* gnus and namazu, glimpse, swish-e or swish++ ?
@ 2006-06-30  9:12 Gijs Hillenius
From: Gijs Hillenius @ 2006-06-30  9:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi

I've been using swish++ to index and search for messages in gnus for
quite a while. Just out of curiosity I'm reading up on namazu, glimpse
and swish-e. Swish++ apparently is less than optimal for indexing
languages other than English. Which made me wonder -- would there be a
better index/search tool for my linguistically somewhat mixed
mailboxes?  Which do other gnus-users recommend?

Regards

Gijs

* Re: gnus and namazu, glimpse, swish-e or swish++ ?
@ 2006-07-15 20:07 ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2006-07-15 20:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, Jun 30 2006, Gijs Hillenius wrote:

> I've been using swish++ to index and search for messages in gnus for
> quite a while. Just out of curiosity I'm reading up on namazu, glimpse
> and swish-e. Swish++ apparently is less than optimal for indexing
> languages other than English. Which made me wonder -- would there be a
> better index/search tool for my linguistically somewhat mixed
> mailboxes?  Which do other gnus-users recommend?

Glimpse support will be dropped from nnir.el soon because it's
non-free software.

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: gnus and namazu, glimpse, swish-e or swish++ ?
@ 2006-07-16 22:31   ` John Sullivan
From: John Sullivan @ 2006-07-16 22:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

> On Fri, Jun 30 2006, Gijs Hillenius wrote:
>
>> I've been using swish++ to index and search for messages in gnus for
>> quite a while. Just out of curiosity I'm reading up on namazu, glimpse
>> and swish-e. Swish++ apparently is less than optimal for indexing
>> languages other than English. Which made me wonder -- would there be a
>> better index/search tool for my linguistically somewhat mixed
>> mailboxes?  Which do other gnus-users recommend?

I've recently switched to namazu for nnir because it seems to have better
support for searching on specific mail headers, and because it indexes so much
faster than swish-e (and with much less load while doing it).

But, for mail searching, if you are using maildir, check out mairix. I haven't
looked at integrating it into emacs yet, but it builds a maildir folder
containing links to the matching messages, which you can then browse in Gnus. I
can't believe how fast it searches -- it's unreal. I use mairix to search my
maildir groups and namazu on the nnml groups. But I plan on shifting everything
over to maildir (nnimap actually).

--
-John Sullivan1
-http://www.wjsullivan.net

* Re: gnus and namazu, glimpse, swish-e or swish++ ?
@ 2006-07-18 16:58     ` Michael Piotrowski
From: Michael Piotrowski @ 2006-07-18 16:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2006-07-17 John Sullivan <usenet@wjsullivan.net> wrote:

> But, for mail searching, if you are using maildir, check out mairix. I
> haven't looked at integrating it into emacs yet, but it builds a
> maildir folder containing links to the matching messages, which you
> can then browse in Gnus. I can't believe how fast it searches -- it's
> unreal.

Very true!  The indexing is also *very* fast.

I'm using a very simple "integration" into Gnus (I'm using nnml for
normal mail and nnfolder for archive groups).  I created a directory
~/Mail/search-results and put the following in ~/.mairixrc:

#v+
base=~/Mail
mh=mail...:list...
mbox=archive/sent-mail/[0-9][0-9][0-9][0-9]-[0-9][0-9]:archive/sent-news
mformat=mh
mfolder=search-results
database=/home/mxp/.mairix_db
#v-

I then added ~/Mail/search-results as a foreign nnmh group in Gnus (I
also made it "permanently visible" so that it's easier to find).  For
searching I simply use something like

  M-! mairix f:larsi RET g

in the Group buffer and I can then browse the results in the
search-results group.

The only minor annoyances are that I have to press g to update the
group before entering it the first time and that the message counts
are (understandably) *way* off.  Apart from that I'm very satisfied
with this setup: It's easy, fast, and transparent.

--
Michael Piotrowski, M.A.                               <mxp@dynalabs.de>
Public key at <http://www.dynalabs.de/mxp/pubkey.txt>