* Scoring
@ 2012-09-26 19:31 Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2012-09-26 19:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Hi all,

I use adaptive scoring for years, but now I wanted to upscore one thread
manually, too.  So I've hit `I T RET' in the summary with point on that
thread, but `V S' on it after reentering the summary shows that it was
only scored up 5 "dollars", not 1000 as suggested by the docstring of
`gnus-score-interactive-default-score'.

Incidentally, my adaptive scoring rules add the score 5 to read
messages.  So can it be that adaptive scoring overrides my manual
score changes?

Bye,
Tassilo

* Re: Scoring
@ 2012-09-26 21:49 ` Oleksandr Gavenko
From: Oleksandr Gavenko @ 2012-09-26 21:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

On 2012-09-26, Tassilo Horn wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I use adaptive scoring for years, but now I wanted to upscore one thread
> manually, too.  So I've hit `I T RET' in the summary with point on that
> thread, but `V S' on it after reentering the summary shows that it was
> only scored up 5 "dollars", not 1000 as suggested by the docstring of
> `gnus-score-interactive-default-score'.
>
> Incidentally, my adaptive scoring rules add the score 5 to read
> messages.  So can it be that adaptive scoring overrides my manual
> score changes?

Currently I have trapped to same issue. Look for response to me:

  http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.gnus.general/82354

  The usual reason for score not working as expected is that there is a
  different rule that lowers or rises the score.  Could eg. be a rule on
  the subject that classifies it as something you don't want to see.

I use adaptive scoring:

  ;; .emacs
  (setq gnus-default-adaptive-score-alist
      '(
        (gnus-unread-mark)
        (gnus-ticked-mark (subject 100))
        (gnus-dormant-mark (subject 100))

  ;; ~/.gnus/score/all.SCORE
    ("from"
     ("gavenkoa" 200 nil s))

and instead of getting 200 point for my articles I have 100 point as I
previously (so I reload Gnus and Emacs) mark some articles in thread with same
subject...

It is bad to have adaptive scoring that overwrite user setting with probably
have high height in most cases.

I interesting in this topic but have no time to research what happen.

--
Best regards!

* Re: Scoring
@ 2012-09-27  6:12   ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2012-09-27  6:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Oleksandr Gavenko <gavenkoa@gmail.com> writes:

Hi Oleksandr,

>> Incidentally, my adaptive scoring rules add the score 5 to read
>> messages.  So can it be that adaptive scoring overrides my manual
>> score changes?
>
> Currently I have trapped to same issue. Look for response to me:
>
>   http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.gnus.general/82354
>
>   The usual reason for score not working as expected is that there is a
>   different rule that lowers or rises the score.  Could eg. be a rule on
>   the subject that classifies it as something you don't want to see.
>
> I use adaptive scoring:
>
>   ;; .emacs
>   (setq gnus-default-adaptive-score-alist
>       '(
>         (gnus-unread-mark)
>         (gnus-ticked-mark (subject 100))
>         (gnus-dormant-mark (subject 100))
>
>   ;; ~/.gnus/score/all.SCORE
>     ("from"
>      ("gavenkoa" 200 nil s))
>
> and instead of getting 200 point for my articles I have 100 point as I
> previously (so I reload Gnus and Emacs) mark some articles in thread
> with same subject...
>
> It is bad to have adaptive scoring that overwrite user setting with
> probably have high height in most cases.

Thanks for confirming that there's indeed some problem here.  I'll go
and ask on the development list.

And the hint with `V t' to check how a score is computed also confirms
the issue.  For the thread I wanted to score manually, `V t' only shows
score contributions from adaptive scoring rules.

Bye,
Tassilo

* Re: Scoring
@ 2012-09-27  6:25     ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2012-09-27  6:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Tassilo Horn <tsdh@gnu.org> writes:

>> It is bad to have adaptive scoring that overwrite user setting with
>> probably have high height in most cases.
>
> Thanks for confirming that there's indeed some problem here.  I'll go
> and ask on the development list.
>
> And the hint with `V t' to check how a score is computed also confirms
> the issue.  For the thread I wanted to score manually, `V t' only shows
> score contributions from adaptive scoring rules.

No, I was wrong.  There's indeed a scoring entry from my manual scoring
intervention.  It just happens that scoring on `thread' (`I T') seems to
mean something different than what I've expected.

I'll open a new, more specific thread.

Bye,
Tassilo

* Re: Scoring
@ 2009-04-22 20:48   ` David Breton
From: David Breton @ 2009-04-22 20:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

On 22 Apr 2009, lgusenet@be-well.ilk.org wrote:

> David Breton <dbreton@cs.sfu.ca> writes:
>
>> I would like to have scoring do something and I can't figure out how to
>> do it so I thought I'd ask here.
>>
>> There's this guy on one of the newsgroup I read.  Every time he enters a
>> thread, it goes downhill really fast, you know the type.  So what I
>> would like to do is kill all the thread that he starts (not just his
>> posting in the thread, the whole thing).  Also when he enters a thread
>> started by someone else, I want to kill the whole subthread that he
>> started (again not just his postings but the whole tree rooted at the
>> point at which he entered).  I really hate that poster.
>>
>> So can this be done?  I looked at thread-mark-and-expunge but this is
>> not what I want because when he enters a thread, I don't want to kill
>> the entire thing, just the subthread for which he is the root.
>
> What you want is "lower on followup".
> Key sequence is "Lf".

This appears to be what I was looking for, thanks!

David

* Re: Scoring
@ 2009-04-22 12:03   ` Andrzej Adam Filip
From: Andrzej Adam Filip @ 2009-04-22 12:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Lowell Gilbert <lgusenet@be-well.ilk.org> wrote:

> David Breton <dbreton@cs.sfu.ca> writes:
>
>> I would like to have scoring do something and I can't figure out how to
>> do it so I thought I'd ask here.
>>
>> There's this guy on one of the newsgroup I read.  Every time he enters a
>> thread, it goes downhill really fast, you know the type.  So what I
>> would like to do is kill all the thread that he starts (not just his
>> posting in the thread, the whole thing).  Also when he enters a thread
>> started by someone else, I want to kill the whole subthread that he
>> started (again not just his postings but the whole tree rooted at the
>> point at which he entered).  I really hate that poster.
>>
>> So can this be done?  I looked at thread-mark-and-expunge but this is
>> not what I want because when he enters a thread, I don't want to kill
>> the entire thing, just the subthread for which he is the root.
>
> What you want is "lower on followup".
> Key sequence is "Lf".

Is it possible to "decay" followups?
[ high score for direct followups, lower score for followups to
followups and so on ]

Sometimes 3rd followup to "such guys" is interesting.

--
[pl>en Andrew] Andrzej Adam Filip : anfi@onet.eu : Andrzej.Filip@gmail.com
The faster I go, the behinder I get.

* Re: Scoring
@ 2009-04-22 11:42 ` Lowell Gilbert
From: Lowell Gilbert @ 2009-04-22 11:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

@ 2009-04-22  4:35 ` Richard Riley
From: Richard Riley @ 2009-04-22  4:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

David Breton <dbreton@cs.sfu.ca> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I would like to have scoring do something and I can't figure out how to
> do it so I thought I'd ask here.
>
> There's this guy on one of the newsgroup I read.  Every time he enters a
> thread, it goes downhill really fast, you know the type.  So what I
> would like to do is kill all the thread that he starts (not just his
> posting in the thread, the whole thing).  Also when he enters a thread
> started by someone else, I want to kill the whole subthread that he
> started (again not just his postings but the whole tree rooted at the
> point at which he entered).  I really hate that poster.
>
> So can this be done?  I looked at thread-mark-and-expunge but this is
> not what I want because when he enters a thread, I don't want to kill
> the entire thing, just the subthread for which he is the root.
>
> Any help would be appreciated,
>
> David

Seconded on that. I have a key to kill a thread at any one point, but an
"axis of bull" auto kill would be nice too.

* Scoring
@ 2009-04-22  0:01 David Breton