* Mute a thread
@ 2013-02-04 21:36 Alexander Lamaison
From: Alexander Lamaison @ 2013-02-04 21:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Is there a way to get Gnus to ignore future messages in a particular
thread in a newsgroup?  Basically like the 'Mute' function in GMail?

Thanks.

Alex

--
Swish - Easy SFTP for Windows Explorer (http://www.swish-sftp.org)

* Re: Mute a thread
@ 2013-02-09 18:58           ` Lluís Vilanova
From: Lluís Vilanova @ 2013-02-09 18:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Anssi Saari writes:

> Kevin Brubeck Unhammer <unhammer@fsfe.org> writes:
>> Anssi Saari <as@sci.fi> writes:
>>
>>> What about T l? It's bound to gnus-summary-lower-thread and seems to work.
>>
>> It does! How do you make that permanent though?

> Yeah, I noticed the lack of permanence too, after posting of course...

> However, at least for me, L T RET works and creates a scorefile entry
> too so it's more permanent (although that's a temporary score so it goes
> away if it hasn't matched anything for a while).

This is what I use:
* Temporarily lower score by 200 on current Message-ID
* Temporarily lower score by 200 on current thread
* Hide current thread and move to next

#v+
(defun my-gnus-lower-thread ()                            ; lower thread score
     "Permanently lower score for a whole (sub)thread."
     (interactive)
     (kmacro-exec-ring-item (quote ([?\C-2 ?\C-0 ?\C-0 ?\C-0 ?L ?i ?e ?t ?\C-m] 0 "%d")) nil) ; message-id
     (kmacro-exec-ring-item (quote ([?\C-2 ?\C-0 ?\C-0 ?\C-0 ?L ?t ?f ?t ?\C-m] 0 "%d")) nil) ; thread
     (gnus-summary-hide-thread)
     (gnus-summary-next-thread 1))
#v-

Unfortunately, the process seems to be quite slow, and could not find any
suitable function to call instead of replaying keystrokes.

BTW, on some cases it seems to not work (what seem as replies to a lowered
thread do not get automatically lowered), but I'm not sure if that's because
other people's MUAs are breaking the headers.

Lluis

 Tollbooth

* Re: Mute a thread
       [not found]       ` <mailman.19063.1360069196.855.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
@ 2013-02-06  8:26         ` Anssi Saari
From: Anssi Saari @ 2013-02-06  8:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

@ 2013-02-05 12:55       ` Kevin Brubeck Unhammer
       [not found]       ` <mailman.19063.1360069196.855.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Kevin Brubeck Unhammer @ 2013-02-05 12:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Anssi Saari <as@sci.fi> writes:

> Kevin Brubeck Unhammer <unhammer@fsfe.org> writes:
>
>> Daimrod <daimrod@gmail.com> writes:

>>> You can lower its score based on the subject with 'L S RET'.
>>
>> It seems logical that 'L T RET' would decrease the score of a thread,
>> but that doesn't seem to happen :-/
>
> What about T l? It's bound to gnus-summary-lower-thread and seems to work.

It does! How do you make that permanent though?

--
Kevin Brubeck Unhammer

GPG: 0x766AC60C

* Re: Mute a thread
       [not found]   ` <mailman.19055.1360054060.855.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
@ 2013-02-05 12:26     ` Anssi Saari
       [not found]       ` <mailman.19063.1360069196.855.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Anssi Saari @ 2013-02-05 12:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

@ 2013-02-05  8:47   ` Kevin Brubeck Unhammer
       [not found]   ` <mailman.19055.1360054060.855.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Kevin Brubeck Unhammer @ 2013-02-05  8:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Daimrod <daimrod@gmail.com> writes:

> Alexander Lamaison <awl03@doc.ic.ac.uk> writes:
>
>> Is there a way to get Gnus to ignore future messages in a particular
>> thread in a newsgroup?  Basically like the 'Mute' function in GMail?
>
> You can lower its score based on the subject with 'L S RET'.

It seems logical that 'L T RET' would decrease the score of a thread,
but that doesn't seem to happen :-/

It's not always possible to lower subject scores, since subjects can be
a bit general some times.

I notice that 'L R RET' on the first message in a thread lowers all
_other_ messages in that thread, except for, ironically, the message to
which I am now replying (maybe a bug in my gnus, but it works on several
other threads I've tried in this group).

--
Kevin Brubeck Unhammer

GPG: 0x766AC60C

* Re: Mute a thread