* unable to connect to server
@ 2012-07-27 19:32 prad
From: prad @ 2012-07-27 19:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

sometimes when i start gnus or look for new articles with g or M-g i get
the error unable to connect to server.

after a bit things are fine.

does the gmane server become inaccessible from time to time?
or have i setup things incorrectly somehow?

i have:

 gnus-select-method '(nntp "news.gmane.org"
                           (nntp-open-connection-function nntp-open-tls-stream)
                           (nntp-port-number 563)
                           (nntp-address "news.gmane.org"))

--
in friendship,
prad

* Re: unable to connect to server
@ 2012-07-27 20:06 ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2012-07-27 20:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

prad <prad@towardsfreedom.com> writes:

> does the gmane server become inaccessible from time to time?

I had some similar issues with gmane lately, too.  Sometimes it just
wasn't accessible for 10 or 15 minutes.

Bye,
Tassilo

* Re: unable to connect to server
@ 2012-07-27 22:42 ` Adam Sjøgren
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2012-07-27 22:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

On Fri, 27 Jul 2012 12:32:47 -0700, prad wrote:

> does the gmane server become inaccessible from time to time?
> or have i setup things incorrectly somehow?

If you telnet to it, you'll see that it rejects you because of high
load.

I wonder if Gnus could pick up the message and display it somehow.

  Best regards,

    Adam

--
 "You know, if the sun was an oboe, what would you do?"       Adam Sjøgren
                                                         asjo@koldfront.dk

* Re: unable to connect to server
@ 2012-07-28  0:03   ` prad
From: prad @ 2012-07-28  0:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

> you'll see that it rejects you because of high
> load.

ok thx tassilo and adam!
just wanted to be sure the problem wasn't at my end.

--
in friendship,
prad