* can nnmail-split-methods do both linking and moving?
@ 2009-12-30 18:27 subopt
From: subopt @ 2009-12-30 18:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

I'd like for my nnmail-split-methods to link certain matches to other
groups, and move other matches. Is this possible, or do i need to use
the fancy splitting approach?

Can someone give me a short example of how to do this, or point me to
one?

tia,
Eric

* Re: can nnmail-split-methods do both linking and moving?
@ 2010-01-05 18:57 ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2010-01-05 18:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

On Wed, 30 Dec 2009 10:27:39 -0800 (PST) subopt <subopt@gmail.com> wrote:

s> I'd like for my nnmail-split-methods to link certain matches to other
s> groups, and move other matches. Is this possible, or do i need to use
s> the fancy splitting approach?

s> Can someone give me a short example of how to do this, or point me to
s> one?

What do you mean by "link"?  Do you mean articles that belong to the
same thread?  If so, you can use the Gnus registry to split followups by
reference or by subject into the same group.

Ted

* Re: can nnmail-split-methods do both linking and moving?
@ 2010-01-12 16:28   ` subopt
From: subopt @ 2010-01-12 16:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

>> I'd like for my nnmail-split-methods to link certain matches to other
>> groups, and move other matches. Is this possible, or do i need to use
>> the fancy splitting approach?
>> Can someone give me a short example of how to do this, or point me to
>> one?

>What do you mean by "link"?  Do you mean articles that belong to the
>same thread?  If so, you can use the Gnus registry to split followups by
>reference or by subject into the same group.

By 'link' i'm referring to Section 6.3 of (my copy of) the manual,
where it
talks about normal (non-fancy) splitting:

    nnmh and nnml makes crossposts by creating hard links to the
crossposted
    articles. However, not all file systems support hard links. If
that's the
    case for you, set nnmailcrosspost-link-function to copy-file.
(This
    variable is add-name-to-file by default.)

And i'm not talking about threads at all, just the splitting of
incoming mail. I believe
these links actually default to symbolic links, not hard links, on
most unix/linux
systems these days, but some kind of link in any case.

So, i'm fine with many things being linked/crossposted by my
nnmail-split-methods, but i'd like some things to simply be moved
instead of
linked, leaving no link behind in my nnml:misc. Is this possible? If
so, how
do i go about it?

thanks in advance,

@ 2010-01-13 21:24     ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2010-01-13 21:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

On Tue, 12 Jan 2010 08:28:11 -0800 (PST) subopt <subopt@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> I'd like for my nnmail-split-methods to link certain matches to other
>>> groups, and move other matches. Is this possible, or do i need to use
>>> the fancy splitting approach?
>>> Can someone give me a short example of how to do this, or point me to
>>> one?

>> What do you mean by "link"?  Do you mean articles that belong to the
>> same thread?  If so, you can use the Gnus registry to split followups by
>> reference or by subject into the same group.

s> By 'link' i'm referring to Section 6.3 of (my copy of) the manual,
s> where it talks about normal (non-fancy) splitting:

Oh, I see.  Sorry for the confusion.

s>     nnmh and nnml makes crossposts by creating hard links to the
s> crossposted articles. However, not all file systems support hard
s> links. If that's the case for you, set nnmailcrosspost-link-function
s> to copy-file.  (This variable is add-name-to-file by default.)

s> And i'm not talking about threads at all, just the splitting of
s> incoming mail. I believe these links actually default to symbolic
s> links, not hard links, on most unix/linux systems these days, but
s> some kind of link in any case.

s> So, i'm fine with many things being linked/crossposted by my
s> nnmail-split-methods, but i'd like some things to simply be moved
s> instead of linked, leaving no link behind in my nnml:misc. Is this
s> possible? If so, how do i go about it?

You may be able to set nnmailcrosspost-link-function to copy-file before
the split rule and then set it back to add-name-to-file afterwards.  You
need to use fancy splitting for that, though:

... other fancy rules precede this
;; make sure this returns nil
(: (progn (setq nnmailcrosspost-link-function copy-file) nil))
... your special copy-file split rule here
;; make sure this returns nil
(: (progn (setq nnmailcrosspost-link-function add-name-to-file) nil))
... other fancy rules follow

This is 100% untested :)

Ted