.org" "orgmode")
>     "INBOX"))
>
> then, I get the error :
>
> Error in ‘nnmail-split-methods’; using ‘bogus’ mail group: (wrong-type-argument arrayp (| (to ".*emacs-orgmode@gnu.org" "nnimap+gmail:orgmode") "INBOX")) [39 times]

Your entire select method config is already quoted, so there's no need
to additionally quote the value of `nnimap-split-methods' or
`nnimap-split-fancy'. And yes, the inbox should be a plain (unprefixed)
group name.

(Also, is there actually a `nnimap-authinfo-file' variable? What version
of Emacs/Gnus are you using?)

* Re: Split mail
@ 2022-03-02 22:21   ` Edouard Debry
From: Edouard Debry @ 2022-03-02 22:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

> Your entire select method config is already quoted, so there's no need
> to additionally quote the value of `nnimap-split-methods' or
> `nnimap-split-fancy'. And yes, the inbox should be a plain (unprefixed)
> group name.
>
> (Also, is there actually a `nnimap-authinfo-file' variable? What version
> of Emacs/Gnus are you using?)

Thanks !

I removed the unnecessary quotes and put the plain unprefixed inbox
group name and it works now.

Regards