* moving from imap to pop3; splitting w/links; tagging
@ 2009-11-23  4:06 subopt
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: subopt @ 2009-11-23  4:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

I've started using Gnus with my IMAP account, trying to sort out all
the concepts and config vars. Our IMAP server is so slow and buggy,
however, that i'd like to start fetching from our pop3 server, and
download all messages to my home dir.

I'm still pretty unsure of what i'm doing though. Can someone show me
what i need in my .gnus file to do the following? :

1. Download all messages from my pop account to ~/gnus-pop-email/.

2. Delete all downloaded email from the pop3 server.

3. Don't delete any local copies of any message until i specifically
   mark it to be deleted.

4. Always show every message i've fetched until i either delete it or
   score it below the standard threshold.

5. Set up splitting so i leave the actual messages in the INBOX, and
   just put links to them in their separate filtered boxes.

Also, what i'd really like is tagging. Is this currently possible?

* Re: moving from imap to pop3; splitting w/links; tagging
@ 2009-11-25 18:17 ` Frédéric Perrin
       [not found] ` <mailman.11495.1259173100.2239.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Frédéric Perrin @ 2009-11-25 18:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: subopt; +Cc: GNUS users

Le lundi 23 à 5:06, subopt a écrit :
> I'm still pretty unsure of what i'm doing though. Can someone show me
> what i need in my .gnus file to do the following? :
>
> 1. Download all messages from my pop account to ~/gnus-pop-email/.
>
> 2. Delete all downloaded email from the pop3 server.

For these two items, you will want to use fetchmail or getmail (the
second is actively maintained, with a responsive author). Configure it
to deliver mail to ~/gnus-pop-email/, and then in your .gnus:

(setq gnus-select-method '(nnnil "")
      ;; Where mails are to be found
      mail-sources '((maildir :path "~/gnus-pop-email/")
		     (file))
      ;; Where and how to store mail for Gnus' consumption
      message-directory "/donnees/prive/Mail/"
      gnus-secondary-select-methods '((nnml "ML"))
                    )

--
Fred

* Re: moving from imap to pop3; splitting w/links; tagging
@ 2009-12-01 20:55 ` Ted Zlatanov
       [not found] ` <mailman.11495.1259173100.2239.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2009-12-01 20:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

On Sun, 22 Nov 2009 20:06:04 -0800 (PST) subopt <subopt@gmail.com> wrote:

s> 5. Set up splitting so i leave the actual messages in the INBOX, and
s>    just put links to them in their separate filtered boxes.

Gnus doesn't support that.

s> Also, what i'd really like is tagging. Is this currently possible?

Yes, I recently wrote a long explanation of how to do it with the Gnus
registry.

Ted

@ 2009-12-10 18:42   ` subopt
From: subopt @ 2009-12-10 18:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

@ 2009-12-10 18:46   ` subopt
From: subopt @ 2009-12-10 18:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

[Please ignore my previous response.]

Thanks for the response. Took me a while to sort out the fetchmail
part,
because my client's system doesn't actually have fetchmail installed!
was able to do a local (~) install of getmail, and tested it out by
fetching and deleting all my email from the pop3 server. Then i set my
mail-sources as you see below.

I was trying to get gnus to use that same inbox file for all incoming
email, and get nnml to call my local install of getmail to fetch all
new
email. This is because we're not allowed to have cron jobs.

I've obviously gotten something wrong, because when nnml tries to
fetch
my mail, i get this in the mini-buffer:

    Password for <my login> at nil:

Also, when i try to do gnus-group-edit-group-parameters for
nnml:mail.misc, instead of giving me a nice customization buffer with
fields, buttons, etc, it gives me a '*Gnus edit form*' buffer that
says
to type C-c C-c after i'm done.

I'm obviously way off track, and don't really understand the
underlying
mechanics here. What do i have wrong now?

(setq gnus-select-method
      '(nntp "news.easynews.com"))

(setq mail-sources
    '( (file :path "/path/to/original/email/dumped/from/getmail/
inbox")
        (pop :program "/path/to/my/getmail")
         ))

(setq gnus-secondary-select-methods '((nnml "")))