* Is it possible to have two instances of the same group (from the same news server)?
@ 2015-09-21 14:07 N. Jackson
From: N. Jackson @ 2015-09-21 14:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

I would like to somehow duplicate a news group so that I have two
instances of it. That is, I want it to appear twice in the Group Buffer
and for the two instances of it to behave independently. Is there a way
to do this?

I realise that I could do this by subscribing to the group from two
different news servers, but this particular group is only on one
server, as far as I know.

The scenario is that I have just subscribed to a group and I want to
catch it up to the beginning of this month and thereafter read messages
as they come in. (That part is pretty standard, I guess.)

But I also eventually want to read all 60 000-odd messages
posted to the group since 2002, so I want another "copy" of the group
that isn't caught up that I can gradually read forward in time.

Does anyone have any suggestions how to do this?

Thanks.

* Re: Is it possible to have two instances of the same group (from the same news server)?
@ 2015-09-21 15:30 ` Adam Sjøgren
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2015-09-21 15:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

N. writes:

> I realise that I could do this by subscribing to the group from two
> different news servers, but this particular group is only on one
> server, as far as I know.

I guess you could add the same news-server twice under different names.

I.e. having something like this in your gnus-secondary-select-methods:

        (nntp "current"
              (nntp-address "yournewsserver")) ; this is the same
        (nntp "archive"
              (nntp-address "yournewsserver")) ; ... as this

Then you should be able to subscribe to nntp+current:yournewsgroup and
nntp+archive:yournewsgroup and to Gnus they are on different servers, so
they have different tracking of read/unread etc.

Let us know if it works :-)

  Best regards,

    Adam

--
 "Accept the mystery!"                                        Adam Sjøgren
                                                         asjo@koldfront.dk

* Re: Is it possible to have two instances of the same group (from the same news server)?
@ 2015-09-21 15:33   ` Adam Sjøgren
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2015-09-21 15:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Adam writes:

>         (nntp "archive"

("archive" may be a bad name...)

--
 "Everybody will be quick to agree that EMACS has a           Adam Sjøgren
  simple to learn user interface, at least to gain       asjo@koldfront.dk

* Re: Is it possible to have two instances of the same group (from the same news server)?
@ 2015-09-22 13:51   ` N. Jackson
From: N. Jackson @ 2015-09-22 13:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

At 12:30 -0300 on Monday 2015-09-21, Adam Sjøgren wrote:

> I.e. having something like this in your gnus-secondary-select-methods:
>
>         (nntp "current"
>               (nntp-address "yournewsserver")) ; this is the same
>         (nntp "archive"
>               (nntp-address "yournewsserver")) ; ... as this
>
> Let us know if it works :-)

Thanks Adam, that did indeed give me what I was looking for. (I called
the additional server "Dusty" on which I will be reading the ancient
news.)

That leads to a supplemental question: is there a way to rename an
existing server? I'm not even seeing a way of deleting existing servers
that are no longer used -- they seem to take on a phantom nature and
eternally haunt my server buffer.

* Re: Is it possible to have two instances of the same group (from the same news server)?
@ 2015-09-22 14:10     ` Adam Sjøgren
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2015-09-22 14:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

N. writes:

> Thanks Adam, that did indeed give me what I was looking for. (I called
> the additional server "Dusty" on which I will be reading the ancient
> news.)

Cool (good name!)

> That leads to a supplemental question: is there a way to rename an
> existing server? I'm not even seeing a way of deleting existing servers
> that are no longer used -- they seem to take on a phantom nature and
> eternally haunt my server buffer.

I don't know. You can kill servers in the *Server* buffer, but I can't
remember ever trying it.

If everything fails, you can try manual surgery on your ~/.newsrc.eld -
usually not that fun.

  Best regards,

    Adam

--
 "It seems like the finals for "least helpful answer          Adam Sjøgren